Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 1st, 2016 01:00

Update on XPS 13/15 2016 Developer Edition availability

Any news on the availability for any of the new XPS machines in a Developer Edition?

And do you know exactly what specifications will be used? I.e. 13? 15? Ram/screen/etc.?

Thanks, Phil.

350 Posts

November 8th, 2016 12:00

Will the xps 15 have  a xeon processor and FHD dispkay without touchscreen options?

No. If you want that combination, look at the Precision 5510.

20 Posts

November 8th, 2016 12:00

Will the xps 15 have  a xeon processor and FHD dispkay without touchscreen options?

4 Posts

November 11th, 2016 14:00

Hi guys,

Thank you for bringing Linux on these great laptops. But is there any plans to sell them in Russia? There're lots of interest and huge Linux following among developers and geeks here but we've got no option but to buy Windows laptops. I, for one, have been doing that for years :( And I'm not alone. There's no Dell resellers here who actually sells DE versions and it ***. To buy a new laptop without paying for OS I don't need, I have to buy a new machine from US website. It would be really great to finally have a chance to buy a proper laptop designed to be run under Linux in some local stores.

350 Posts

November 11th, 2016 15:00

Thank you for bringing Linux on these great laptops. But is there any plans to sell them in Russia?

My understanding is that you should be able to purchase our Precision systems with Ubuntu in Russia.

4 Posts

November 11th, 2016 23:00

Thank you for your reply, Jared. I wish it was true.

While I've seen Barton's post with links to local Dell websites' DE pages, it looks like it doesn't actually work for Russia. And, unfortunately, I've been there before. XPS 13 page there insists the model is available with MS Windows only. And if you look at market.yandex.ru, the biggest DB with aggregated data on specifications and prices of devices legally imported to Russia collected from lots of sellers and chains, there's no XPS 13 running Linux available there. The situation is the same across different vendors. Over the years I bought some powerful laptops by Acer, Asus, Lenovo among others in Russia. All of them were running Windows even if some insisted it would be available with Linux or FreeDOS. Actually you can find some Linux-based models here in Russia, but those are not the best of the best (say, Inspirions 3552, 3558, 5758 with Core i3 are available from local stores). And, thus, developers are forced to buy Windows laptops they don't need.

November 12th, 2016 18:00

Similar in Japan where I currently live - XPS13 is "Windows only".

Which is interesting, as Dell has quite a large presence in Japan (not only available online, but also in almost every electronics store).

Disappointing.

20 Posts

November 13th, 2016 05:00

Shall we expect the dell precision kaby lake by the Christmas or by end of January?

350 Posts

November 14th, 2016 16:00

Thank you for your reply, Jared. I wish it was true.

While I've seen Barton's post with links to local Dell websites' DE pages, it looks like it doesn't actually work for Russia. And, unfortunately, I've been there before. XPS 13 page there insists the model is available with MS Windows only. And if you look at market.yandex.ru, the biggest DB with aggregated data on specifications and prices of devices legally imported to Russia collected from lots of sellers and chains, there's no XPS 13 running Linux available there. The situation is the same across different vendors. Over the years I bought some powerful laptops by Acer, Asus, Lenovo among others in Russia. All of them were running Windows even if some insisted it would be available with Linux or FreeDOS. Actually you can find some Linux-based models here in Russia, but those are not the best of the best (say, Inspirions 3552, 3558, 5758 with Core i3 are available from local stores). And, thus, developers are forced to buy Windows laptops they don't need.

We do not sell the XPS 13 Developer Edition in Russia. My statement was specifically about Precision. In particular, I was able to pull up the Russia page for the Precision 5510, and it lists Ubuntu.

4 Posts

November 15th, 2016 00:00

> We do not sell the XPS 13 Developer Edition in Russia. My statement was specifically about Precision.

My mistake, you did talk about Precisions. Thank you for your clarification.

Really shame there's no XPS DE available here :( Precision 5510 is good, but XPS suits my needs better.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

November 15th, 2016 08:00

Unfortunately we cant give out dates :(

Thanks for the interest!

350 Posts

November 15th, 2016 13:00

> We do not sell the XPS 13 Developer Edition in Russia. My statement was specifically about Precision.

My mistake, you did talk about Precisions. Thank you for your clarification.

Really shame there's no XPS DE available here :( Precision 5510 is good, but XPS suits my needs better.

It turns out I was wrong. The XPS 13 Developer Edition is supposed to be available in Russia, but you have to order offline.

4 Posts

November 16th, 2016 02:00

Thank you, Jared! I'll try.

3 Posts

November 18th, 2016 16:00

@Sofiantio

It will happen but unfortunately we cant give a time.

thanks for the interest!

I'm definitely interested in a new Kaby Lake based XPS or precision as well!
Is any feedback on customer wishes of use to the sputnik team?

Since it's called a developer edition I'd very much prefer a high-end/i7/Xeon quad core Kaby Lake with an integrated GPU to give maximum battery life and cooling for the CPU instead of GPU power I never need for building software. Really hope that would be a possibility.

Also Xeon + 32GB ECC memory together with 2x nvme SSD would be very welcome to create the perfect Linux/ZFS dev workstation.

Another small thing: I see no added benefit to a Killer wifi card, just use a decent Intel one or a regular atheros card, that guarantees a bit better compatibility.

3 Posts

December 2nd, 2016 02:00

@Barton George or any other member of the sputnik team, is there any update/feedback on the Kaby Lake based 15" machines with regards to configuration and Linux support?

December 11th, 2016 11:00

Any chance of getting the 16 GB RAM with i5 on an XPS 13 WITHOUT THE TOUCHSCREEN?

I don't wanna give in the limited battery life to a touch and glossy QHD display, just want it with matte finish, and good configuration of 16 GB Ram etc... without that, I might end up purchasing my first non-dell laptop..!

No Events found!