Highlighted
relevant
3 Argentium

RE: New Kaby Lake XPS 13: coil whine

Jump to solution

I remember seeing something like you A00 is really newer. I can't find the thread though. But I think they messed up with the numbering (i.e. your motherboard is actually the newer one). And yes, some have reported coil whine even with the newer motherboard.

Highlighted
gallantus
1 Copper

Jump to solution

That's because the current xps 13 with the 8th gen chip is still the same 9360 model, motherboard is still the same as the 8th gen chip uses the same socket as the 7th gen just that the 9360 mobo has different variations of revisions out there that reduces coil whine.

While your Mobo may report A00, it is likely that you have the latest revision Mobo bc Dell rep has stated somewhere on this thread that the Mobo has issues reporting the correct revision and the only way to find the real revision number is by opening up the laptop to look at the sticker on the Mobo.

Either way, there is NO Mobo revision for the 9360 that completely eliminates the coil whine.  So if coil whine is completely unacceptable to you, like to most folks on this forum and myself, then you are better off waiting for the true 9370.

Check out one of my post on the the below about 9370, in the meantime return that *** 9360 you just got, you got 30 days.

en.community.dell.com/.../20014657

Highlighted
relevant
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

Note that I don't think it's guaranteed that the 9370 will fix the coil whine issue. Hopefully it at least reduces the noise. I don't know if I have deaf ears or what, but I don't notice any coil whine problems with my 9343.

Highlighted
adriaurora
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Has the new 9360 XPS 13, with the 8th intel generation, coil whine? Because im looking for buying the XPS, and the normal use i´ll give to it is in a library. Thanks in advance

Highlighted
pimou1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I'am very interested by the XPS i7-7500U Ubuntu but those coil noise problems make me hesitate a lot !

What other laptop models are compatible with Linux ?

Highlighted
Jetech
1 Copper

Jump to solution

i have the coil whine issue on my new 9360 xps13 as well. $1300+ and it comes with this kind of issue? unacceptable. im up to bios 2.3.1 and the issues persists. My replacement unit also has it!

colecc
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Justin, I bought my laptop like couple days ago and its already having this issue. Am I eligible to mail in and exchange for another one with A02 board?

Highlighted
flolivaud
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hello, i bought my laptop 2 weeks ago, and its already having the issue too. I've check my motherboard, it's the A00.

What can i do ?

Highlighted

Jump to solution

@Colecc and Flolivaud

The motherboard revision numbers was addressed here: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/os-applications/f/4613/p/19992655/20999354#20999354

@Community,

I would now like to re-share some history and then provide an update as to where we’re at.

Motherboard History:

-Systems manufactured before Jan 1 2017 will show A00 ( we all know this )

-Systems manufactured between Jan 1 2017 and mid February 2017 will show A02 motherboards ( I don't  have the exact date in February )

-Systems shipped after mid February 2017 will have new part numbers that will show as A00

-This is due to an internal numbering change and not a physical motherboard change. When the part number changed, the A-revision number was set back to zero ( A00 )

-These new part numbers implemented in mid February 2017 and onward are the same motherboards as  the A02 motherboards shipped between Jan 1 2017 and Mid February 2017and therefore contain the reduced noise fix. They just have different numbers on them

-These new part numbers are available at the factory and are also available in service stock. They're outlined in SLN305206 ( give this document ID to Dell tech support if you call )

BIOS Update History:

-After the implementation of above motherboard changes, some noise still remained

-Dell worked to improve even further and on July 21st 2017 Dell released 1.3.7 BIOS which had changes in order to lower noise. The change was described in the release notes as: "Optimize CPU loading to improve EE noise"

-The "Optimize CPU loading" change that was introduced in BIOS 1.3.7 caused other issues including latency between system and USB devices connected through the TB16 dock

-On August 4 2017 BIOS 1.3.7 was removed and replaced with 2.1.0

-The "Optimize CPU loading" fix was carried over to 2.1.0

-On October 25th 2017 Dell released 2.3.1 in which the "Optimize CPU loading" fix was removed, resolving the USB issues

Where we’re at today regarding BIOS update:

-Dell has further improved the “Optimize CPU loading” solution and On December 12th 2017 XPS 13 9360 2.4.2 BIOS was released.

Notes:

-New 9360 systems manufactured after Jan 19th 2018 will have 2.4.2 installed at factory

-BIOS 2.4.2 is meant to lower noise, not eliminate it

-It’s highly likely that any remaining ‘coil noise’ heard after implementation of 2.4.2 will be deemed as working within specification

Please install 2.4.2 and feel free to share your feedback here. I’ve been assured by Dell engineering that the new changes have been thoroughly tested in order to prevent the USB issue from returning.

Justin C Dell Technical Support | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Jofp
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Do we have a fix for this? i got my laptop March 1, 2018 and started hearing the coil whine when laptop is under load. I can also hear clicking sounds. Please let me know if there is a fix else I'm returning this.

Edit: Computer Specs below

XPS 13 9370
8th Gen i7
8GB RAM
256 GB SSD