DELL-Barton Ge
3 Argentium

RE: Update on XPS 13/15 2016 Developer Edition availability

That's awesome Santiago!  Glad you like it and thanks for the kind words.

Out of curiosity, which country are you in? 

Barton George

0 Kudos

I'm in the US, in Chicago.  And bought it in Feb 19, so it got super fast!

Question: Are there some updates that I should avoid or not do?

0 Kudos
rcatajar
1 Copper

Hi Barton,

Ubuntu on the Precision 5510 is still unavailable online in France (see here). Do you have any update about futur availability ?

I try to order by phone, but the salesperson also had no infos on it. He mentions the possibility to configure the PC with "Freedos" and said it might be what I'm looking for. Can you confirm or not if FreeDos = Ubuntu ? (I'm not sure, but I think you mentioned something like that in this thread).

Thanks,

Romain

0 Kudos
Elax75
1 Copper

Hey Romain, i've had the same experience with Dell customer service in France (je suis français aussi) and was the one who brought the issue in this thread. Jared from the sputnik team replied that it does not make sense since they're not doing FreeDOS anymore... I guess it means customer service does not know what Ubuntu is. And this is not reassuring at all... Don't know what else to do but wait...

Cheers,

Axel

0 Kudos
fes016
1 Copper

Also, I know Dell only uses LTS versions of Ubuntu so does that mean there will be a version of 16.04 available and if so, will there be an image made available for upgrading?

I pretty much asked the same thing in another thread (http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/os-applications/f/4613/t/19676621) and there has been no answer as of yet.  Maybe the members of the Project Sputnik team themselves do not know.  Or maybe they are not permitted to answer. emoticon.Hmm.title

I had already ordered, received, and returned a Precision 5510 (it had Windows 10 on it, although that wasn't the main reason I returned it).  If I were to know that the Precision 5510 would eventually have Ubuntu 16.04 pre-installed, then I would rather wait until after April and order again.

0 Kudos
DELL-Barton Ge
3 Argentium

Romain and Axel,

Let me check with our folks in Europe.  My understanding is that the 5510 w/Ubuntu should be available in France.

Thanks for the heads up and stay tuned!

Barton George

0 Kudos
aalotia
1 Copper

Barton or Jared please provide info for the UK as well if possible. Jared has noted that he had emailed after I had posted about difficulty ordering in the UK. Would be great to know if he received a reply.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Tomvest
1 Copper

Hi Barton and Jared,

To stay with the original topic of this thread could you please provide some status or ETA on XPS 13 DE availability??

Since the HW is already available it cannot possibly be a trade secret when you are going to launch the Developer Editions. Furthermore it is in nobody’s interest that people give up on the seemingly endless waiting, just to buy some other laptop the day before you announce availability. We all understand there is work to be done and schedules may slip - it is however frustrating having no end in sight. I guess most readers of this thread want to support you, so please be a little transparent with us 🙂

You may tell your European team that they are holding up or possibly diverting Dell revenue, if that helps driving your point 🙂

Thanks for doing this!

0 Kudos
DELL-Barton Ge
3 Argentium

Hi Tomvest,

we are nailing down the exact dates for the Europe launch at this point.  We are in full swing getting things ready.

Thanks for the support!!

Barton George

0 Kudos
DELL-Barton Ge
3 Argentium

@aalotia,

I just sent an email (following up on Jared's) to our Euro team asking for a status.

stay tuned!

Barton George

0 Kudos