Highlighted

RE: Update on XPS 13/15 2016 Developer Edition availability

Hi TVTB,  I just pinged the team to see where we are at wrt bring the i5 online.  Stay tuned!

Barton George

Highlighted

Hi Tormen,

We are talking weeks now, and not too many, before the next gen Dev Edition lands in Europe.  

thanks for your support!!!

Barton George

Highlighted
1 Copper

We have no plans of not offering the i7 from this current gen.

Ah thank you for clarifying.

The config we have coming online will be i5/8/256 FHD NT/Intel 8260 and it should be under $1,100

While people are chiming in what configs they were looking for, here's mine: i5/16gb/128/qhd+. 256 ssd would also work, and matte display would have been a great feature.

To me personally 16gb ram (and qhd+) is more important than the i7, and it seems like in that combination the price would be around $1500 or less.

Thank you for all your efforts!

Highlighted
1 Copper

The main reason for the fresh install is to enable whole disk encryption. Is it possible to enable whole disk encryption using the recovery image?

DThiery,

I didn't see anyone answer this, so I'll take a stab at it.  Even if the recovery image cannot do this, it is almost always possible to enable encrypted root on an exiting install by booting into a recovery disk (preferably one from the same distro).  You need to move the data from your existing partitions, create new ones with the encryption and partitioning scheme you need, copy your data back into the new partitions, chroot into the new root, update the crypttab and fstab to match the new partitions, update the resume configuration for your initramfs, add any new modules needed for the encryption or for LVM to the initramfs modules, regenerate the initramfs, and possibly update grub.

I would highly recommend doing this in a virtual machine first to be sure you have all of the steps down.  UEFI may also throw some wrinkles into the picture.

For the exact steps, google for full-disk encryption guides for the distribution you want to run, or similar distributions.

The Debian and Ubuntu installers normally use a primary partition for /boot and then create an extended partition which holds the LUKS partition, inside of which are two logical volumes, one for / and one for swap. It isn't difficult to replicate this setup using a pre-installed system, only tedious and time consuming.  On a laptop which probably won't need more than two partitions, there may be no particular advantage to putting LUKS in an extended partition instead of in a second primary.  One can also encrypt /boot and decrypt from GRUB, though it's not something I've yet tried.

If you don't have storage space to back up your system partitions elsewhere, you can actually encrypt a system that's mostly empty (like a new laptop) in place, but it is much more complicated, since you need to shrink and move your existing partitions, then move the data into new logical volumes on LUKS, then blow away your old partitions, then blow away and recreate LUKS (in place, of curse) with the full free space of the drive, then expand your logical volumes, then grow their filesystems.  Still, it is achievable, but again, well worth testing first in a VM.

Stephen

Highlighted
1 Copper

With the 7510 and 7710, there're two bugs related to the UHD panel. That's the reason for the restriction. Once both bugs are resolved, the restriction will be lifted. There is no such restriction for the 5510.

Good to know.  Thank you!

I don't believe we test hibernation anymore, at least on systems with discrete GPUs. However, for what it's worth, these days I see little impact on battery life when using suspend.

Understood.  These days the need for hibernation is more for multiple boots than for battery.

One other question:

I've read that many Dell machines do not support Intel VT-x and even more do not support VT-d, even though in many cases the BIOS would report these features were enabled.  The earlier versions of the XPS-13 were notorious for this, and I've read conflicting reports about the new ones.  Can you confirm whether or not VT-x and VT-d are working on the XPS-13, and also on the new Ubuntu Precision systems (of which I'm losing track of all of the model numbers - a good problem to have!)?

Again, great work to you and all of your team!

Thanks,

Stephen

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Ya'll are being complainy-pantses 🙂 The best we're going to get are mashups of the parts used for the DE and non-DE XPS 13, and a matte QHD display isn't going to happen.

Highlighted

Hi Tranceash,

In the past our Australian team hasnt offered the developer edition 😞 .  Let me check with them again.

thanks!

Barton George

2 Bronze

While I loved my Precision 5510 while I had it it's been frustrating dealing with Dell support. My laptop is currently in support purgatory (issue with the display) on a parts hold and has been since 2/29. I keep checking the status when the estimated date for the part is supposed to arrive but it keeps getting pushed back. I could have ordered another new one and had it in my hands long ago!

Sorry for ranting but I just needed to vent...

Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi Sputnik team!

I'm tracking your work for over a year now and I'm currently preparing to make the jump from mac to linux.

I'd love to get a Dell XPS 13 and I'd love to be able to support your work but, as other mentioned, I need a portable, developer focused machine. Which means that things I focus on are:

* Battery
* RAM
* Battery
* Battery
* Battery

Everything I read so far about XPS13 is that QHD screen uses significantly more energy than FHD, and that i5 may also be more battery friendly (although as significant as screen).

That means that I'd love to get a configuration with FHD, 16 GB of ram, and preferably i5, but i7 would be ok.

Now, it seems like the RAM is not replaceable, which means that I'm stuck with what I'll buy. And it sounds like not only for DE, but for Windows XPS13 as well, the only option to get 16 GB of ram is to get QHD.

I have to say that I struggle to understand it - the laptop I'm looking to replace - MacBook Air 2013 - has 8GB of ram.

How can you be selling a high end laptop in 2016, that is supposed to last till, say, 2018, with 8GB ram only (or forcing QHD)?

Is that a technical limitation or business decisions?

If it's business, is there a chance (I think Baron indicated it, but I'm not sure) that you will add FHD+16GB ram at some point?

Highlighted

Hi Neil,

Sorry for the misinformation, the XPS DE should be available in the UK in matter of weeks.  i should be the same HW as the Win version but with the intel wifi

thanks!

Barton George