Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 1st, 2016 01:00

Update on XPS 13/15 2016 Developer Edition availability

Any news on the availability for any of the new XPS machines in a Developer Edition?

And do you know exactly what specifications will be used? I.e. 13? 15? Ram/screen/etc.?

Thanks, Phil.

3 Posts

February 6th, 2016 12:00

Indeed. If someone at dell could simply write a short list of all of the available configurations for the xps DE, like I have asked for twice, everything would be a lot simpler. Why have twenty separate people asked about configurations and dell staff haven't realised that all questions would be answered by a list? They've already said that the configurations are already decided. Just release them!

5 Posts

February 6th, 2016 13:00

My understanding is there will be a 16GB model and like the existing windows options it will be the i7 with a glossy QHD screen. Not so sure about other options.

Hope that helps.

2 Posts

February 6th, 2016 13:00

Thanks.  That does help.  I was looking at FHD, so it sounds like 2015 and 2016 will be similar in regards to RAM for me.

350 Posts

February 6th, 2016 14:00

The 2016 XPS 13 Developer Edition will still come with 8 GB of memory (no option for 16 GB).  In addition, it will come preloaded with Ubuntu 14.04?

I was saying earlier that FHD screen and 16GB RAM won't be available together. We plan to have 16GB options with QHD+ display, but since we are not shipping with Ubuntu yet, that isn't set in stone. The Developer Edition is with Ubuntu preinstalled.

In general, it's very difficult to answer questions about unreleased products (even if the Windows version is out!). I understand feeling impatient about this as a customer, but if you have ever worked on releasing a product, you would see that nothing is ever fully settled until it's shipping (and sometimes even then).

2 Posts

February 8th, 2016 06:00

Hi Jared,

Regarding the new Precision 15.

I see it is online orderable with Ubuntu for the US, but in Europe (Belgium) I don't see the option to select Ubuntu.

Will this be available online soon?

350 Posts

February 8th, 2016 09:00

Regarding the new Precision 15.

I see it is online orderable with Ubuntu for the US, but in Europe (Belgium) I don't see the option to select Ubuntu.

Will this be available online soon?

I think they're in the process of rolling out Ubuntu worldwide on these systems (Precision is available in something like 150 countries), and the official date for rollout completion isn't until next week. If it's not there for those systems at the end of next week, I can check on it.

February 8th, 2016 12:00

Hi Jared,

Why can't we select PCIe Solid State Drives when we choose Ubuntu as the OS on the Precision 5510?

If we want the bigger battery (6 cell), this force us to buy a $420 drive, whereas the PCIe SSDs have an option for $220 that I think is better, but it disappears if we choose Ubuntu!

Is this an error on the configuration page or a compatibility issue?

Thanks!

350 Posts

February 9th, 2016 08:00

Why can't we select PCIe Solid State Drives when we choose Ubuntu as the OS on the Precision 5510?

If we want the bigger battery (6 cell), this force us to buy a $420 drive, whereas the PCIe SSDs have an option for $220 that I think is better, but it disappears if we choose Ubuntu!

Is this an error on the configuration page or a compatibility issue?

I saw your post *right after* asking internally about that. I'll try to remember to update here when I have an answer on why this is happening. The only technical reason I could see is because the 3510/7510/7710 configurators let you choose whether to turn on/off Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST), whereas the 5510 configurator doesn't, but I'm not sure if that means that IRST is on or off by default on the 5510. If it's off by default for the 5510, we can just lift the restriction. If it's on by default, it may take a bit to fix this restriction. (Intel doesn't support IRST on Linux, but if you want performance, you want IRST off.)

February 9th, 2016 10:00

Thank you for the reply!

I'll be checking for the answer. Thats the only thing keeping me from buying it at the moment. Thanks for all the effort!

350 Posts

February 9th, 2016 12:00

I'll be checking for the answer. Thats the only thing keeping me from buying it at the moment. Thanks for all the effort!

I'm told that the restriction should be lifted by tomorrow. Please let me know if that's not the case.

I'm still waiting for confirmation on availability in other countries for all our Precision mobile workstations.

6 Posts

February 11th, 2016 00:00

Hi Jared,

Thanks for all the updates and for helping bringing a proper OS on these great laptops :)

Do you have any updates on the availability of the precision 5510 with Linux in Europe (specifically in France in my case) ? It seems the Ubuntu OS choice is still not available.

Regards,

Romain

February 11th, 2016 05:00

If you build it I will come.

I have a very nice Latitude E6430 with Linux(Ubuntu 12.04 when I bought it and now running Fedora 23).

Do I need a new one...not really. It has 8GB RAM and a i7 quad-core CPU.

But if the XPS DE 2016 is released in the Netherlands I will not be able to stop myself from buying it.

25 Posts

February 11th, 2016 07:00

Hi! I know this probably gets annoying but is there any new Information on the release of XPS 13 Ubuntu? I read that some expect it to be shipping around April. Could you just vaguely estimate if it's between weeks or months?

I really appreciate your work with Linux Laptops and would be glad to support the Sputnik project. Thanks for any new Information in this Forum and have a nice day!

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

February 11th, 2016 12:00

Hi Romain,

Jared is actively working this.  We are getting pretty dang close.  Stay tuned and thanks for the support!!!

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

February 11th, 2016 12:00

We're talking weeks not months (fingers crossed ;-)  BTW it will be XPS 13 and the Precision line (vs XPS15)

thanks for the support!

No Events found!