Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2016 11:00

Ubuntu's shortcuts do not work properly dell xps 13 developer edition 9350

Hi,

For some reason, it seems that in the preinstalled ubuntu 14.04.4 the super key does not open the launcher as well as some other shortcuts are messed up (snapping windows, etc).

It does not seem to be a hardware issue since when I tried a live ubuntu 16.04, the shortcuts work as expected. 

Has it been any modifications in the default shortcuts in the prebundled ubuntu distro?

Is there any way to fix it? (I have tried without luck many options like unity tweak tools, compiz settings manager, etc) 

Anybody else running into this issue?

I own an XPS 13 developer edition (9350).

Note: I am using preinstalled ubuntu 14.04.4 and latest Bios (1.3.3)  

27 Posts

April 14th, 2016 14:00

You need to remove the package dell-super-key:

sudo apt-get remove dell-super-key

Once you do that and logoff and back on it will start working again.

18 Posts

April 14th, 2016 14:00

Thank you so much! That worked!

25 Posts

April 14th, 2016 15:00

OH! I will try that. Why would Dell even do that? I almost posted myself and I can't understand why Dell would screw up something that would work better without their driver.

Can someone elaborate what this package is for and if we can remove it without losing other functionality? (Given the name of the package it does not seem to do much)

46 Posts

April 14th, 2016 22:00

I removed dell-super-key and it made no difference. The Alt key will bring up "enter your command," which appears to be a Help search? The Windows key does nothing.

I did find in "Unity Tweak Tool, Unity, Additional" that "Show the Launcher" is set to Disabled. Is that relevant?

14 Posts

April 14th, 2016 23:00

I also just received my XPS 13 DE, and after initial boot it showed the standard Unity keyboard shortcut "cheat-sheet". However to much frustration the Super key did not work as described. There is apparently an old bug report about this, where Dell describes this as intended behaviour https://bugs.launchpad.net/dell-sputnik/+bug/1154430 . Could someone please explain, why Dell has this brilliant idea to mess with our keyboards and confuse both experienced and novice users??

46 Posts

April 15th, 2016 00:00

I'm curious what this package is even for. Also curious why removing it from my system didn't fix the problem. Of course, now I can't add the package back in ...

27 Posts

April 15th, 2016 05:00

I didn't have to do that on mine but it wouldn't hurt to try!

I removed dell-super-key and it made no difference. The Alt key will bring up "enter your command," which appears to be a Help search? The Windows key does nothing.

I did find in "Unity Tweak Tool, Unity, Additional" that "Show the Launcher" is set to Disabled. Is that relevant?

46 Posts

April 15th, 2016 13:00

Got mine to work.

1) apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

2) Ubuntu Unity Plugin section, Launcher tab, Key to show Dash

3) Click to open key picker, Enable, click Super, then OK

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

April 19th, 2016 08:00

Hi Tomvest,

I apologize but unfortunately this is out of our hands.  This wouldn't be our choice.

thanks

14 Posts

April 19th, 2016 10:00

Hi Barton,

Fair enough - although I do not understand, why it is out of your hands that Dell has disabled the super key. Are you obliged to make the "Windows key" not work in Ubuntu? ;-p

Now, it will not be long before the Sputnik project is so successful that we will need a "Ubuntu signature edition" to avoid dubious vendor customizations 8-)

(Written from my nice XPS 13 i7 16G DE running a clean Ubuntu 16.04 installation)

Thanks for the effort!

350 Posts

April 20th, 2016 17:00

Now, it will not be long before the Sputnik project is so successful that we will need a "Ubuntu signature edition" to avoid dubious vendor customizations 8-)

I certainly hope so!

May 23rd, 2016 01:00

I removed the dell-super-key and followed these steps:

1) apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

2) Ubuntu Unity Plugin section, Launcher tab, Key to show Dash

3) Click to open key picker, Enable, click Super, then OK

Still my key is not working.
Is Dell actively disabling the key for the Evil software Empire?

Is there a work around for the latest blockage of the key?

3 Posts

July 9th, 2018 23:00

Terrible.   Dell can't say way they disabled the most basic key in they system?  the bigger the corporation the dumber the people.  This is combination of in-competent people and the product manager telling some lemming nerd to add a package to steal your private data. Thats they the CANT TELL YOU.  Call your Lawyers and sue them for Privacy.   This is going to be huge social media explosion .  Please install ubuntu from scratch and erase the dell junk off the face of the planet.

3 Posts

Yes.  work around it to send the computer back and do Youtube vlog, or install fresh ubuntu and delete all Dell sw off the face of the planet ..  Im too busy to waste time with this.   Dell trying to get business from developers from the Apple MacBook Pro 13, but they too short sighted to figure out how to do it. Thats why they make small middle class salaries, work in small cube 8 hours a day and drive Audi A4 thinking it's a real car. 

3 Posts

Namely MS only licenses that logo for certain specific uses, which almost certainly wont cover whatever it is used for in Ubuntu.

Ultimately this means that dell would have to do something and Im guessing this is the compromise reached. They use software to disable the key, which you can remove, and in return they dont have to remove the logo from the keyboard.

So on a $2,000 lap top,  instead of adding a 10 cent logo to the keyboard.  they just disable it.     Most developers rate is $100/ hr.    So we add all the developers who wasted time ..   about 5 hours each and lost revenw and take no prisoners in the court of the people.  Get as many dell employees fired as possible..  Only way to get them fired is to SUE company.. then it will eventually get to Product Manager when legal department gets involved.  I done this before.  It's very satisfying .  I will find out who made this decision.  

No Events found!