Linux Developer Systems

Last reply by 06-03-2013 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Profile/Cloud tool on Release Sputnik

I got one of the released Sputnik Laptops and I'd like to get started with the profile and cloud tools, where do I find them?  Is there some installation still needed?

Replies (15)

@Andriod, at this point the cloud launcher is made up of LXC and JuJu which both come with the laptop. We have also kicked off a public effort on github to expand this to other platforms and technologies github.com/.../sputnik-cloudlauncher. Also on github is our effort around the profile tool which is in its early stages right now github.com/.../sputnik-profile.  Feel free to dive in and offer any thoughts, suggestions or code :)

Barton George

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

We're having this same discussion both here and on your blog, I'll continue mostly here.  

I've forked both repos and will try to work with them, though I haven't done Ruby for some years and don't really want to get into the core of this project, maybe you'll see a patch or two.  It would be easier if I had some sort of tool that would download the basic, standard, Ruby development tools, sort of a ruby developer profile... ;-)

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Does anyone have a good getting started guide to recommend?  I think I should be able to get LXC and/or juju to let me bring up a mail server that I can use locally to test some Java code against. The code would like to send and receive some mail via pop and smtp.

The other thing I'd love to get started with is the profile tool to deploy sets of development tools to classes, has anyone looked at that?  There's atleast one step missing before "gem install sputnik-cli" in the getting started section on git too, I've forked it and maybe investigation will make that clear.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Having similar build issues with installing sputnik. Does it seem cli was renamed to sputnik1?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

sputnik1 doesn't include the commands that sputnik-cli is meant to have, such as sputnik init. I think the main issue is that sputnik-cli is not actually an available ruby gem.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Is there a makefile to turn the files on github into one?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Does not seem like it.  I love the concept but pretty disappointing state of the project.

We are bringing someone on board to help get this in a little better shape.  We've had a bunch of hurdles to jump thru on our side and we are very close (fingers crossed) to getting this going.  Please stay tuned!

Barton George

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I am happy with my DE even without the two tools. I would not call these tools in beta on the product page but its a cool concept and I support your efforts.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor