tim197803
1 Copper

RE: Update on XPS 13/15 2016 Developer Edition availability

Reading through these points, could someone tell me if what I am gleaning is correct?

The 2016 XPS 13 Developer Edition will still come with 8 GB of memory (no option for 16 GB).  In addition, it will come preloaded with Ubuntu 14.04?

I am weighing the $100 coupon for the 2015 model vs. waiting for the 2016.

TIA

0 Kudos
philwinder
1 Copper

Indeed. If someone at dell could simply write a short list of all of the available configurations for the xps DE, like I have asked for twice, everything would be a lot simpler. Why have twenty separate people asked about configurations and dell staff haven't realised that all questions would be answered by a list? They've already said that the configurations are already decided. Just release them!

m4r71n
1 Copper

My understanding is there will be a 16GB model and like the existing windows options it will be the i7 with a glossy QHD screen. Not so sure about other options.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
tim197803
1 Copper

Thanks.  That does help.  I was looking at FHD, so it sounds like 2015 and 2016 will be similar in regards to RAM for me.

0 Kudos
DELL-Jared D
3 Argentium

The 2016 XPS 13 Developer Edition will still come with 8 GB of memory (no option for 16 GB).  In addition, it will come preloaded with Ubuntu 14.04?

I was saying earlier that FHD screen and 16GB RAM won't be available together. We plan to have 16GB options with QHD+ display, but since we are not shipping with Ubuntu yet, that isn't set in stone. The Developer Edition is with Ubuntu preinstalled.

In general, it's very difficult to answer questions about unreleased products (even if the Windows version is out!). I understand feeling impatient about this as a customer, but if you have ever worked on releasing a product, you would see that nothing is ever fully settled until it's shipping (and sometimes even then).

--
Project Sputnik development lead
Software Principal Engineer
Linux OS Architecture
Dell | Client Product Group

jsiebens
1 Copper

Hi Jared,

Regarding the new Precision 15.

I see it is online orderable with Ubuntu for the US, but in Europe (Belgium) I don't see the option to select Ubuntu.

Will this be available online soon?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DELL-Jared D
3 Argentium

Regarding the new Precision 15.

I see it is online orderable with Ubuntu for the US, but in Europe (Belgium) I don't see the option to select Ubuntu.

Will this be available online soon?

I think they're in the process of rolling out Ubuntu worldwide on these systems (Precision is available in something like 150 countries), and the official date for rollout completion isn't until next week. If it's not there for those systems at the end of next week, I can check on it.

--
Linux OS Architecture

0 Kudos

Hi Jared,

Why can't we select PCIe Solid State Drives when we choose Ubuntu as the OS on the Precision 5510?

If we want the bigger battery (6 cell), this force us to buy a $420 drive, whereas the PCIe SSDs have an option for $220 that I think is better, but it disappears if we choose Ubuntu!

Is this an error on the configuration page or a compatibility issue?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
DELL-Jared D
3 Argentium

Why can't we select PCIe Solid State Drives when we choose Ubuntu as the OS on the Precision 5510?

If we want the bigger battery (6 cell), this force us to buy a $420 drive, whereas the PCIe SSDs have an option for $220 that I think is better, but it disappears if we choose Ubuntu!

Is this an error on the configuration page or a compatibility issue?

I saw your post *right after* asking internally about that. I'll try to remember to update here when I have an answer on why this is happening. The only technical reason I could see is because the 3510/7510/7710 configurators let you choose whether to turn on/off Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST), whereas the 5510 configurator doesn't, but I'm not sure if that means that IRST is on or off by default on the 5510. If it's off by default for the 5510, we can just lift the restriction. If it's on by default, it may take a bit to fix this restriction. (Intel doesn't support IRST on Linux, but if you want performance, you want IRST off.)

--
Linux OS Architecture

0 Kudos

Thank you for the reply!

I'll be checking for the answer. Thats the only thing keeping me from buying it at the moment. Thanks for all the effort!

0 Kudos