Verdellt
1 Nickel

RE: TB16 Dock Linux Support

Positive status report on the TB16:

I'm using a Dell XPS 13 9350,

Current Debian testing (Buster)

Most recent Vanilla Linux kernel 4.14.2

Most recent news for me: Cold boot works now, the setup is now quite stable!

Summary of working things:

o Cold boot (also with notebook lid closed)

o Network

o USB sound (rear jack not tested turned work before)

o USB network

o Suspend to RAM:

All USB devices (so quite everything but the external screen get lost after wakeup!

After replugging the dock, everything would be fine again, but I found

a workaround somewhere in the WWW to "replug in software" without messing the external screens:

echo "1" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:01\:00.0/remove

sleep 2

echo "1" > /sys/bus/pci/rescan

You have to be root, to make the commands working. The sleep command in between probably

is not needed. I put the lines to a script file and invoke it via a keyboard shortcut.

0 Kudos
markfink
1 Copper

I bought a brand new XPS 13 9360 and I am so far ok with it. I also want to connect my two monitors like I did with my 3 year old zen-book. I got a TB16 for that. I can connect the monitors ok-ish (resolution on the RGB is not good). Problem is all USB devices connected to the TB16 are dead (no keyboard, mouse, LAN...). I updated to the newest BIOS 2.3.1 since I was reading many threads and a newer Bios seemed to work for all. but no me! I tried to contact dell support but the site forwards my to a Japanese site and my kanji is a little rusty Smiley Happy  I am currently out of options so I would appreciate input.

0 Kudos
Bronkoo
1 Nickel

Certainly, unbelievable, but you have to configure the Bios ->Settings ->System Configuration ->Thunderbolt Adapter Configuration to "Security level - No Security" for best user experiences ... ;-)

0 Kudos
aappddeevv
2 Iron

That's interesting about the external screen, only 1 of my screens (the older one) does not turn on correctly after sleep or screen lock mode. It actually flashes on, I see the content, then it goes dark. I am pretty sure it think that there is no input signal on the dvi port and so some restarts of the monitor usually helps it find the dock video signal. I'll try the full thunderbolt (01) soft reset to see if that helps.

0 Kudos
cmcinroy
1 Copper

I received a TB16 a few days ago.  For some reason I was surprised/disappointed that the USB ports AND ethernet AND BOTH audio outputs failed to work.

Model: XPS 15 9560
Kernel: 4.10.0-42-generic
Shell: bash 4.4.7
Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1080, 2560x1440
DE: Unity:Unity7
WM: Compiz
WM Theme: Ambiance
Theme: Ambiance [GTK2/3]
Icons: Ubuntu-mono-dark [GTK2/3]
Terminal: gnome_connectio
CPU: Intel i7-7700HQ (8) @ 3.8GHz
GPU: Intel Integrated Graphics
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile
Memory: 8182MiB / 15896MiB

The laptop shipped with Win10, but I made it dual boot.  Under Windows, I updated the BIOS to 1.6.2 and ran all of the other Dell updates (including Thunderbolt).  Still no luck getting those items to work under Ubuntu.

So, ultimately, the TB16 -- under Ubuntu (in my experience) -- is a pricey external display adapter.

0 Kudos
cmcinroy
1 Copper

Certainly, unbelievable, but you have to configure the Bios ->Settings ->System Configuration ->Thunderbolt Adapter Configuration to "Security level - No Security" for best user experiences ... ;-)

So... I thought I had tried everything.  Turns out, this was the trick.

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
MaxHaase
1 Copper

Re: TB16 Dock Linux Support

It works fine in Fedora Linux Workstation 27, out of the box, 10-minute installation succeeds on an empty computer. 

Once you remove all the Microsoft garbage from your computer, use F12 to enter BIOS, and somewhere in the BIOS check the boxes to allow all docking stations. 

The computer came with windows 10, it took over an hour to install it and a whole lot of stuff didn't work. 

Linux just works :-)

0 Kudos
Mickelino
1 Copper

Just wanted to report that it works great with elementaryOS 0.4 ("Loki") on the Precision 5510. Ordered it, plugged the laptop using the thunderbolt cable, my 4K ASUS PB27U monitor, and my USB wireless keyboard + mouse after disabling thunderbolt security in BIOS. Everything just worked out of the box, very happy so far Smiley Happy

BrianButters
1 Copper

Dell 5520 with Ubuntu 16.04. Updated bios to latest from April 2018, and still cannot get monitors to work. When viewing dmesg, I can see that all the data ports work, and get all the other external devices. Just my monitors.

I have dual Apple Cinema Displays. When daisy chained and directly plugged into the USB-C plug with the apple thunderbolt-2-to-3 adapter, they are picked up immediately and work. However, when plugged into the dock's usb-c plug, I get nothing.

I've tried directly plugging a single monitor in via the display port in the TB16, and still nothing.

What am I missing in getting this working?

0 Kudos
franfabrizio
1 Nickel

I've read elsewhere that the Apple thunderbolt 2-to-3 adapter does not work with the TB16. Those people reported success with the Startech adapter. Might want to give that a try. I ordered one on that recommendation, but I'm still awaiting arrival of my laptop so I cannot test it for you. Good luck!

0 Kudos