Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2017 14:00

Precision 5520 with Ubuntu

Wondering if there is a document that describes that correct set of drivers, packages, etc to reconfig a Precision 5520 with Ubuntu. Downloaded Recovery Image from Web site but this fails writing to nvmen0 SSD device

Seen the following with a native Ubuntu 16.04 ISO install:

- Failure to write grub to /nvmen0 when attempting to use full disk encryption

- Hang on boot (fixed by using acpi=off idle=nomwait from suggestion on reddit but not clear why needed)

- Missing display resolutions (particularly a set between UHD and 1080)

- Unable to see Wifi during initial install

Some of the above I have fixed by:

- Using Intel Kaby Lake microcode and Intel graphics drivers from o1.org

- NVidia-378 drivers

- libinput changes for touchpad 

- Enabling above proprietary drivers rather than nouveau for XWindows

- 1820 Wifi drivers (from dell image)

Is there a good document that describes what Dell uses to factory build a machine and location of correct drivers? Haven't found this anywhere on Dell support site and Dell telephone support said they only support Linux for 7 days (!).

2 Posts

August 11th, 2017 00:00

Hi nycnewman,

did you receive an answer to this question on any other channel? It seems you posted your questions more than 5 months ago.

I would also be very interested to know the answers to these questions. I consider buying a Precision 5520 (full spec: UHD display, Xeon CPU, ...), but one of the most important criteria when I choose new laptops for my business is flawless Linux compatibility. Dell offering the Precision Laptops with Linux pre-installed is the main reason I consider switching to Dell, but only if that means that I can expect a high quality technical support, same as any Windows user. This includes Documentation about the necessary changes to stock Ubuntu 16.04 that allows me to install the OS on my own and lets me make an informed choice about installing any other Distribution.

I would also expect to be able to call the support hotline or get a timely response to support requests here on tech center. Did the hotline really tell you that Linux is only supported for 7 days? That would be a deal breaker for me, since it would send a clear signal to me as a customer that Linux support is not taken seriously by Dell.

I would really love to see Dell's Project Sputnik to gain more traction, after all it is a terrific endeavor endeavor to promote the use of Linux for Desktop users and as such unique among enterprise Laptop manufacturers.

3 Posts

August 14th, 2017 08:00

The official answer from Support still appears to be 7 days of software support and one year for hardware.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

August 15th, 2017 15:00

Greetings Nycnewman and Fge42,

Thank you for your questions.

I did some searching around regarding the nvmen0 concern. I found this here: bugs.launchpad.net/.../1507505

That's the best I could find as encryption is out of scope for Dell, when speaking in the context Sputnik models.

Dell doesn't have a public document outlining Dell specific changes to the OS. You can likely look inside of the .debs to find out more. Further, there's no public Dell document regarding how to manage modules ( drivers ) for the OEM Ubuntu image.

In regards to the 7 days there are multiple levels of support: Basic Support, Premium Support and ProSupport. The 7 day period is for a specific situation under a specific level of support. I can explain it as follows: For systems that shipped with Ubuntu and Basic Support, Dell will support re installation of the OEM operating system within 7 days of delivery but only if the hard drive had to be replaced within that 7 days. Ubuntu units with Premium Support and ProSupport have OEM OS re installation support for the duration of the entitlement period purchased.

2 Posts

July 25th, 2020 04:00

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I too have fallen for the assumption that the 5520 will work fine with linux. I'm using MX Linux 19 (Deb10) and have a big issue with the touch-pad and mouse. Ive also multi-boot to Win7 (hence the need to move to linux) Linux Mint, and MXL18.

The comment " - libinput changes for touchpad " tweaked my interest.
The problem is less evident on Win 7 but still annoying.
Its taken me a while to work out why the mouse/touchpad is so "unstable"

The Problem shows on both mouse and touchpad, and all OS's and other wired USB mice, but will describe touchpad symptoms.:

1. when moving finger over pad it takes a random number of "dots" for the cursor to move. Its not time based but displacement based.

2. Then the movement is a bit jumpy, unsteady.

3. Upon stopping the finger input the cursor moves on a few pixels before stopping. Again my perception is that its a number of pixels rather than mS.

This just make using the Lappy unbearable.

So I'm wondering if there are any changes to libinput for touchpad and mouse that are implemented in the supported Dell version of Ubuntu that I can make to MX Linux   to fix this. Maybe its a PID priority or something.?

Help greatly appreciated as this very expensive machine will be a doorstop if it cannot be fixed.

No Events found!