Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 1st, 2016 01:00

Update on XPS 13/15 2016 Developer Edition availability

Any news on the availability for any of the new XPS machines in a Developer Edition?

And do you know exactly what specifications will be used? I.e. 13? 15? Ram/screen/etc.?

Thanks, Phil.

350 Posts

February 11th, 2016 14:00

Do you have any updates on the availability of the precision 5510 with Linux in Europe (specifically in France in my case) ? It seems the Ubuntu OS choice is still not available.

It's available now offline (phone, account rep, etc) and is considered launched in every country we sell Precision mobile in. Online rollout takes some time, but it should be available online in your country any day now.

350 Posts

February 11th, 2016 14:00

rcatajar
Do you have any updates on the availability of the precision 5510 with Linux in Europe (specifically in France in my case) ? It seems the Ubuntu OS choice is still not available.

It's available now offline (phone, account rep, etc) and is considered launched in every country we sell Precision mobile in. Online rollout takes some time, but it should be available online in your country any day now.

Oh, and I should be clear that the same is also true for the Precision 3510, 7510 and 7710.

5 Posts

February 12th, 2016 06:00

Please make sure the XPS 13 Skylake Developer Edition will have a US-keyboard (horizontal "enter") option available in Germany!

So much better keyboard for developing than the German one. And so many non-German developers in Germany!!

Thanks a lot!!

14 Posts

February 13th, 2016 05:00

Hi,

I understand that you can't provide any details before formal release. However, if you will make an XPS 13 Developer Edition of the cnx9322 (QHD+, i7-6560U, 16GB, 512GB PCIe) available in Denmark soon, you will have one more customer :-) (The 1TB is just too expensive...)

Just wishing :-)

21 Posts

February 15th, 2016 15:00

Hi Jared, I have been following this thread very closely, since i'm also eager to get a precision 5510 with Ubuntu... After inquiring to a Dell reseller in France, I was replied that only a Freedos version would be available on the dell website (from tonight onwards they also said, but I just checked and still only windows is there). Do you confirm ? That would be so unfortunate ! I was so happy and now I'm very disappointed, if it is confirmed... I know the sputnik team is doing an incredible job nonetheless :-).

Best,

Axel

27 Posts

February 16th, 2016 06:00

This may be a stupid question but is the Precision 5510 with Ubuntu that you can order now the developer's edition or will there be a different version for that?

5 Posts

February 16th, 2016 07:00

Awesome! Can't wait for XPS 13 DE! :-) Please let us know once you have any updates!

350 Posts

February 16th, 2016 09:00

Hi Jared, I have been following this thread very closely, since i'm also eager to get a precision 5510 with Ubuntu... After inquiring to a Dell reseller in France, I was replied that only a Freedos version would be available on the dell website (from tonight onwards they also said, but I just checked and still only windows is there). Do you confirm ? That would be so unfortunate ! I was so happy and now I'm very disappointed, if it is confirmed... I know the sputnik team is doing an incredible job nonetheless :-).

Hi Axel,

We don't do FreeDOS these days. The reseller may be confused. Ubuntu 14.04 is available on the Precision 5510 and should be available for online order in your country through Dell.com soon.

21 Posts

February 16th, 2016 10:00

Thanks a lot Jared, very comforting to hear that !

Cheers, Axel

1 Message

February 16th, 2016 12:00

A question about Precision 5510 pricing between the US and Canada:

When shipping to the US, a Precision 5510 with Ubuntu i7, 16gb, 512gb SSD comes to about $2100 with a bunch of 'instant savings' lowering the price by over $900.  But, when shipping to Canada none of those savings are present and the price jumps to over $4000CAD.  Even accounting for the poor Canadian dollar this is still a very bad price and not even close to a MBP-Retina with similar specs.

Is this an oversight and can we expect similar savings for Canadian orders soon?

350 Posts

February 16th, 2016 13:00

There is currently a Presidents Day sale that is running. I'd think that would be the reason, but I'm not a pricing person so am not sure.

(That aside, there are no Macbooks with Skylake processors, UHD display, or Thunderbolt 3 nor any upgradable to 32GB of RAM.)

19 Posts

February 16th, 2016 16:00

Thanks much for the update. Any information about how comprehensive the Linux support is on the Precision 5510. This machine looks to be a superb fit for my needs (development, ops, many docker containers, some vagrant boxes) and the custom config is fantastic. Will it be shipping with 14.04 + patches to support the new hardware.

I'm keen to know if power saving, suspend, keyboard backlight etc. work under Linux. Also does the USB-C Gigabit Ethernet adapter offered as an accessory when configuring work with Linux?

19 Posts

February 17th, 2016 05:00

Attempted to place a phone order in the UK for a Precision 5510 with Ubuntu. Seems that there are some problems that prevented the phone sales rep from building the machine. He told me that he could not configure the machine with Linux. Would appreciate help getting this sorted.

Thanks

350 Posts

February 17th, 2016 11:00

aalotia: What kinds of issues?

19 Posts

February 18th, 2016 06:00

Hi DELL_Jared D,

Thanks for following up. Having read the previous posts in this forum thread I called Dell UK and attempted to place a phone order for a precision 5510. The basic spec was:

• Intel® Core i7-6820HQ
  • 32 GB Ram
  • 1TB m2 PCIe ssd
  • 6 Cell battery
  • 3 Year battery warranty
  • 3 Year ProSupport Plus Warranty

I requested a U.S. Keyboard layout and Ubuntu on it. I didn't specify the Ubuntu version since the version has already been indicated on the forum in your previous posts.

The salesperson said that he couldn't select Linux as the operating system when he was selecting the requested configuration on the machine in the ordering system. I mentioned the post on this thread that had indicated that Ubuntu was now widely available and he said that it wasn't available in the UK. I would appreciate some help figuring out how I can get an order placed.

Thanks

No Events found!