Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

May 19th, 2015 14:00

Upgrading to 3.19 kernel with Dell factory 14.04 image

In various other threads, myself and other community members have been working out how best to handle the 14.04 issues with the Dell XPS 13 (9343) (Early 2015).  I have tried a number of solutions, but ultimately have arrived to the conclusion that upgrading the 3.13 kernel to 3.19 via the testing LTS kernel repository is the best upgrade path thus far.

Disclaimer: This upgrade process as described in this post will cause wireless to stop working.  I believe this is a Broadcom driver problem.  Hopefully I can get some assistance with installing these drivers back from Dell ProSupport later today.

Update:
To fix the wireless issue, connect your computer to the internet either using a USB to ethernet adapter or use your phone as a mobile hotspot, then run `sudo apt-get update` and `sudo apt-get upgrade`.  This lengthy upgrade will restore wifi functionality.  (See response below)

This guide will fix:

• Touchpad glitchiness
  • Touchpad two-finger/click commands -- e.g. two figner drag, single finger right click will work.
  • Keyboard repeating keystrokes (I have had repeating keystrokes once thus far, so not totally fixed but they are very few and far between)
  • Graphics lag/choppiness

Steps:

1. Reset to Factory Defaults.

Here is a lsb_release -a and uname -a at factory defaults:

gshulegaard@ronin:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty
gshulegaard@ronin:~$ uname -a
Linux ronin 3.13.0-37-generic #64bdw1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Sep 25 14:01:25 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
gshulegaard@ronin:~$

2. Do an apt-get update/upgrade.

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade

3. There will be depency problems, so do a -f:

$ sudo apt-get -f install

At this point, your lsb_release and uname should have changed:

Description: Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
Linux ronin 3.13.0-37-generic #64bdw1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Sep 25 14:01:25 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

4. Add the kernel testing repository and install 3.19:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:canonical-kernel-team/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-generic-lts-vivid
sudo reboot
That's it, your lsb_release and uname should now look like:

Description: Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
Linux ronin 3.19.0-17-generic #17~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 7 11:05:22 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
The last thing for me to sort out is how to restore wireless functionality and I will update here as soon as that is sorted.

Update: After connecting to ethernet and doing an "apt-get update" and an "apt-get upgrade" I am happy to report that all is well. The machine works smoothly. I haven't had an issue with Suspend/Resume after doing an in place kernel upgrade, but it is the only issue that is outstanding as far as I can tell.

May 19th, 2015 15:00

I just came back to post an update about this, but I have restored WiFi functionality.

Indeed, the drivers were present under "Additional Drivers", but there must have been some dependency problems in the new (3.19) kernel that was freshly installed.

To fix Wireless problems:

1. Connect to internet somehow.  You can either connect an ethernet cable to a usb port using an adapter, or you can use your phone as a mobile hotspot.
  2. Do a apt-get update/upgrade.

That's it.  After an apt-get update/upgrade wireless functionality returns and all is well (as well as can be anyway).

17 Posts

May 19th, 2015 15:00

System Settings -> Software&Updates -> Additional Drivers

does not have the proprietary  WiFi drivers?

80 Posts

May 19th, 2015 16:00

Great news - looks like you don't need a full 15.04 install, just the 3.19 kernel (that comes with 15.04) will do the job.

The steps in part (4) came from me, and I'm not sure this the best or correct way to install the 3.19 kernel on an Ubuntu 14.04 system. Perhaps someone else can let us know whether it is, and if it's not, offer a better way to install it.

The risk is, if this is a development PPA, that a future upgrade might install an experimental version of the linux kernel. But if that happens, you can always boot to GRUB and select the 3.19 you had before.

80 Posts

May 19th, 2015 17:00

Thanks for collecting all this in one place. My new XPS-13 arrives on Thurs and I will try this. If it works, it will save me from having to wipe the entire disk and install 15.04 from scratch, which will be my plan B if this doesn't work.

Either way I'll post back to let everyone know.

May 19th, 2015 17:00

Great news - looks like you don't need a full 15.04 install, just the 3.19 kernel (that comes with 15.04) will do the job.

The steps in part (4) came from me, and I'm not sure this the best or correct way to install the 3.19 kernel on an Ubuntu 14.04 system. Perhaps someone else can let us know whether it is, and if it's not, offer a better way to install it.

The risk is, if this is a development PPA, that a future upgrade might install an experimental version of the linux kernel. But if that happens, you can always boot to GRUB and select the 3.19 you had before.

Indeed, how rude of me not to give credit where credit is due.  I apologize, I have just been rapidly trying to restore my system :-D

That said, MRC01's point is that the PPA that is added in this guide is the developmental/testing PPA for LTS kernel releases.  Typically, once a kernel is added to the LTS enablement stack, you will be able to install it using commands similar to this guide:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

Trouble is, we need the drivers from the 3.19 kernel now for the XPS 13, so we can't wait for the official release that is due around Septemeber of this year.  Perhaps someone could add to this guide steps for removing this workaround and installing the officially supported kernel so we can do so come September.

