deegc
Not applicable

When will 16GB RAM be available?

Memory is the only thing keeping me from upgrading to a Sputnik.

62 Replies

Re: When will 16GB RAM be available?

We are investigating creating 16GB version, stay tuned.

Barton George

SeanBlader
2 Iron

I'd say 16gb is a battery killer. Really with Linux unless you're running multiple VM's at once there's no good reason for more than 4gb. I never go over 2 gigs unless I'm running the Windows 7 VM, and that's with tomcat on one port, nginx on another, sublime, firefox, gimp, chrome, node all running at once. Not to rain on your parade @deegc, but you should definitely look into if you're actually using that much memory and if battery life is really that unimportant to you.

0 Kudos
deegc
Not applicable

You can't imagine any valid reason a developer would want more than 8 GB of RAM?  I want to live in that world! =P

More seriously, I could live with 8GB for now (my current system has 8GB) but the RAM can't be upgraded on the  XPS once it's purchased.  Since I hope to use this computer for a few years I want to plan for the future when 8GB might not be enough.

This will be a work computer and it'll be plugged in most of the time so battery life isn't the most important attribute.

lkraav
2 Iron

Definitely +1 on the 16GB request and following this one

puroturo
Not applicable

Any updates on this?  I'd like to order a few and would do so today, but with the VM Development work we do, we'd need more than 8GB of RAM.

Hi @puroturo,

We are still in the evaluation phase.

thanks

Barton George

puroturo
Not applicable

Thank you for responding, @Barton.  It is much appreciated.

I guess it's safe to assume that if you're still in the evaluation phase, that upper management approval, manufacturing and similar would still push this out to a considerable time table before it's publicly available.  Is there any time-frame that we can expect?

0 Kudos
giacecco
Not applicable

RE: When will 16GB RAM be available?

+1 if you are a data analyst you often need to load in memory large volumes of data, e.g. using the R language. Today the MacBook Pro is my only option but I want to go back to Linux.

smiff10
Not applicable

RE: When will 16GB RAM be available?

Hi,

How's the evaluation looking for 16GB option on the XPS 13 (or does no news = not going to happen?!)

Thanks

0 Kudos