Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 1st, 2016 01:00

Update on XPS 13/15 2016 Developer Edition availability

Any news on the availability for any of the new XPS machines in a Developer Edition?

And do you know exactly what specifications will be used? I.e. 13? 15? Ram/screen/etc.?

Thanks, Phil.

19 Posts

February 26th, 2016 08:00

Barton or Jared please provide info for the UK as well if possible. Jared has noted that he had emailed after I had posted about difficulty ordering in the UK. Would be great to know if he received a reply.

Thanks

14 Posts

February 26th, 2016 09:00

Hi Barton and Jared,

To stay with the original topic of this thread could you please provide some status or ETA on XPS 13 DE availability??

Since the HW is already available it cannot possibly be a trade secret when you are going to launch the Developer Editions. Furthermore it is in nobody’s interest that people give up on the seemingly endless waiting, just to buy some other laptop the day before you announce availability. We all understand there is work to be done and schedules may slip - it is however frustrating having no end in sight. I guess most readers of this thread want to support you, so please be a little transparent with us :-)

You may tell your European team that they are holding up or possibly diverting Dell revenue, if that helps driving your point :-)

Thanks for doing this!

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

February 26th, 2016 10:00

Hi Tomvest,

we are nailing down the exact dates for the Europe launch at this point.  We are in full swing getting things ready.

Thanks for the support!!

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

February 26th, 2016 10:00

@aalotia,

I just sent an email (following up on Jared's) to our Euro team asking for a status.

stay tuned!

9 Posts

February 26th, 2016 11:00

Hello to everyone, I have been following this thread (which had a different name at an earlier point) since December 2015. Until now silent, now I want to show my "desperation" for the xps Dev edition :D I hope to get a unit by April, could there be made a comment on how realistically my hopes are? Realitistic? Unrealistic? Very realistic? Not realistic? If I could get an answers with the given options, I would be able to handle my desperation a bit better :D Many greeting to everyone, especially to the hardworking project managers ;)

14 Posts

Hi Barton,

We know you are working hard! Can you provide an inexact date? :-)

(one week, two weeks, one month, two months??)

9 Posts

PS: availability for de customers..

46 Posts

Is the Euro release actually holding up the rollout to the rest of the world? How is the, say, US release contingent upon the Euro release?

I sure hope your reply in the other thread, "should be available in the next two months," isn't realistic. :)

46 Posts

February 26th, 2016 12:00

Yep, loads of passion. And impatience. We're like 9-year-olds on Christmas Eve.

I'm choosing to read your "less than two months" comment in the other thread like "Yes, the XPS 13 DE will cost less than $150,000." Accurate, though cagey. ;)

14 Posts

There is a fine line between building expectation and building frustration.

Being so coy makes it feel like waiting for Godot.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

Europe, Canada and the US launches are all separate and all being worked.  Id rather be conservative in my guesstimates rather than being aggressive and then missing them :)

thanks for all the passion :)

76 Posts

February 26th, 2016 21:00

I can only give encouragement (& urge a little patience) to everybody.  I still love my 2014 XPS 13 (9333).  It worked great out of the box (it had Ubuntu 12.04 preinstalled).  I have since upgraded to Ubuntu 15.10 (although with some pain....) and it now works great with the D3100 dock and extra monitors.

I am sure the new 15" model will be even better (and I'm sure I'll need an upgrade at some point!).

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

Alan

21 Posts

February 27th, 2016 02:00

Romain and Axel,

Let me check with our folks in Europe.  My understanding is that the 5510 w/Ubuntu should be available in France.

Thanks for the heads up and stay tuned!

Thanks a lot for your hard work Barton !

Is there anything else we can do, anybody we can get in touch with, to make 5510 w ubuntu happen in Europe ?

2 Posts

February 27th, 2016 03:00

rcatajar
Do you know what will be the differences between the regular precision 5510 and the dev edition ? (price? specs?, something else?)

Price, Ubuntu 14.04, Type C driver functionality, official support (via ProSupport).

When you say 'type C driver functionality', I assume that you will supply drivers for that to linux. Am I wrong? What then would be the difference between a regular XPS and installing linux on it, and the DE XPS ?

8 Posts

February 29th, 2016 01:00

I agree with you ! It is an important point to get clarification on...

For example, I am planning to install Archlinux / Parabola on it so would be important to know if the drivers will be available somewhere and if we will be able to install the Linux flavor of our choice, or we have been wiating for the DE version for nothing as it will only support the pre-installed version of Linux.

My fear is particulary on USB-c and muli adapter (ethernet-VGA-HDMI) where I can't live without it and mandatory for me that this will supported on my Linux flavor.

No Events found!