Jump to solution

remember to do not update the bios.

Otherwise Ubuntu will no longer boot.

Cheers

emamul.ahmed
1 Nickel

RE: New Kaby Lake XPS 13: coil whine

Jump to solution

I'm please let us know here after you confirm.

curtvaughan2
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

By updating the BIOS, are you referring to firmware updates? I've been reading about firmware updates being a mixed bag - fix some things, break others. Anyway, my box has been delayed a day for delivery so am reading up while I can.

0 Kudos
curtvaughan2
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Will do. Delivery has been delayed another day, so will inform as soon as I have time to experiment.. This box will have a 512 GB SSD, so my plan is to install a couple of Linux distros on it.  Ubuntu isn't my favorite, but I will play with it upon delivery just to see what kinks might be awaiting me with the hardware if I install new systems. Eventually I'll likely install Mint and Manjaro, perhaps eventually delving into Arch. But first things first. I'm just glad Dell is making an effort to appease Linux folks. Cheers.

0 Kudos
emm.vog
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi, I installed today some new drivers that I found on Dell support page for 9360. They were updated on January. They were chipset drivers, video driver, and audio driver

9360_Video_Driver_45YYV_WN32_21.20.16.4526_A01

Audio_Driver_39YW9_WN32_6.0.1.7989_A02

check them and tell me ... after a restart I do not hear the coil whine noise... can anyone verify ?

Update ,,, still can hear the coil whine noise, but it is less loud now Smiley Happy that is an improvement at least ...

0 Kudos
emamul.ahmed
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Play 3 youtube videos at the same time at 1080p. Then open facebook and scroll. Please let us know if coil whine is fixed.

0 Kudos
emm.vog
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

well I can hear it but less than before that is for sure.. I will do more tests later. try to update the latest drivers and do a check

0 Kudos
curtvaughan2
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I received my new Dell XPS 13 today. A few things:

1. I get no whine so far.

2. Ubuntu suggests updating from 16.04 (stable) to 16.10. I gave it a shot and my wireless no longer worked, so used my recovery USB to get back to square one.

3. I attempted to install a dual boot with Fedora 25, but the Fedora install corrupted the Ubuntu 16.04 boot, so again used my recovery USB to get back to square one.

4. On initial system setup, DEFINITELY generate the recovery ISO and allow the setup process to create the USB. It saved me tons of headaches a couple of times.

I'm unsure why these problems occurred, but will now investigate. I'm thinking that the Dell engineers did a lot of tweeking to get 16.04 to behave nicely with the new XPS hardware configuration. I'm wondering if a previous poster was referring to the Ubuntu 16.10 update (as opposed to BIOS).  It is also possible to select a flash BIOS upgrade, but I have not yet ventured there.

0 Kudos
HuffHuff
1 Copper

Jump to solution

just adding another voice to the coil Whine.

Use my XPS for traveling photo editing, in Lightroon, and its whining all the time in that Adobe program.  (headphones in and I'm ok, others round me, less so)

0 Kudos
zkiss
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am waiting on the coil whine issue to be fixed, then planning to buy the XPS 13. If nothing better comes out until then.

0 Kudos