Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2015 12:00

That new XPS 15...

So, I saw some of the photos of the new XPS 15 on the verge website today.... 

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/3/8717975/dell-xps-15-infinity-display-computex-2015

I know that the Project Sputnik team is probably being kept pretty busy just by supporting the current XPS 13 DE and m3800 DE however, if I may request... could we please get a developer edition of this upcoming XPS 15.  That laptop looks absolutely fantastic!!!

Many Thanks!

1 Message

June 5th, 2015 04:00

Really really hoping that this XPS has a lower resolution touch screen display (1440 or lower for improved battery life over the QHD display) and a discrete graphics solution (Nvidia preferred).

If it has those options it will definitely be my next laptop replacement!!

10 Posts

June 8th, 2015 22:00

Agreed. Here's a short video.

www.youtube.com/watch

10 Posts

June 9th, 2015 11:00

Excellent insight leimon!

2 Posts

June 9th, 2015 11:00

Based on what I saw in the video, that USB-C connector appears to be one of those new Thunderbolt 3 ports... which would indicate that the XPS 15 will likely be sporting one of the new Skylake processors (since thunderbolt 3 is supposed to debut with that microarchitecture).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)#Thunderbolt_3

Following this information, we can see that the Skylake architecture mobile chips that this class of notebook would use wont be available until Sept 2015.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylake_(microarchitecture)

Which means that at the earliest, this particular laptop shouldn't actually come out until September or October.

2 Posts

June 15th, 2015 15:00

I have the previous XPS 13 edition and would love to buy the new XPS 15 to support the community. The m3800 still looks great, but I do prefer the looks and keyboard of the new XPS 15. It would be great if someone from Dell would discuss possible plans to release an official Ubuntu Edition. I'm willing to spend $2500+ on a laptop, but only if the purchase adds to the total Ubuntu units sold. I want to make sure that Dell knows that the only reason I'm buying the laptop is because of the Ubuntu support. I don't want to just buy an XPS 15 with Windows and wipe it.

10 Posts

June 16th, 2015 14:00

This made me curious, and it does appear to be a bit off center in the video/pictures posted so far. I was able to find a picture from the direct front on this page.    

www.techspot.com/.../60896-dell-revised-xps-15-includes-gorgeous-infinity-display.html

It looks like it's pretty close to center and I measured the space on each side of the trackpad in gimp and they seem to be the same. Perhaps the space bar makes it appear a bit off center, but I just checked my macbook pro and the spacebar is slightly off to the left on it as well.

7 Posts

June 16th, 2015 14:00

It looks like the trackpad isn't centered, at least in some pictures. If someone could hand the designers a ruler and a dictate to center the trackpad, screen, and keyboard, that would go a long way to helping people purchase (and like) their laptops. Ref: Anything from Apple in the last few years.

2 Posts

June 16th, 2015 23:00

I think you're right, Mike. The trackpad is centered, but the keys on the keyboard are asymmetrical so it gives the illusion of being off.

No Events found!