Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 22nd, 2018 04:00

Precision 5530 - when will it be sold with Ubuntu installed?

The new Precision 5530 is listed for sale without an Ubuntu configuration option as at 22 May 2018: http://www.dell.com/en-uk/work/shop/cty/pdp/spd/precision-15-5530-laptop/xctop5530emea

When will the Precision 5530 be sold with an Ubuntu install option?

• 

16.7K Posts

August 28th, 2018 09:00

xemly and other Ubuntu Users,

I have just received an email from the Linux Marketing and Development team member. He informed me that the Precision 5530 Ubuntu edition has officially gone live. Expect an announcement within a couple of days via blogs.

• 

16.7K Posts

xemly,

I have not heard when or if the Precision 5530 will be sold with Ubuntu.

2 Posts

Jesse,

Can you let Dell's decision makers know I would buy the Precision 5530 if it is sold with Ubuntu?

It would be a shame for Dell to not continue the Linux option from the Precision 5520 to the new Precision 5530.

1 Message

May 25th, 2018 09:00

Yes Jesse,

It's a shame that the Precision 5530 is not being made available with a Linux option. In my case, it's a deal breaker. Like xemly, I'd have bought a Precision 5530 if it was sold with Linux as an option.

1 Message

June 1st, 2018 07:00

according to https://bartongeorge.io/2018/05/24/welcome-the-new-dell-precision-developer-editions/ the precision 5530 will "soon" be sold with linux. The 3530 already is...

2 Posts

June 2nd, 2018 02:00

I was going to go the route an purchase a Dell Precision, but after doing a little research I have found that all is not what it should be in the the Land of Dell.

It seems like even the Precision 5520, that is supposed to support Ubuntu, actually only supports Dells OEM version of it. So if you want to upgrade to bleeding edge Ubuntu, its a no go... Also you can't install a different version of Linux even if you wanted, as Dell don't provide the drivers you require. This is a very poor business decision if what I've been reading is true.

And it makes absolutely  no sense to prevent buyers of the 5520 Windows version, from changing to Ubuntu. The only reasoning I can assume, is pressure from Microsoft.

If your listening Dell, please could you provide some clarity on this!

10 Posts

June 5th, 2018 03:00

Absolutely agree.

I'm going to buy a portable workstation (Precision 5530, if DELL) with Ubuntu and ONLY WITH Ubuntu (or other Linux distribution): if I have to buy a PC and then install Linux (and permanently delete Windows) I prefer to find something else (without considering the money for a license I would never use).

8 Posts

June 27th, 2018 12:00

Running Fedora 28 on the 5530.  Kept a small Windows partition for dual boot, to flash and load drivers which might load new firmware. Had some issues with Secure Boot and signing nvidia driver for Quadro P2000m. Gave up (probably too soon, but had to get work done) and turned it off.  pm-suspend/-hibernate does not work. Not sure why, as lots of dell specific modules load, lacking acpi module?  Other than, its very fast. 1TB M2.SSD. Very satisfied so far, except for lacking suspend/hibernate.  

1 Message

July 9th, 2018 13:00

https://bartongeorge.io/2018/05/24/welcome-the-new-dell-precision-developer-editions/ Seems to indicate that it will be available at some point.  If there is any update on this that would be amazing. Thanks!

3 Posts

July 17th, 2018 11:00

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/05/dell-precision-3530-ubuntu   Dell has specifically announced the 5530 will get Ubuntu Linux.  My 5510 came with Ubuntu (14.04!) and I immediately ripped it off and put Linux Mint 18, which is Ubuntu 16.04 based, onto it and I've been running fine with it for over a year. 

1 Message

July 26th, 2018 09:00

I just want to share my experience with this model.

My IT guy insisted on getting it pre-loaded with Windows back in June, not that we have any other option from what I read here. After I received it, I immediately tried to erase the Windows OS, and to put on the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

First surprise, the Ubuntu installer does not load at all. After some reading around, I came to the realization that my old 2.0 USB drive is to the blame. It turns out that this model (precision 5530), or maybe the latest Intel CPU processor, has completely done away with USB 2.0

So I bought a new USB 3.0 drive, and tried the installation again. This time the installer did load, and ran to completion. However, there are two issues. First, the Restart or the Power Off operation does not work on the Live version of Ubuntu 18.04. Second, with the OS installed, the machine can boot up to the login screen. But after the user logs in, nothing happens; even the mouse cursor freezes in place and can not be moved.

I was not able to do any diagnostics ; I do not even know how to boot Ubuntu 18.04 into the recover mode. Keep in mind that I haven't been able to boot into Ubuntu at all and install any diagnostic tools that might be needed.

Just before I was going to return the machine to my IT guy, I thought I would try some other distros. I tried CentOS 7. I did not succeed, probably because the kernel version from this distro is too old for this machine.

I then tried Debian 9.5. The installation went through without any problems. The OS itself also appears running just fine. The only remaining issue is that the wireless network is not functioning at all. Again, after some digging, I think I find the problem. The wireless chipset on this model is Intel 9620, which is supported in Linux starting from 4.14. Debian 9.5 only has Linux kernel 4.9. In order to have the wireless working, it seems that I need to move on to Debian Testing, which has Kernel 4.17. 

August 17th, 2018 09:00

Thanks for sharing your linux installation experience.

I also want to buy very soon (September 2018) a 5530 with Linux preloaded. Please Dell, let us know when it will be available.

August 23rd, 2018 11:00

I just checked the Precision 5530 order page and there is an OS option for Ubuntu 16.04.

I'm guessing the offical announcement should come soon?

4 Posts

September 21st, 2018 23:00

There is still no Linux OS option for the U.S. Dell site!  When will this option be offered?

No Events found!