Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 1st, 2016 01:00

Update on XPS 13/15 2016 Developer Edition availability

Any news on the availability for any of the new XPS machines in a Developer Edition?

And do you know exactly what specifications will be used? I.e. 13? 15? Ram/screen/etc.?

Thanks, Phil.

21 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 03:00

Barton George

Romain and Axel,

Let me check with our folks in Europe.  My understanding is that the 5510 w/Ubuntu should be available in France.

Thanks for the heads up and stay tuned!

Thanks a lot for your hard work Barton !

Is there anything else we can do, anybody we can get in touch with, to make 5510 w ubuntu happen in Europe ?

Hi Sputnik team, any news re availability and launch dates in Europe ?

Axel

25 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 07:00

I'm not from Dell or anything. But i'm almost sure they are "working on it as we speak".

I think we just need to be patient.

2 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 08:00

Hi Axel,

since I ordered one last week with Ubuntu pre-installed in Switzerland via email/telephone ordering I think it is already available. The status is "shipping".

It just not yet in the online configurator.

Just call them and ask!

Cheers.

Hannes

14 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 09:00

Hi Hannes,

I am also based in Switzerland and tried to order it. Indeed it is not available online, and even on the phone I did not manage to speak to an operator. I got a recorded message that referred me to the website.
 I used the contact form online, and I was called back by someone that thought that (since I used the "education" form) I wanted to buy a large number of laptops. I actually plan to purchase the laptop through my university, but to get only one

• . When I explained that, I was promised that someone from sales would call me back, but nothing so far.

• Which number did you call?

• actually I would be willing to push my university to give to staff and students the possibility of buying the precision 5510 and xps13, but that is not easy and will take 4 months in the best case scenario. I'd be happy to discuss this with someone from Dell: in short, there is a centralised system used by all student and staff of all Swiss universities when they want to buy a laptop, and if the XPS13 and precision 5510 ended up among the options I am quite certain that it would impact the sales and the "fame" of these systems considerably.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 10:00

Hi Axel,

I just pinged them again.  I appreciate your patience

thanks for the support!

3 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 11:00

Hi Jared,

First of all, thanks for working on proper Linux support! Also, it's great that you guys are pushing both the Distro as well as the hardware vendors to upstream changes/fixes.

I am looking at a Precision 5510 as my potential new development machine and have a couple of questions:

- Are the fixes that have been done published anywhere? Git(Hub) repo somewhere maybe?
- It seems like it's impossible to order a 5510 without the integrated graphics. Is this just an options that's missing or is it really not possible? I know they're no longer called "developer edition", but I'd guess the majority of developers doesn't need an external GPU.
If there is no 5510 available without external GPU can the option be enabled to fully disable the external GPU in the bios?
- Parallel to this, will there be a version with the Iris Pro Graphics P580 instead of the HD Graphics P530 the CPU's that are available now have?

FYI, I live in Europe as well (Netherlands) and both the XPS 13 and Precision 5510 can't be ordered with Ubuntu from the website.

Thanks again and have a nice day!

8 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 12:00

Since this thread is about XPS Developer Edition availability would it be useful to have a separate thread for Linux availability on Precision 5510 (or all Mobile Precision workstations) or are people happy enough tracking information for both on this thread?

Ubuntu Linux 14.04 has been available for the Precision 5510 for nearly a month now, at least.  I had checked the Dell website around Feb. 9th (according to my own post on the Notebookreview.com forums), and Ubuntu Linux was listed as an option.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 13:00

FES016,

Which country are you in?  It has been available here in the states for a bit.  By Europe has been a bit spotty.

thanks!

5 Posts

March 4th, 2016 08:00

In the UK I'm still eagerly awaiting the release, I wonder if there should be a bleeding edge release for those that are OK with support not quite being finished.

6 Posts

You said 3 weeks ago that the XPS 13 will be coming in weeks not months. Do you have a better idea of the timeline now ?

Are we talking of days now ? :)

Thanks for your work !

Hello,

Are there any updates on availability? I was told that more information would be available beginning early next month.

Thanks!

21 Posts

Hi Axel,

since I ordered one last week with Ubuntu pre-installed in Switzerland via email/telephone ordering I think it is already available. The status is "shipping".

It just not yet in the online configurator.

Just call them and ask!

Cheers.

Hannes

Hi everyone. Thx a lot for the tip Hannes. I called Dell France and was also able to order by phone (actually i have not yet, just want to check with a reseller if i can get a better deal...).

So i confirm that you can order the precision 5510 ubuntu edition by phone, at least in France, and that's awesome !!!

UHD or FHD is now the only question remaining for me :-)

Cheers everyone, esp Barton, Jared and the sputnik team.

Axel

6 Posts

There is a fine line between building expectation and building frustration.

Being so coy makes it feel like waiting for Godot.

Unfortunately, that still hits it.

So, where are the teasers? :-)

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

Hi Tech.nik,

Which country are you in?  US launch is right around the corner. Europe a bit behind. 

Im being vague because of the slim chance that something will come up that pushes the launch back.  Dont want to promise and then not deliver :)

thanks for your patience and support!

15 Posts

March 4th, 2016 11:00

Has anyone tried it in the US? 

No Events found!