emm.vog
1 Nickel

RE: New Kaby Lake XPS 13: coil whine

Jump to solution

Same here, but my one month xps is screaming also when it is not in AC. I have turned on silent power mode but nothing.. Also I have noticed that turning on and off the touchscreen reduces or increases the battery life of the machine. In any case I feel that the laptop has to be returned and get a replacement. Too bad because in general I really like it.

Having switched from MacBook family, I am still confident that Dell will release an update to fix the coil whine, otherwise I will return it back and go back to an mbp.

0 Kudos
emm.vog
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I have uploaded 3 videos with the coil whine noise. <deleted Forum violation>

www.youtube.com/watch

Syed_Listening
1 Copper

Jump to solution

XPS 13 Kaby Lake (9360) is an incremental update from Dell with Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C charging and NVMe drive support. 

0 Kudos
LFDC89
1 Copper

Jump to solution

According to this issue, I'm not going to buy this ultrabook. I don't trust in future solution and I think that for a top level laptop a noise like this is unacceptable.

I am very disappointed because I was totally fascinated by this model

Jump to solution

LFDC89,

I understand your frustration and hesitation.   To say this only affects a subset of the systems is not helpful but we are working on a solution and things are looking promising.

I realize it may be too late for your time frame but I do appreciate your interest and hopefully we can deliver a system that you will feel comfortable with.

Thanks

Barton George

Ervytis
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Any ideas on the time frame for this? I am interested in buying this particular model, however coil whine is a big deal breaker for me. I might buy this in few months but it seems that this problem has been around for a long time with no resolution, even new models released had the same issue as previous ones.

If I am to buy this laptop and then fix comes out in 2-3 months or so, will I be able to get it applied even if it's hardware based fix?

emamul.ahmed
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi,

Can you guess how much time will take to get the solution? Will XPS 13 9350 get the fix?

There's also speaker crackle problem while streaming multiple video at the same time or rendering video. Hope it will also get fixed.

0 Kudos
dietchinator
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi. I'm not sure what happened to my earlier post - maybe moderators didn't approve it?

Anyways, can anyone tell me if orders are on hold while this is fixed? I have ordered an i7 XPS13 from a retailer on New Years Eve and it's still to arrive, presumably from Dell NZ. If orders are on hold while it gets fixed, all good. But if I might receive an old stock one with the whine, I think I should cancel my order and get a refund.

Can anyone from Dell give us a status update on the fix and whether shipments are currently on hold please?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi,

shipping usually takes 3-4 weeks for the laptop to arrive,....so I wouldn't worry about that. I believe your laptop will be with you shortly Smiley Wink

curtvaughan2
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

My new Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition will be arriving tomorrow, a 9360 with Ubuntu 16.04.  Is the whining issue also on the DE machines? I guess I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

0 Kudos