tranceash
1 Copper

Where are the WD15 drivers on your support page for linux

How do I get the WD15 dock working with the precision 5510 to output 2 displays. I can't understand why you guys sell products that do not work with linux or do not provide driver links in your support pages for docks.

17 Replies
Not applicable

RE: Where are the WD15 drivers on your support page for linux

Does a single display work for you?

Dell lists WD15 as supported under Linux:

www.dell.com/.../SLN301105

0 Kudos
tranceash
1 Copper

No. This dock sits as a paperweight and I have to use an adapter (www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1208733-REG/j5create_jca140_usb_type_c_to_4k.html) to get output and then I am planning to get another adapter to get more outputs natively using DisplayPort 1.2 Multi Stream Video Output (www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Triple-DisplayPort-Multi-Monitor/dp/B00JLRBB8I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460523520&sr=8-1&keywords=startech+displayport+MST+hub)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
pwopwo
1 Copper

I can confirm that with the XPS 15 9550 FHD combined with the WD-15, I have two 1920x1080 monitors working via HDMI and VGA in addition to the FHD working with Ubuntu 16.04 and Kernel 4.6 from Ubuntu mainline. Ethernet, USB, and Charging also work. Audio does not work. All of the above "just worked" by hotplugging the dock into the laptop.

Not applicable

it works for me to with the kernel:

4.5.4-1-ARCH

DP/eth/power. For me also no audio yet.

I did not try debugging yet to get audio working.

pwopwo
1 Copper

Audio started working for me with Ubuntu 16.04/ Kernel 4.6. I discovered a device in pavucontrol called "USB Audio Analog Stereo" which works out of the headphone jack from the front of the dock, this port also supports mic. The audio jack at the back of the dock does not work.

pydsigner
1 Copper

For anyone else reading this thread I'd like to point out something that I couldn't find any information on: the WD15 does support dual 1920x1200 screens. I did have trouble trying to daisy chain with the DP connector, though mirroring worked, so I switched to using both the DP and HDMI.

ast3rik
1 Copper

Got the WD15 working on debian 8 and alienware 17R3.

Installed kernel 4.5.0-2 and it did not work. It detected eth and USB ports but the display did not work until I've disconnected and reconnected usb cable. After that picture appeared but the mDP monitor was flickering. One reboot solved it all. Audio is also working.

Now for some more testing - cold boot and so on.

iv597
1 Copper

Not sure if this is a problem with my dock or with the OS, but after being plugged for 1-5 minutes, my USB keyboard will totally drop. A replug works for about 10-30sec before dropping again. Audio doesn't work at all through the dock - Alsa detects that it exists, and pulseaudio swears it was trying to play audio through it, but I hear nothing and can't control the mixer through alsamixer.

Arch Linux, kernel 4.6.1-2-ARCH, Dell XPS 13 9350 FHD/8GB model. Dmesg below. Note that I *did* flash the latest WD15 firmware from Windows this morning; the issues persist.

[ 2332.826721] hid-generic 0003:1E54:2030.0010: input,hiddev0,hidraw2: USB HID v1.10 Device [TypeMatrix.com USB Keyboard] on usb-0000:05:00.0-1.3/input1
[ 2344.545978] usb 3-1.3: reset low-speed USB device number 9 using xhci_hcd
[ 2346.369033] usb 3-1.3: reset low-speed USB device number 9 using xhci_hcd
0 Kudos
iv597
1 Copper

I can confirm the above issue is either OS (Kernel) or the XPS device hardware itself, because the HP Elite USB-C Dock does the same set of shenanigans (on top of being a simply inferior dock).

0 Kudos