Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

April 16th, 2016 14:00

Sound issue when resuming XPS13 DE

Occasionally (every 5th time?) I see a "you've added a new sound device" prompt when resuming, and have no sound on my Skylake XPS13 DE. When opening the Sound settings, I see that three instances of "HDMI / Displayport" have been added, and that "Headphones" has been selected as the default output device.

No changing of options will restore sound, only a reboot will fix it.

Why does the machine / Ubuntu sometimes think I've plugged in a new device?

18 Posts

April 16th, 2016 16:00

I do not get the message the you comment about but I have noticed wrong selected audio output after resuming from time to time after resuming.

25 Posts

April 17th, 2016 12:00

Same here. Tried to fix it with a script which kills pulseaudio and restarts it. At first it seemed to work but i realised it was no improvement

46 Posts

April 17th, 2016 20:00

Last night everything was working fine (other than the occasional reboot to restore sound). Today I opened the machine, saw the "what kind of device did you just plug in" prompt, and rebooted. Now I only have one item under Sound properties, "Dummy Output." Can't get sound back, no matter how many times I sleep/resume or reboot.

Alarmingly, the bios reads "None" for Audio Device. Not sure if this has always been so, but it leads me to think it's a hardware failure rather than a Ubuntu issue.

Can Barton or anyone else chime in with some tips? A machine with no sound is a machine that needs to be sent back.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

April 19th, 2016 10:00

Jefish,

You could be right about it being a motherboard problem. Let's open an official support case and figure it out. To proceed, please send me a friend request. Once I accept we can then private message each other and work it out.

April 20th, 2016 14:00

Hi, I've received my XPS 13 with Ubuntu today and make an Update:

Linux xps13 3.19.0-58-generic #64~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 18 19:05:43 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

and I've got the same issues after resuming like JEFISH described in his first post.

Any help in sight?

Best regards,

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

April 22nd, 2016 18:00

@Community,

Thank you for your posts and feedback.

Due to your multiple reports on this concern we're now planning to try and replicate the issue in house. Should know more late next week.

Jefish has mentioned to me that on every 4th or 5th time he reboots to fix the audio issue, it won't help. Sound Settings will list 'Dummy Output', at that point. Jefish checked the BIOS and saw that the audio device is listed as 'None' instead of 'Realtec'.

Can you all check to see if you can produce the same behavior on the BIOS level?

Is everyone on the XPS 13 9350 latest BIOS ? ( just confirming the basics since Jefish saw behavior on the BIOS level )

46 Posts

April 22nd, 2016 22:00

As Justin said, when you find that your sound has been knocked out, warm boot into your BIOS and scroll to the bottom of the system summary. My audio device will always be set to None when the issue happens.

I have found that the problem does not repro after a cold boot. Resuming will knock out my sound, and a warm boot will generally only make things more confusing. But a full shutdown will bring things back to normal.

I'm sure Dell will make things right, but in the meantime I've been shutting down the machine completely after use. It's not ideal, but it seems to be an effective workaround for the time being.

April 23rd, 2016 10:00

Hello,

i'd updated the BIOS to the latest version (1.3.3) and the issue occurs also after the update.

In the BIOS I also saw always the sound device available.

Best regards

10 Posts

May 6th, 2016 12:00

Hi,

I'm seeing the same error (BIOS 1.3.3, no sound, Dummy Output in sound settings) - never occurred before Ubuntu update to kernel 3.19.0-58-generic and plugging headphones in. Appeared after sleep, with same prompt for device selection, list of HDMI outputs and headphones selected as described earlier in this thread. Repeated (>7) restarts did nothing, audio device was present in BIOS but aplay -l reported no soundcard present.

Rebooting into Dell diagnostics showed that soundcard/speakers were functioning correctly and then after booting into linux the soundcard was found again I'm not sure if this was coincidence, a "fix" or something to do with reports that two cold reboots are required to push soundcard changes through. (Log in screen initially showed red speaker with cross next to it, but this is fixed after login). Aplay -l now lists ALC3246 Analog plus three HDMI devices as shown by someone else in: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=211546  - and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_XPS_15#Sound but no HDMI outputs (or headphones) show up in Sound Settings. 

Archwiki seems to think the issues aren't hardware-related though, which is a bit of a relief.

2 Posts

May 17th, 2016 12:00

Hi,

Same issue here - no sound after sleep+prompt to select device, 'Dummy Output' on sound settings, no controller in BIOS(v 1.3.3). Sound works again only after shutdown.

This is a bug that's hard to live with, hopefully DELL will find a solution soon..

46 Posts

May 19th, 2016 11:00

After some troubleshooting between two XPS13s, one fresh from the factory, I (think) I've found the cause.

On a fresh machine, the issue does not repro. This machine was using kernel 3.19.0-33. After doing the first major Ubuntu update (500MB), the machine is running 3.19.0-59 and the issue repros. Rolling back to -58 does not fix it, but rolling back to -33, it does not SEEM to repro anymore.

The problem is that, with -33 installed, resuming has another issue. Once the lid is opened and the login screen appears, there's about a 25% chance that the screen will immediately go black again. This issue has been widely discussed, there may be a workaround/fix for it.

So if someone wants to dig a little deeper, a short-term solution might be to roll back to 3.19.0-33 and find a patch/fix for the blackening screen problem.

Me? I think I'll stick with -59 and keep shutting down after use, avoiding suspend, until Dell comes up with something more permanent.

And a HUGE thanks to Justin for his insight and assistance. Great support!

1 Message

May 20th, 2016 19:00

thanks for following up. rather annoying little issue.... 

10 Posts

May 23rd, 2016 14:00

I had the same issue after the upgrade to the latest patch from Dell (Addressing the awake from sleep ).

When I went to the BIOS in the system settings I saw no Audio controller (none).

Resetting the BIOS (even I never changed it) brought back the Soundcard and I now have sound in Ubuntu. Player, Skype all works.

Unfortunately the laptop speaker have some static noise all the time. Mute doesn't turn it off. 

Does anyone have the issue with static on built-in the speakers after re-setting the BIOS? I didn't have the static when I received the laptop.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 31st, 2016 07:00

Same issue here. I just received XPS 13 9350 DE, i7 16Go. Applied the ubuntu updates ater install

(so I'm running kernel ...-59)

when resuming from suspend, ubuntu asks for new audio device, but whatever you choose, sound does not work. It works after reboot.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

June 2nd, 2016 14:00

@Community,

I can confirm for you Dell has replicated the issue in house. We even replicated the symptom of the audio device going missing from the BIOS. Very big thank you to Jefish for helping Dell get to this point.

The issue is now making it's way through Dell internal processes but I can't promise anything just yet. I'll be back in touch as soon as I have anything new for you.

I'm looking forward to seeing any further discussion or feedback on this topic.

No Events found!