Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 20th, 2015 12:00

Pricing madness and WiFi issues on the New XPS 13 (UK)

I ordered the Windows version in eager anticipation of full Linux support of the New XPS 13 before the developer edition was officially announced. It arrived a few days ago and I was disappointed to find out that the version shipped to me has a Broadcom WiFi adaptor not supported by Linux and that the developer edition ships with an Intel adaptor.

My question is, can I just buy an Intel 7265 adaptor and install that to have a laptop which is hardware equivalent to the Developer Editions?

I would prefer to return the model I have and replace it with a Developer Edition machine but I paid £800 for my current machine and the Developer Editions are £863 with VAT. I can't swallow the pill of paying more for a machine identical in every way but a cheap WiFi module.

15 Posts

April 22nd, 2015 00:00

Just to clear some things up:

1. The Broadcom module is supported by Linux, via a proprietary driver. In most Linux distros (including the ubiquitous Ubuntu) this driver is not loaded during installation, so you need some other way to connect to your wifi AP. Most people find USB tethering their phone to be the simplest solution. Once installed, the driver is either automatically loaded or installing an additional package could be required (in Fedora, for example).

2. You can buy an Intel 7265 module on Amazon for 30 quid.

(ps: your machine is not identical to the DE version - it has 4GB memory and 128GB SSD, while the DE is a 8GB/256GB config...)

3 Posts

April 22nd, 2015 04:00

Haha, actually I just brought it when there was a deal on and got the 8GB/256GB model for just £800.

I spoke to somebody from Sputnik on IRC about it and he confirmed that the developer editions ship with Broadcom WiFI. He told me that the only models that ship with the 7265 are those with remote management features sold to large companies and are not available to the public.

I am quite dissapointed that Dell did not decide to ship the DE with the Intel adaptor. It would have been far better to ship with a card which does not require proprietary drivers. Apparently their hands were tied and they had to use the same hardware as the Windows models.

I am going to get the 7625 from Amazon, but IMHO this is fuss I should not have had to deal with. Dell should not have shipped a laptop with a Broadcom WiFi adaptor and marketed it as "works with linux". Arguably it does not work with Linux because there is no mainline driver for the WiFi.

3 Posts

April 22nd, 2015 06:00

To play the devil's advocate, they never said it  "works with Linux" - they just happen to have a configuration with a special version of Ubuntu preinstalled and with support.

s/Ubuntu\|Linux/Windows/g

This is a silly argument to make. I am experiencing poor WiFi reliability and it is entirely down to Dell choosing to ship a Linux laptop with a WiFi module from one of  the most notoriously Linux
unfriendly manufactures.

15 Posts

April 22nd, 2015 06:00

To play the devil's advocate, they never said it  "works with Linux" - they just happen to have a configuration with a special version of Ubuntu preinstalled and with support.

Also I have to add that the Sputnik developer team went out of their way to make sure that the known bugs and issues are fixed not just in their release but also in the mainline kernel. I think it would have taken much longer had the Sputnik project not existed.

Yes, I am also a bit disappointed by not having the 7265 by default, but you really can't complain given the price (especially with the deal you got... if you still feel that this was a rip-off, go buy a Thinkpad X1, which is much better quality and has excellent Linux support OOB, though it costs around £1500 with a similar config... your choice).

3 Posts

May 8th, 2015 16:00

Hello,

First of all the idea of buying an intel 7625 was quite refreshing. I was about to return the laptop. May I ask you if you had the chance in the meantime to install the 7625 in it?

15 Posts

May 9th, 2015 04:00

I'm still waiting for the package to arrive (bought it on Amazon from a 3rd party dealer - the first time it was sent it got lost). I will give you an update if and when it arrives... 

No Events found!