mapastr
1 Nickel

RE: New Kaby Lake XPS 13: coil whine

Jump to solution

Same problem here, new laptop and I can hear the noise. It's bearable but annoying on a new laptop. Will it be fixed?

0 Kudos
AshAlex
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Well I can confirm that Dell has given the same answer to me since 2013 ...I have had great customer service from Dell UK Pro Support ...have had 3 machines 9330, 9350 and now the 9360 all have coil whine. If this is what Dell intended to do they would've done so when they launched the 9350. Optimistic? Not really.... thanks!

Ash

Jump to solution

It's unbearable..... I'm currently working on my thesis (just basic wordprocessing and browser) and I hear the coil whine all the time.
It's like my laptop is telling me to stop working Smiley Wink

@Dell: please fix this, because it's taking a way the fun of an otherwise good product... I really love my 9360 DE, but the coil whine is a pain Smiley Sad

alice11111
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

They did change another motherboard and it didn't solve the issue. So this was the third motherboard. Also I suspect something must have gone wrong with third motherboard replacement because the temperature is now 90-100C even when idled. This made the laptop unusable.

Since I bought it, i haven't used it at all.

Not a very good experience.

gardiner.d
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Even at idle? The heat sink must not be seated properly. It is a very simple to fix - get Dell to send a technician to your place and reapply the thermal paste & re-seat the heat sink.

As is, the thermal throttling must render it unusable.

For the coil whine I got this news from Justin :

*Currently, we’re simply waiting for the hardware fix to be released. It should be out next month.

Jump to solution

good news thanks for updating us Gardiner.D

what does this mean for us though?

will this fix only be applied for "new" models that haven't been shipped yet, or even for us, who bought it a couple of weeks/months ago?!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@Xps_ubuntu16,

Dell is work on solutions for systems already purchased as well as making changes in the manufacture process, in order to prevent future orders from shipping with the noise.

I won't make any promises yet but we could potentially see the solution released before the end of January.

Justin C

Dell Technical Support L3 | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

gallantus
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Will the fix for existing XPS13 9360 require the customers to send the unit back for haedware part(s) replacement?  I am concerned with the quality and craftsmanship of the technician replacing the part(s) as I have sent in a laptop for hardware replacement in the past with Dell and my laptop came back falling apart.

0 Kudos
Greg_FR
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thank you very much Justin.

I have two DELL XPS 9360 (great computers !) : one of them is almost silent and the other one has noticeable coil whine that can be bothering in silent rooms. I'm very interested by the fix for the affected one.

Please keep us posted on the fix and also on how to get it (personnally, I'm skilled enough even to do a motherboard swap by myself).

0 Kudos
ciprian.dell
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I am the new but not proudly owner of a Dell XPS 13 9360. Unfortunately, I have the same issue with the "coil whine" noise. This machine is the second one I get after returning the first one. The first one was returned for a display issue and also for this horrible noise. The second one has the same noise Smiley Sad. This is my first Dell machine and I am not happy at all. It's simply unacceptable for a top product like this to have such an issue. I love this product, it's a great one, but, it also has this huge issue. After browsing the internet to better understand this issue, I don't see any software solution. This looks like a hardware problem and I doubt that Dell will find a way to solve this issue for the machines that were already sold. Maybe Dell will surprise me with a software solution in the next 20 days, otherwise, I will return this one as well. Taking into consideration that this is not a new issue for Dell (being also present on the last generations of XPS), I doubt that they are even trying to solve it...