Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

March 14th, 2016 00:00

Swap Ctrl and Fn keys on Dell XPS

Coming from another laptop brand which places Fn key instead of Ctrl in the bottom left corner of the keyboard, I find it very inconvenient that keyboards on Dell laptops have it the opposite way and that I have to adjust my typing habits to it.

Is there any way to make XPS laptop (my model is XPS 13 9350) to swap the function of its Ctrl and Fn keys?

My OS sees the keyboard as a standard PS/2 keyboard, so I suppose it has to be done through BIOS or a special driver.

April 13th, 2016 03:00

I've various keyboards where it is the other way around. For people who often need the Ctrl key, its not very ergonomic to spread the fingers for that additional key.

+1

1 Message

April 18th, 2016 12:00

I'm trying to convert myself from a MacBook to a Dell XPS 13, but the reversed Fn and Ctl keys are really standing in the way of it.  As a programmer and Emacs user, I'm totally dependent on my muscle memory for the Alt and Control keys.  Please, Dell, give us a way to swap Ctl and Fn in the BIOS so that we can use your otherwise great machines.

Thanks!

1 Message

November 18th, 2016 00:00

I also need this function. Ctrl is just too far if not swapped.

2 Posts

November 18th, 2016 13:00

Yes, I went back to Lenovo and I'm not buying another Dell ever again until this is fixed!

November 21st, 2016 13:00

i also would like  a way to swap the ctrl and Fn keys.

7 Posts

March 25th, 2017 08:00

Nothing? I have the same problem with a Dell Precision 5520 ( coming from 10+ yr MacBook Pro & 30+ yr Emacs). I really want this swap. I found nothing in the BIOS. Apparently, other manufacturers (Lenovo?) provide a swap capability in their BIOS.

3 Posts

February 14th, 2018 01:00

Bump! Looks like this is a very common problem. It probably can't be done, if so, it would be nice if someone from Dell would step and fess up and admit that they got it wrong.

It's particularly annoying if you want to do a Ctrl-Shift combination, which on sensible keyboards is a middle and ring finger combination, where they line up sensibly. On the Dell laptop, it is really awkward with the keys being above each other. If the Dell were the only keyboard I had ever used, I would probably get used to it, but it isn't and it is hard to unlearn several decades of use, and remember to swap between this aberrant behaviour and normal whenever I use a different PC, which I do for work.

May 25th, 2018 01:00

> it would be nice if someone from Dell would step and fess up and admit that they got it wrong.

why is this wrong? Ctrl lined up with Shift, and Alt next to the spacebar is the standard since the 100% compatible IBM PC: 

http://www.keyboardco.com/product-images/ibm_model_m_beige_ps2_large.jpg

2 Posts

July 17th, 2018 14:00

I just got a new XPS 13 to use as a Linux development machine, after working on Apple Macs for many years.

The CTRL key placement is odd to me. And it is really uncomfortable for SHIFT + CTRL combinations (e.g. for copy & paste in the terminal).

Offering the possibility to swap FN and CTRL in the BIOS looks like an easy fix to this issue (though I don't know if the keyboard wiring does not allow FN to be used as flexible as CTRL).

It would be great to at least get an official statement of Dell.

1 Message

August 5th, 2018 02:00

Thumb up :Yes:

This feature will be realy usefull.

4 Posts

August 11th, 2018 14:00

Last year bought a pretty expensive XPS 15 for DEV work, loved everything except for the ctrl and fn placement, checked out this post, found out there was no solution. After more than a year, still find it extremely difficult when switching from a Macbook.

Enough is enough, recently bought a Thinkpad T580, XPS almost beats it in all aspects except the MOST important part: ctrl, fn placement and key travel. If you are a programmer those 2 factors can be deal breaking, with some small tweaks in xmodmap, Thinkpad in Ubuntu can give you a seamless experience if you frequently use Mac and heavily rely on key bindings (Emacs, Sublime Text, IntelliJ) for your work.

What really pisses me off is that we spent so much money (close to $ 2K), we voiced our concern in an official public channel i.e. this forum yet Dell don't really give a s**t about it. Adding ctrl and fn swap in BIOS isn't that hard to do, we would gladly become loyal Dell user forever if they do so. After a year, they still didn't do nothing.

Dell, think about it, we are high paid tech workers that can choose to use your machine 12+ hours per day for 30+ years, we can recommend your machine to co-worker, manager, or whole organization that has an army of people. It's sad that you don't care about this user group, you don't want our money.

For people who come to this post for the same issue, forget about it, there are people purchased expensive machine and give Dell time to fix it, they didn't. Just return your machine if it's still in the 14 days period or buy a Thinkpad if you got bored with Macbook. 

1 Message

February 24th, 2024 19:21

very frustrated. how can there be no solution to this problem.

No Events found!