For now, this guide creates a stable Ubuntu experience with only occasional keystroke repeats.  It is stable enough that I believe I will keep the laptop in order to support the Sputnik effort.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

May 19th, 2015 19:00

DantesRequiem,

I apologize for this issues and want to thank you for your support!

May 20th, 2015 08:00

Hi!,

Just one question. It's mandatory to do a factory defaults?

Best Regards,
Javier

May 20th, 2015 11:00

No it is not.  Prior to trying this from a factory reset state, I had done it from my system after I had applied the Dell 14.04 backport fixes from this link:

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/os-applications/f/4613/t/19632338

Curiously, when running this after applying the above fixes, wireless will not stop functioning.  So it may be worth trying.

Bottom line, if you know what you are doing/understand what is going on (upgrading the kernel in place using the Beta enablement repository) then I see no reason for you to go back to a complete factory reset.  I would, however, do a quick backup of important files and things just in case.

9 Posts

May 20th, 2015 19:00

I just got the xps 13 developer edition from fedex this morning. After opening it up and trying to use it for all of ten seconds I was pretty disappointed. UNTIL...

This post came up in my search to try and improve the experience. Thank you. The 3.19 kernel from the testing feed fixed the touchpad issues I was having. Also the laptop seems a bit snappier. 

Cheers,

Happy XPS 13 owner

May 20th, 2015 23:00

I'm glad it worked for you!  The laptop seems snappier because the newer chipset drivers.  Specifically, the integrated graphics performs a lot smoother.

Just some quick points:

- Keystroke repeats are still a problem.  Although fairly infrequent.

- There have been reports of faulty resumes from suspend, although I have not yet run into them.

That's it, enjoy.

80 Posts

May 21st, 2015 09:00

NOTE: When running kernel 3.19, the version of Virtualbox in the Ubuntu repos (4.3.10) will not work. Oracle fixed the problem but it's only in the latest version on the virtualbox web site (4.3.28).

If you use Virtualbox, make sure you install it using downloads from from their web site, not from the repos (not from the Ubuntu Software Center).

Instructions here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

May 21st, 2015 15:00

@DantesRequiem, thanks for the explanation on the kernel upgrade (although a bit late for me, as I already had installed Ubuntu 15.04 with lvm encryption wiping the factory 14.04).

Is there any specific advantage (apart from having an LTS) on sticking with 14.04 on updated kernels over just doing a plain 15.04 installation? Don't get me wrong, I just can't find any comparison between both options and was missing a suggestion what would be the preferred way to go. Some Sputnik devs seem to opt for the latter, but I wonder if we did not lose any important Dell tweaks by wiping the factory installation.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

May 21st, 2015 17:00

Wiping the factory installation means you also wiped the "Dell Recovery" and "Dell Driver Installer" that were packaged with the factory image of Ubuntu.  Since most of these drivers are open-source/generally available or are in the kernel directly, there isn't too much you are losing.  Plus, the Dell factory image has some severe bugs (touchpad, keyboard, graphics choppiness, etc.) so losing the Recovery tools and partition isn't neccessarily that big a deal.

The only other difference will be the packages themselves.  Obviously 14.04 with the 3.19 kernel will still pull down the 14.04 LTS package archives and 15.04 will pull down the 15.04 package archives.  Whether or not this matters to you is sort of a case-by-case basis.  Personally, I like keeping my personal machines in-line with my server deployments, so I (personally) prefer to have 14.04.2 down.

But I don't think you are losing many (if any) "important" Dell tweaks at this point.  Furthermore, as the Sputnik team sorts out these issues, they may make these Dell applications availabe via a download on the Dell website, but who knows.

80 Posts

May 21st, 2015 19:00

I'm writing these words from my new XPS-13. The procedure above worked perfectly.

When I first turned it on, the touchpad was hanging every 5 seconds or so and the keyboard was throwing out all kinds of repeat characters. It took at least 3 tries to type a password. It was virtually unusable. I would have had to return it.

First I ran sudo-apt-get update/dist-upgrade repeatedly until it said there were no more updates to install. The first one failed, the -f install fixed it, then I kept going.

Next I ran sudo apt-get autoremove to ensure it was clean.

Next I ran the 3 commands above to install the 3.19 kernel.

Next I repeated the first 2 steps again until it was clean.

Done, and the difference is like night vs. day. MUCH better. Dell should have shipped this laptop like this, or with Ubuntu 15.04. It still has the occasional repeat key from the keyboard, but new keyboards are like that and it could just be me getting used to it.

22 Posts

May 23rd, 2015 06:00

I know it's more prof. to use the terminal but I prefer to use Synaptic package manager when it's possible. And kernel 3.19.8 are to be found in Synaptic, so why not choose the following 4 files:

1. linux-headers-3.19.0-18-14.04.01

2. linux-headers-3.19.0-18-14.04.01-generic amd64

3. linux-image-3.19.0-18-14.04.01-generic amd64

4. linux-signed-image-3.19.0-18-14.04.01

and install them by using Synaptic?

No Events found!