Highlighted
mstucki
1 Copper

RE: Update on XPS 13/15 2016 Developer Edition availability

Well, I assume that Dell doesn't need any financial support from users for supporting Linux πŸ™‚

However, the situation is similar for me: I really need to buy a new laptop soon, but I'm only waiting because 1) I want to show Dell that there is demand for Ubuntu based systems, and 2) I can save the hassle with replacing the Wifi adapter.

Other than this, I don't care much about paying for the included Windows license (may still use it in a VM instead) and I can easily install Ubuntu on my own. That being said, I assume that the 9350 developer edition won't be more different to the existing configurations - is that correct?

In short: What other reasons are there to wait for the Developer Edition?

0 Kudos
DELL-Barton Ge
3 Argentium

Elax75,

thanks for the support! πŸ™‚

Barton George

0 Kudos
DELL-Barton Ge
3 Argentium

@bfsworks,

Thanks for your patience and support! 

Barton George

0 Kudos
jefish
2 Bronze

Any thoughts on whether the new XPS will be orderable in the US before the $100-off coupons expire this week? emoticon.Wink.title

0 Kudos
andrea0206
1 Copper

Is there any chance we could get an updated guide on how to get Linux running on the XPS 13 9350? Looks like quite some people are struggling with the problems related to wifi support, BIOS updates, SSD mode, safe boot... Personally I did not expect to encounter that many problems on a laptop whose previous version was actually shipped with Ubuntu preinstalled πŸ™‚ After a week of struggles to get everything working on this machine I updated the BIOS to the latest version and I am not able to boot Ubuntu anymore.... If you could share a bit of the knowledge you have built working on the Developer Edition it could be EXTREMELY HELPFUL πŸ™‚

0 Kudos
DELL-Barton Ge
3 Argentium

Jefish,

Stay tuned, we're hard at work πŸ™‚

Barton George

0 Kudos
dthiery
2 Bronze

dthiery
That's awesome to hear! I seem to remember you've said that the drivers are in a directory (possibly debs) on the system. As long as I have a copy hove those drivers can I do a fresh install of 15.10 (or 16.04 when it's released) and just install those drivers?

My 5510 was just delivered today and love it! I especially love the Ubuntu sticker πŸ™‚ 

I was looking for the directory with the drivers and couldn't find it, do you know where it is?  Also, I know Dell only uses LTS versions of Ubuntu so does that mean there will be a version of 16.04 available and if so, will there be an image made available for upgrading?

0 Kudos
DELL-Jared D
3 Argentium

My 5510 was just delivered today and love it! I especially love the Ubuntu sticker πŸ™‚ 

Awesome!

I was looking for the directory with the drivers and couldn't find it, do you know where it is?  Also, I know Dell only uses LTS versions of Ubuntu so does that mean there will be a version of 16.04 available and if so, will there be an image made available for upgrading?

There's a partition that contains the recovery media. It's the same contents as you'd find when you create recovery media. There's a directory in root of the recovery media/partition with all the debs.

--
Project Sputnik development lead
Software Principal Engineer
Linux OS Architecture
Dell | Client Product Group

0 Kudos
Hello-World
2 Bronze

Do you already know if there will be a DE with new Intel Iris Graphics and i7 6560U?

It seems you didn't see my question. Since you reviewed the status now i'm sure you can say something about the configurations πŸ˜›

0 Kudos

Hi!

I literally just got my shinning new Dell Precision 5510 with Ubuntu. I haven't been able to test it thoroughly yet, but so far is working like a charm! The machine is beautiful and Ubuntu is working great. I love the sticker too.

On the next few days, I'll probably post some questions, like for example, what types of updates can I do not messing with the configuration. Also, I noticed that there are a lot of 'additional drivers' enabled, I wouldn't want to mess something up by making a clean install.

Anyway, I just wanted to take the time to thank you Jared, Barton and the hole team. This is a superb laptop and is running Ubuntu seamlessly. I know you have putted a lot of effort and it shows. Thank you so much. It is such a nice thing to have one of the best machines on the market working with ubuntu natively. I hope project Sputnick only grows from here.

Best,

Santiago.

0 Kudos