Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 1st, 2016 01:00

Update on XPS 13/15 2016 Developer Edition availability

Any news on the availability for any of the new XPS machines in a Developer Edition?

And do you know exactly what specifications will be used? I.e. 13? 15? Ram/screen/etc.?

Thanks, Phil.

May 16th, 2016 15:00

I was travelling for most of two weeks and am catching up on email, so my apologies for the delay.

VT-x is definitely supported and has been there for every generation that we've been doing Ubuntu on the XPS 13. I believe VT-d is supported on all current and previous generation XPS 13's, though I've only looked on the i7 systems. The same is true for Precision mobile.

Jared,

Thank you for the confirmation.  My own apologies for my own belated reply and thanks. 

9 Posts

May 29th, 2016 09:00

Just wanted to say that Dell Greece is clueless.... this long and still the Dell XPS 13 Dev Edition i7 is not to be found, asked reseller and DellGR themselves, completely useless, no ETA, nothing. Horrible.

I've been waiting for months now, and doesn't look good, I hope to be able to support towards the Linux movement, but sales coordination seems broken.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

May 29th, 2016 11:00

@Freml

I apologize for your experience.  Let me follow up with our European team and see what's up.  Stay tuned

Barton

4 Posts

May 29th, 2016 17:00

I was wondering why the XPS 13 Developer Edition is being sold in Europe and North America but NOT in Australia?

Is there any plan for this to happen?

9 Posts

May 31st, 2016 00:00

Thanks Barton, really appreciated.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

May 31st, 2016 12:00

Hi @blekm83,

Availability of products is decided by each region and each region only has a certain amount of systems overall that it can offer.  

Im saving inquiries like yours and if we get enough interest i will use them to help build a case for support in Australia.

thanks

4 Posts

May 31st, 2016 17:00

thanks George. 

2 Posts

June 5th, 2016 02:00

Hello,

I have just read all the pages. First of all, I have to say that you, the heroes of the Sputnik Team, are doing a great job for the whole Linux community. Big thanks for this even if I end buying another brand.

I have found a lot of answers here and many of them raised even more questions in my head.

I need something bigger than a 13 inch screen and I am wondering why not to make XPS 15 DE, too. Does the hardware differ that much that it would require excessive extra effort from you?

If I am right, it has been said, earlier in this thread, that an open source Broadcom driver made its way to the Ubuntu 16.04 or 16.10. Is this true? So why you are still replacing the wireless card for an Intel one for the 13 DE? Because you sell it with 14.04 pre-installed? Or is it still better to have Intel since the Broadcom drivers are buggy?

Do NON-DE XPS 13 and 15 share the same wireless card so, if the previous statement is true, open source driver for the Broadcom card installed in XPS 15 can be found in latest Ubuntu as well?

I really need to buy the top model of XPS 15, one of the highest models of Precision or something similar from another manufacturer. I am quite scared that I will end enslaved solving endless quirks and problems. I need a machine that will work for me, not vice versa.

One final thought. It is good for you, the Sputnik Team, as well as the Linux community when DELL knows that there are Linux users. It makes sense to buy the DE just because of this. Fine. But you should make a registration page where users can register their laptops and state that they are using Linux on it. There is A LOT of users who are forced to buy a laptop just to throw the pre-installed Windows OS in the first minute - replacing it with a Linux distribution of their choice. Let DELL know there is many of us.

Thanks, Dave

2 Posts

June 5th, 2016 03:00

OK, looks like Precision 5510 Ubuntu Edition with a bigger SSD and extra RAM is the way to go for me. That's definitely great because I prefer buying a DELL. Just if I can have a few extra questions ...

Does it go with Intel or Broadcom wireless in the Ubuntu Edition? And what about "original" Windows version?

I need to start over with a fresh Ubuntu 16.04 or 16.10. Do I have to expect some compatibility problems? Is there a works / doesn't work list?

Thanks, Dave

9 Posts

June 8th, 2016 06:00

For some reason Dell GR decided not to bring Dell XPS 13 with i7 to Greece and said they would remove it from the website so it's not confusing. The strange thing is that there is one unit with i5 available on a reseller.

Anyway, this is crazy, I offered to buy an exact version from a different country (UK or anything) so the only thing they would have to do is import it within EU, but they declined.

It's so disappointing... Anyway, I'm looking at other manufacturers now.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

June 8th, 2016 14:00

@Freml,

I apologize but I have not heard back from our European team with regards to the situation in Greece.

Let me reach out again.

thanks

20 Posts

June 8th, 2016 22:00

Hi George Barton,

Could you please let me know if the XPS 9550 or the Precision 5510 could be ordered with a US keyboard from Spain? I tried to contact Dell chat but they have no clue...

Many thanks.

Sofiane

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

June 9th, 2016 07:00

Hi @Sofiane,

The US keyboard should be available in Spain but let me reconfirm.  Stand by

thanks!

20 Posts

June 14th, 2016 23:00

Thanks George.

Did you have the chance to get a feedback from the Spanish team?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Sofiane

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

June 15th, 2016 09:00

Hi Sofiane,

Sorry for the delay.  I just went back to the team again and they confirmed that you should be able to get the international US keyboard both for the Precision 5510 and XPS 13 developer edition.  Here is the link for the XPS 13 dev ed.

http://www.dell.com/es/p/xps-13-9350-laptop-ubuntu/pd?ref=PD_OC (change able via drop down in the config column)

Let me know if you have any other issues.

thanks!

No Events found!