Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2015 02:00

Upcoming Skylake DE?

Dear Project Sputnik Team,

I own an XPS13 DE (L322X). I find it a very nice product, even with two major problems that I have not managed to resolve: problems connecting to some wi-fi networks (I have an Intel card), and the laptop shutting down when resuming from suspend if not connected to power (since upgrade to Ubuntu 15.04).

After struggling a bit with these (and no luck) I just decided to live with these problems. This is the laptop that I use for work and I cannot afford to mess too much with it. However, I am thinking of getting a new laptop, and I would go for another DE. Now that Dell has its new very nice "infinity edge" out, I am thinking to go for a 15''. My first choice would be a DE if available, and I have heard rumours that indeed something is in the pipeline.

Could you confirm that there will be a 15'' developer edition soon? Or should I just give up and buy the windows edition and struggle to get Linux to work with it?

Furthermore, is there any idea of whether this will be based on the precision 5000 or on the XPS15? While I would very much like good specs on the laptop (Core i7, 16GB RAM, M.2 SSD, plenty of battery life) I do not particularly care for some of the very expensive features that the Precision 5000 ships with (most notably, the Quadro card and the Xeon processor). So in a sense my dream laptop is "in between" the two models---possibly with everything working out of the box!

Can you tell us anything about what we will get?

350 Posts

November 13th, 2015 08:00

I own an XPS13 DE (L322X). I find it a very nice product, even with two major problems that I have not managed to resolve: problems connecting to some wi-fi networks (I have an Intel card), and the laptop shutting down when resuming from suspend if not connected to power (since upgrade to Ubuntu 15.04).

Have you reported those bugs in Launchpad? If you haven't, please do, even if you can't do much to test new packages.

Could you confirm that there will be a 15'' developer edition soon? Or should I just give up and buy the windows edition and struggle to get Linux to work with it?

The intention is to provide a follow-on Precision system. I would recommend waiting since hardware support in the upstream Linux kernel is still not complete.

14 Posts

November 13th, 2015 14:00

Thank you very much for your reply.

Have you reported those bugs in Launchpad? If you haven't, please do, even if you can't do much to test new packages.

I have not done it yet, but I will.

The intention is to provide a follow-on Precision system. I would recommend waiting since hardware support in the upstream Linux kernel is still not complete.

That is good news. Will all the Precision 15 (5000?) configurations be supported eventually, or just one particular build?

350 Posts

November 13th, 2015 17:00

That is good news. Will all the Precision 15 (5000?) configurations be supported eventually, or just one particular build

Unlike XPS and Inspiron, all Dell Precision systems are configure to order. The only restrictions should be those for compatibility and availability reasons.

No Events found!