Elax75
1 Copper

RE: Update on XPS 13/15 2016 Developer Edition availability

Hi Jared, I have been following this thread very closely, since i'm also eager to get a precision 5510 with Ubuntu... After inquiring to a Dell reseller in France, I was replied that only a Freedos version would be available on the dell website (from tonight onwards they also said, but I just checked and still only windows is there). Do you confirm ? That would be so unfortunate ! I was so happy and now I'm very disappointed, if it is confirmed... I know the sputnik team is doing an incredible job nonetheless :-).

Best,

Axel

0 Kudos
dthiery
2 Bronze

This may be a stupid question but is the Precision 5510 with Ubuntu that you can order now the developer's edition or will there be a different version for that?

0 Kudos
michalt
1 Copper

Awesome! Can't wait for XPS 13 DE! 🙂 Please let us know once you have any updates!

0 Kudos
DELL-Jared D
3 Argentium

Hi Jared, I have been following this thread very closely, since i'm also eager to get a precision 5510 with Ubuntu... After inquiring to a Dell reseller in France, I was replied that only a Freedos version would be available on the dell website (from tonight onwards they also said, but I just checked and still only windows is there). Do you confirm ? That would be so unfortunate ! I was so happy and now I'm very disappointed, if it is confirmed... I know the sputnik team is doing an incredible job nonetheless :-).

Hi Axel,

We don't do FreeDOS these days. The reseller may be confused. Ubuntu 14.04 is available on the Precision 5510 and should be available for online order in your country through Dell.com soon.

--
Project Sputnik development lead
Software Principal Engineer
Linux OS Architecture
Dell | Client Product Group

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Elax75
1 Copper

Thanks a lot Jared, very comforting to hear that !

Cheers, Axel

0 Kudos
aarrowsmith
1 Copper

A question about Precision 5510 pricing between the US and Canada:

When shipping to the US, a Precision 5510 with Ubuntu i7, 16gb, 512gb SSD comes to about $2100 with a bunch of 'instant savings' lowering the price by over $900.  But, when shipping to Canada none of those savings are present and the price jumps to over $4000CAD.  Even accounting for the poor Canadian dollar this is still a very bad price and not even close to a MBP-Retina with similar specs.

Is this an oversight and can we expect similar savings for Canadian orders soon?

0 Kudos
DELL-Jared D
3 Argentium

There is currently a Presidents Day sale that is running. I'd think that would be the reason, but I'm not a pricing person so am not sure.

(That aside, there are no Macbooks with Skylake processors, UHD display, or Thunderbolt 3 nor any upgradable to 32GB of RAM.)

--
Linux OS Architecture

0 Kudos
aalotia
1 Copper

Thanks much for the update. Any information about how comprehensive the Linux support is on the Precision 5510. This machine looks to be a superb fit for my needs (development, ops, many docker containers, some vagrant boxes) and the custom config is fantastic. Will it be shipping with 14.04 + patches to support the new hardware.

I'm keen to know if power saving, suspend, keyboard backlight etc. work under Linux. Also does the USB-C Gigabit Ethernet adapter offered as an accessory when configuring work with Linux?

aalotia
1 Copper

Attempted to place a phone order in the UK for a Precision 5510 with Ubuntu. Seems that there are some problems that prevented the phone sales rep from building the machine. He told me that he could not configure the machine with Linux. Would appreciate help getting this sorted.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DELL-Jared D
3 Argentium

aalotia: What kinds of issues?

--
Linux OS Architecture

0 Kudos