Highlighted
2 Iron

RE: TB15 Dock Linux Support

OK, so how about fixing the TB3 port, dock support aside.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

My apologies Jared, if I underestimated the engineering efforts involved. But I was reacting to Justin's blunt email in particular. He seems to claim that we as linux users aren't entitled to any form of support since we chose to purchase a Windows only product. This is factually false. When we bought the dock, linux was explicitly mentioned as supported. The only reason, I have been patient so long is because you and the other engineers in this forum gave us the impression that Dell was actively working on this issue.

Justin's now claims that there are no guarantees that this is ever going to work and that he's not willing to further discuss this. I don't think this is an appropriate response given the history. Dell should take the accountability of this debacle and come with a concrete proposal for us linux users. This should either entail a clear commitment to get the tb15 to work in an easy well documented matter (without using a Windows machine) or a generous recall program.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @yeehaa,

I apologize if the tone of Justin’s response came off as gruff.  The team reviewed it before he posted it and that wasn’t our intention.

As Jared as mentioned previously, we are actively working on this and save from some ginormous screw up, we will deliver Linux support 🙂 

We appreciate your patience and support!

Barton

Barton George

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

So I've had some good luck the last two days. The only update I did was the 1.4.4 BIOS update -- no firmware anything that I would need Windows for (don't have it!).

Currently running openSUSE Tumbleweed, Kernel 4.7.2 (latest provided in repos w/ normal updating). I have working Ethernet, USB, and running two 1080p monitors (one mini-DP, the other USB 3.1c > DP cable, but have used DP > DP cables and it worked too).

When I plug in my 4K monitor, it freezes everything until I unplug it with the following errors over and over:

[drm: intel_ddi_prepare_liink_retrain [i915]] *ERROR* Tiemout waiting for DDI BUF B idle bit

Failed to train DP, aborting

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

What is Dells policy on returning these docking stations?

I purchased a fully loaded 7710, 2 - TB15 docking stations (work and home) and 4 - 27 inch 4k monitors. These were purchased in mid April, so I am outside the normal 30 day return.

I have been patiently waiting for Dell through this forum to deliver a solution. At this point it is clear that a solution will not be available in the near term.

I need to know how to return $617.38 worth of paper weight.

Thanks

Highlighted
Not applicable

I am in a similar situation, the behavior between Windows and Ubuntu are the same. Really all I want is the 2 monitors to stay on but can only seem to be able to run 1 with any kind of stability.

fwiw XPS 13 2 x 27' 4K monitors, tried different ports (currently running of the most stable HDMI and least stable dv)

They both turn on and work but can only get 15 minutes of the dv on before it goes black even though the pc seems to think it's still there so i can only assume the doc is just stopping to send a signal to the second monitor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I've had the TB15 with a UP2715K and a Precision 5510. On Windows (with all BIOS, firmware, and driver updates) things "generally" work, apart from the fact that the 5K monitor only goes up to 4K, even on the 5K3K connection. 

On Linux, it's a whole different story, even with kernel 4.8.1. Sometimes the screen works in 4K - very rarely. Other times, stuff just hangs, or there's a kernel panics... Is there any ETA when the dock will get fixed?

Highlighted
Not applicable

with kernel 4.8.1 on linux (archlinux testing branch)  the tb15 dock works fairly well (even with 4.7.x).
de-activating WIFI helps.

issues that remain:
- it takes a rather long time until linux initializes everything (10+ seconds) so you need patiences. definitly not a OS X type of experience
- when using a 4k screen it much depends on the cable and the mini display port seems to be no good. using the HDMI or better the DP port works much better
- network adapter stops working after some time (i solved it by using an attached usb adapter)

if someone finds a way to re-activate the network drive please let us know. (i haven't tried re-loading the module yet).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I'm being given the option of a refund. I'll likely take it, and buy a D3100 which has official Linux support, and 4K compatibility. It doesn't charge the laptop, so will need to run two cables, but the recent DisplayLink drivers have been working well, so it should work. I'll use that until the thunderbolt revolution actually happens (maybe next year). As of now, I can't justify the £300+ price point of the TB15. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

This weekend, I upgraded my Precision 5510 to Ubuntu 16.10. The included kernel version is 4.8.0-26. I haven't yet been able to flash any firmware upgrades to the TB15, because AFAIK there is no mechanism for this without installing Windows on the 5510.

In any case, the dock is mostly functional, at least for my needs. It drives a sub-4k wide screen monitor through HDMI, enables USB mouse and keyboard, as well as connecting a USB external drive. While everything seems a tad bit more stable under 4.8, the one issue that didn't resolve is the inability to cold boot with dock attached. When I connect USB-c umbilical and start the machine, the USB mouse and keyboard are not recognized (HDMI screen does start up though). The only way I can get the dock to operate USB mouse and keyboard is to boot the machine, wait until after I enter the LUKS pass phrase, and then attach the umbilical. Then there is a slight 10 sec delay, and the USB mouse and keyboard come alive.

Is there anything else I need to do in order to make everything work under a cold boot? If the dock firmware needs to be flashed, how can that be applied without installing Windows on the 5510? I tried doing it from my Windows VM, but the dock itself is not recognized, and I don't feel comfortable flashing the dock from a VM anyhow. Have others been able to address the cold boot issues?

SIDE NOTE:

What's with the Google reCAPTCHA on the forum? I have to re-enter it literally every 30 seconds. Seems it's configured a bit too aggressively.

EDIT:

I just tried a test to ensure I had the appropriate modules enabled for my initramfs so that early USB HID devices would work during cryptsetup. Indeed, removing my USB keyboard from the dock and plugging it directly into the laptop worked fine, so that does seem related to the dock's cold boot issues.

-sk3l

0 Kudos