DantesRequiem
2 Bronze

RE: Upgrading to 3.19 kernel with Dell factory 14.04 image

I'm glad it worked for you!  The laptop seems snappier because the newer chipset drivers.  Specifically, the integrated graphics performs a lot smoother.

Just some quick points:

- Keystroke repeats are still a problem.  Although fairly infrequent.

- There have been reports of faulty resumes from suspend, although I have not yet run into them.

That's it, enjoy.

0 Kudos
MRC01
2 Bronze

NOTE: When running kernel 3.19, the version of Virtualbox in the Ubuntu repos (4.3.10) will not work. Oracle fixed the problem but it's only in the latest version on the virtualbox web site (4.3.28).

If you use Virtualbox, make sure you install it using downloads from from their web site, not from the repos (not from the Ubuntu Software Center).

Instructions here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

0 Kudos
macghriogair
1 Copper

@DantesRequiem, thanks for the explanation on the kernel upgrade (although a bit late for me, as I already had installed Ubuntu 15.04 with lvm encryption wiping the factory 14.04).

Is there any specific advantage (apart from having an LTS) on sticking with 14.04 on updated kernels over just doing a plain 15.04 installation? Don't get me wrong, I just can't find any comparison between both options and was missing a suggestion what would be the preferred way to go. Some Sputnik devs seem to opt for the latter, but I wonder if we did not lose any important Dell tweaks by wiping the factory installation.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
DantesRequiem
2 Bronze

Wiping the factory installation means you also wiped the "Dell Recovery" and "Dell Driver Installer" that were packaged with the factory image of Ubuntu.  Since most of these drivers are open-source/generally available or are in the kernel directly, there isn't too much you are losing.  Plus, the Dell factory image has some severe bugs (touchpad, keyboard, graphics choppiness, etc.) so losing the Recovery tools and partition isn't neccessarily that big a deal.

The only other difference will be the packages themselves.  Obviously 14.04 with the 3.19 kernel will still pull down the 14.04 LTS package archives and 15.04 will pull down the 15.04 package archives.  Whether or not this matters to you is sort of a case-by-case basis.  Personally, I like keeping my personal machines in-line with my server deployments, so I (personally) prefer to have 14.04.2 down.

But I don't think you are losing many (if any) "important" Dell tweaks at this point.  Furthermore, as the Sputnik team sorts out these issues, they may make these Dell applications availabe via a download on the Dell website, but who knows.

MRC01
2 Bronze

I'm writing these words from my new XPS-13. The procedure above worked perfectly.

When I first turned it on, the touchpad was hanging every 5 seconds or so and the keyboard was throwing out all kinds of repeat characters. It took at least 3 tries to type a password. It was virtually unusable. I would have had to return it.

First I ran sudo-apt-get update/dist-upgrade repeatedly until it said there were no more updates to install. The first one failed, the -f install fixed it, then I kept going.

Next I ran sudo apt-get autoremove to ensure it was clean.

Next I ran the 3 commands above to install the 3.19 kernel.

Next I repeated the first 2 steps again until it was clean.

Done, and the difference is like night vs. day. MUCH better. Dell should have shipped this laptop like this, or with Ubuntu 15.04. It still has the occasional repeat key from the keyboard, but new keyboards are like that and it could just be me getting used to it.

Gert J
1 Nickel

I know it's more prof. to use the terminal but I prefer to use Synaptic package manager when it's possible. And kernel 3.19.8 are to be found in Synaptic, so why not choose the following 4 files:

1. linux-headers-3.19.0-18-14.04.01

2. linux-headers-3.19.0-18-14.04.01-generic amd64

3. linux-image-3.19.0-18-14.04.01-generic amd64

4. linux-signed-image-3.19.0-18-14.04.01

and install them by using Synaptic?

0 Kudos
DantesRequiem
2 Bronze

Sorry for the delayed response, this response got lost in my e-mail box.

I am surprised that you can see those packages in Synaptic without first adding the testing ppa.  It is my understanding that the 3.19 enablement kernel is in testing/beta and is due for official release/support by Canonical (for 14.04.3) sometime in September.

That said, if you can see them, then I don't see any reason why you couldn't use Synaptic package manger to handle the installation rather than my apt-get approach.

0 Kudos
eousphoros
1 Copper

root@flatish  ~/  lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
Release:    14.04
Codename:    trusty
  root@flatish  ~/  uname -a
Linux flatish 4.1.0-040100rc5-generic #201505250235 SMP Mon May 25 02:37:02 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Working amazing so far. Only hiccup was the a few lines of code in the broadcom driver which was pretty easy to fix up.

0 Kudos
Gert J
1 Nickel

Thanks - nice to know.

I can find the files on both my Linux Pc's, so I pretty sure I haven't added the testing ppa.

Gert

Now I have updated to kernel 3.19 by using Synaptic and every thing is working just fine - even the Wifi functioned right away. By this update the XPS13 DE is really a fine PC. 

0 Kudos
DantesRequiem
2 Bronze

Another thing to do would be to upgrade your BIOS to A04, which will resolve the keyboard key repeat issues (at least it did for me).

The last outstanding issue that I know about is kernel panic (blinking CAPS LOCK) and/or sluggish performance when resuming from Suspend.  I have read elsewhere that this may be an Intel chipset problem though as it has been affecting other machines with the new Intel Broadwell chips.  Although, I have yet to see a kernel panic since I upgraded my BIOS to A04, so here is to keeping my fingers crossed that the new BIOS fixed this problem.

But I agree, the XPS 13 DE (9343) is really beautiful now that everything is working smoothly.  The battery life and 4K screen really make this machine for me.

0 Kudos