franfabrizio
1 Nickel

Re: TB16 Dock Linux Support

I can now confirm that my Apple thunderbolt display works with the XPS 9370 through the TB16 dock with the Startech thunderbolt-3-to-thunderbolt adapter.

0 Kudos
federicoprato
1 Copper

i'm running Ubuntu 18.04 on an XPS 15, unfortunately i have no luck with the display port. xrandr outputs stuff about it:

DP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

but i can't see the second monitor under settings/displays. any pointers?

thanks

0 Kudos
mike65535
1 Nickel

As of about two days ago, the audio out through the headphone jack on the TB16 dock has stopped working.  The other peripherals (USB, Ethernet, monitors) work OK.  Running Fedora 28

Tags (2)
0 Kudos

Current environment:
Dell XPS 15 9560 (Early 2017, delivered Feb 2017), 4k display, with Ubuntu 16.04.5, 2 separate TB16 docks - a Dell UP3216Q monitor connected to one and an AMH A409U 40" 4K monitor connected to the other via miniDP to DP cables. I also get 6+ hours of battery life running Ubuntu doing normal workflow.

2 mods done day of delivery immediately after running full Dell diagnostics on initial boot to make sure it found no issues:

(1) I swapped the Toshiba 1TB nvme SSD (OEM Win10) with a Samsung 960 Pro 1TB nvme SSD (Ubuntu 16.04, fresh install) - I only swap back to the Toshiba when I want to update firmware and drivers using the OEM Win10 install, which I have done once in 18 months.

(2) I replaced the OEM Killer wifi card with an Intel 8265.

I turned on TB dock options and set security level to no security in BIOS. Set power setting in Ubuntu to do nothing when lid is closed. Initially the TB16 was nothing more than a USB-C charger for the XPS-15 - I couldn't get any peripheral ports to a usable state. May have been linux driver support, linux kernel support, Dell firmware, or a combination of all three.

On 2018.08.20, I upgraded all Dell firmware and drivers current at the time - BIOS 1.11.1, TB16 f/w, and more that I can't recall - this did fix all of of problems with the TB16. It was also on this day that I received my second TB16 and the Dell UP3216Q.

This works pretty flawlessly now - my only minor issues (I hot-plug the TB16s and rarely reboot the XPS 15) are:

I cannot control the brightness of the external monitors from the laptop brightness function keys, the laptop display changes brightness but the external monitor connected via a miniDP cable from the TB16 does not.

Whenever I close the lid on the XPS-15, the external monitors think I unplugged them from the TB16 and go black (to sleep). I have not checked the other peripheral devices when I close the XPS-15 lid.

The TB16 DVI port does not appear to work with an older monitor, either using a DVI-D to DVI-D or a DVI-I to VGA cable.

My next issues, if I upgrade Ubuntu, are with Unity being deprecated in favor of Gnome 3 and fractional scaling of the display settings going away and only allowing 100% or 200%. My laptop 4K is perfectly usable at 150%, the UP3216Q is fine at 125%, and the AMH is fine at 100% scaling.

warnellg
1 Copper

I'm having the exact same issue as mike65535, i.e., audio through the dock headphone jack on the TB16 has stopped working but everything else is fine.

Anyone found a way to fix this?

0 Kudos
mike65535
1 Nickel

I just finished the upgrade to F29 - and it still doesn't recognize my plugging headphones into the TB16.

Note the dock works fine in Windows 10.  (I'm dual boot)
Also note that my original installation and several subsequent (earlier) versions of F28 did work properly with this same hardware.  Later versions of F28 did not.

Bronkoo's advice 
https://www.dell.com/community/Linux-Developer-Systems/TB16-Dock-Linux-Support/m-p/5109165/highlight...
has been taken 😉

IMO, it's not that the audio is muted or some such.  The physical plugging in of the headphones is not being picked up through the TB16.  The app pavucontrol and Fedora's  Settings -> Sound show no activity on the headphone jack of the TB16 when inserting or removing the plug.  They (pavu and sound)  respond appropriately, however, to activity on the native headphone socket on the 5530.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jahnreektor
1 Copper

For what it's worth, I couldn't get the dock (TB16) to work with my XPS 13 when I was running Ubuntu 18.04. However, it all works great with Ubuntu 19.04 right out of the box -- no configuration.
0 Kudos