Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

October 24th, 2014 21:00

Unreliable suspend / resume with A05 and A06 bios (UPDATED)

I've been chasing a suspend resume problem for a while. In general suspend / resume from and to memory works reasonably well. However I've found that after the system has been in an idle state for a while, screen off, system unused, and plugged in (but online), when closing the lid, and unplugging it, which initiates pm-suspend to memory.

That said, suspend to memory only seems to fail after long periods of idle, and of that, it seems some what random.

Debugging this, pm-suspend indicates that suspend to memory request takes place, however at that point (in which the BIOS should take over) the system hard locks and requires power cycling.

I've had this problem before on other dells and eventually, in all cases it required a BIOS fix. Would someone at Dell please investigate this?

13 Posts

November 14th, 2014 02:00

Same here.

My system freezes sometimes upon suspend (i.e. refuses to suspend, or to go back to a normal state), I have to power it off and reboot.

It is fairly random, but happens more with systemd than with pm-suspend, and I don't remember having seen it in "flight mode" (using the "F2/poweroff" key).

I'm using debian testing, with no power manager other than acpid and pm-tools.

36 Posts

November 14th, 2014 09:00

One thing to make sure of is that Intel RapidStart and QuickConnect technologies are disabled.

In my case, I notice this tends to happen more reliably if the power is connected, then removed, then the system put to sleep.

36 Posts

November 17th, 2014 09:00

So I've noticed that a reliable reproducer is to allow the system to idle for a while on AC power, then try and sleep, it doesn't seem to matter whether or not you unplug the AC.

13 Posts

November 20th, 2014 05:00

Hi,

I've been testing different settings for a couple of days, that appear to solve this issue:

- enabled rapidstart and smartconnect in the BIOS (the problem seemed somehow linked with the wifi board, hence smartconnect, and with suspend, hence rapidstart).

- added intel-rst and intel-smartconnect to /etc/modules.

My computer now seems to suspend well every time, and wakes up as expected.

Please confirm on your system.

36 Posts

November 22nd, 2014 20:00

Hi,

This doesn't appear to make much difference on my laptop. It still hangs randomly when handing over to the bios.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

13 Posts

November 23rd, 2014 00:00

Indeed, it just reduced the frequency of it in my case, but the bug was still there.

However, your "reliable reproducer" from an earlier post disappeared when I disabled the power saving features in the acpi script that handles lid close.

There are indications there: [View:xps13-9333.appspot.com/:550:0]

42 Posts

December 5th, 2014 08:00

Are you talking about the XPS13 9333? If so, where did you get the A05 revision? AFAIK A04 is the last one.

Anyway, does this problem happen only after the screen was turned off because of inactivity? If so, I'm wondering if the bug fixed by this commit has anything to do with it.
Basically it's just the screen that stays off.

To find out if that's the problem, you can do a simple test. Try to assign a keyboard shortcut so that the following command is executed:

echo 0 > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/bl_power

Note that root permissions are required. So either you make sure that when you press the keyboard shortcut the command is run as root or change the permissions of that file (to 666, just for testing purposes).

Try to trigger the bug (reduce the interval after which the screen is turned off and suspended) and see if you can turn the screen on with that shortcut once the laptop is resumed.

3 Posts

December 5th, 2014 08:00

im expieriencing the same problem with ubuntu 14.10. To me this is a serious bug

36 Posts

December 5th, 2014 09:00

The A05 bios is shipped with the revised motherboards which suffered from the coil whine issue. AFAIK it's still `beta' so the only way you end up with it is with a brand new machine, or a motherboard swap.

The issue is independent of X and can be triggered in init 3 state directly with pm-suspend.   It also seems to be some what random and only occurs after the system has been turned on, and plugged in, then unplugged and suspended.

42 Posts

Xps 13 9333 A05 Ubuntu 14.10.

I wonder why it can't be downloaded from the support page, there's only the A04 revision there.

I did disable screen blanking, and suspend after inactivity. only using it manually or when lid is closed

I'm sorry, but I didn't understand what you mean exactly. In any case, are you sure the laptop is not really working on resume? (can you ping it? Is the keyboard backlight changing level through the Fn keys? etc...)

3 Posts

Xps 13 9333 A05 Ubuntu 14.10.

I did disable screen blanking, and suspend after inactivity. only using it manually or when lid is closed

42 Posts

December 5th, 2014 10:00

Thanks for the clarifications. I didn't know this firmware existed.

I think I haven't experienced anything similar yet, so as you said it might be a bug of A05 (as you probably guess, I'm using A04).

42 Posts

December 12th, 2014 03:00

I'm sorry for this thread hijacking, but I have a couple of questions about this new BIOS.

Are the Fn keys that control the screen brightness still delayed? I decompiled the ACPI table and found that a delay of 200ms was intentionally added. This delay is somewhat problematic when you keep the Fn keys pressed, because it's as if the BIOS register how long you've been pressing the key, guesses the equivalent number of keypresses and then sends one keypress every 200ms. So, if you keep the key pressed and then release it, the BIOS will keep sending events for a while. I find this rather annoying.

Second question. I have noticed that enabling the SATA link power management causes weird keyboard lags and repeated keys. Is this still a thing?

Thanks.

13 Posts

December 17th, 2014 03:00

Hi,

I've managed to kill my "reliable reproducer", which was "plug an external monitor/keyboard/mouse, work a few hours on the computer, unplug everything and then pm-suspend".

After a few rounds of this (one to four times a day for a few months), I got data corruption on my hard drive during an update, which prevented reboot. I reinstalled the system partition in legacy mode, and suspend has been consistently working for the past few days.

Are you using UEFI or Legacy?

36 Posts

December 17th, 2014 07:00

Hi,

I've managed to kill my "reliable reproducer", which was "plug an external monitor/keyboard/mouse, work a few hours on the computer, unplug everything and then pm-suspend".

After a few rounds of this (one to four times a day for a few months), I got data corruption on my hard drive during an update, which prevented reboot. I reinstalled the system partition in legacy mode, and suspend has been consistently working for the past few days.

Are you using UEFI or Legacy?

I've not seen any issues with keyboard / mouse interaction (maybe it's the way your power handling is done?)

The only way I've been able to consistently and reliably reproduce this issue is to have the power plugged in / battery charging for more than a few minutes, then it freezes almost like clock work on suspend.

Without using external power, I can reliably suspend and resume until my battery dies without issues.

No Events found!