Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2016 12:00

Wifi not working Precision 5510 ubuntu

I just received my precision 5510 with Ubuntu and am disappointed that the wifi will not connect to either of the access points in my home.  The machine is fresh out of the box with no updates,  I thought I had read that this was working with this system.  I will supply any logs or run any tests to get this figured out.  Since I believe this is supposed to be supported from the factory I am holding off from adding any package repos and installing/updating any packages until I can do some additional debugging.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

March 8th, 2016 13:00

@DJIBI2,

We are working on a factory fix for this but you can address it by following the instructions here http://www.dell.com/support/article/SLN301251 

Also you will want to run your updates 

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

sorry for the hassle

19 Posts

March 8th, 2016 14:00

Sorry but that didn't work for me.  I've done some more searching and see that historically there have been issues with this driver in Ubuntu, not just on the Dell platform.  I have tried some of the other suggestions from various forums, such as turning off 802.11n functionality, but still can't get connected.

Here is some wifi info from my syslog:

wpa_supplicant[1109]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-SSID-TEMP-DISABLED id=0 ssid="LIVING ROOM" auth_failures=1 duration=10
NetworkManager[984]: (wlan0): supplicant interface state: authenticating -> disconnected
NetworkManager[984]: (wlan0): supplicant interface state: disconnected -> scanning
NetworkManager[984]: Activation (wlan0/wireless): association took too long, failing activation.
NetworkManager[984]: (wlan0): device state change: config -> failed (reason 'SSID not found') [50 120 53]
NetworkManager[984]: Activation (wlan0) failed for connection 'LIVING ROOM'
NetworkManager[984]: (wlan0): supplicant interface state: scanning -> disconnected
NetworkManager[984]: (wlan0): device state change: failed -> disconnected (reason 'none') [120 30 0]
NetworkManager[984]: (wlan0): deactivating device (reason 'none') [0]
wpa_supplicant[1109]: wlan0: Reject scan trigger since one is already pending

I also did the updates using the preconfigured repos.  Would it be worth adding some an ubuntu-mirror repo to allow in updates from Ubuntu?

19 Posts

March 8th, 2016 16:00

Some additional info:  it isn't a hardware issue.

I booted using live images of Xenial and Wily and the  wifi worked fine.  Now I just need to figure out what to do going forward.

19 Posts

March 9th, 2016 08:00

Since it seems possible that other may have this issue out of the box, and I asssume that wifi is supposed to work out of the box, I'm doing my best to figure this out without installing any software from additional repos.  To that end of run a script (which can be found here  https://github.com/UbuntuForums/wireless-info)

to list my netwworking details, the results are attached.

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/4613/wireless_2D00_info.txt:550:0]

19 Posts

March 9th, 2016 11:00

I discovered today that there were a ton of additional updates available (from the official repos enabled from the factory), after installing them all the wifi still is not working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.   For the laptop to be useful, I really need wireless networking.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

March 9th, 2016 11:00

@DJIBI2

Not sure you saw my response earlier but here are instructions to address the wireless issue  http://www.dell.com/support/article/SLN301251  (we are currently working on a factory fix).

thanks for your support!

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

March 9th, 2016 12:00

@DIJIB2,

I missed your response to my response :)  Let me fwd it to our support folks.  Stay tuned.

19 Posts

March 9th, 2016 12:00

Thanks.

I've attached an updated wireless info file which documents that status after the updates:

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/4613/wireless_2D00_info.14.04.tar.gz:550:0]

19 Posts

March 10th, 2016 09:00

Here is some additional information.  I booted the system from a live 14.04-desktop image and the wifi is working.  I captured the wireless info using the same script and have attached it here.

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/4613/wireless_2D00_info.14.04_2D00_live_2D00_working.txt:550:0]

19 Posts

March 10th, 2016 21:00

Since the live 14.04 live version had a working wifi and it was running at 4.2 kernel I tried installing the lts enablement route.  But during the installation I could see that of the dkms drivers are locked to a 3.19 kernel version. So at this point I am wondering if I should try one of the system restore or setup options, but this time skip the wifi configuration until after the oobe portion is complete.  Any thoughts?

Does anyone else have this issue with the factory installed Ubuntu on the precision 5510?

76 Posts

March 10th, 2016 22:00

One trick you all may wish to try.  Last week I had some serious problems finding a working combo of Ubuntu vs Kubuntu vs a problematic video card on my (desktop) home computer (It eventually turned out the video card had gone bad).  Finding the solution was much simplified by installing a new SSD card so I could do a clean install of many versions of both OS types until the problem was diagnosed.

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier.  New 240GB SSD's that are compatible with the 5510 can be had for only $65 here:   http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/precision-5510/CT8033003

Buy one, put it into the laptop, and try a clean install of Ubuntu 14.04, 15.10, or anything else you like.  If it work, great; if not, you haven't destroyed the OEM Ubuntu install on the original SSD.

Alan

19 Posts

March 11th, 2016 15:00

Since you indicated that this might be an OOBE issue, and decided to run the Dell Recovery tool. This time during the initial boot I DID NOT connect to the wifi during the setup procedure. Unfortunately this did not make a difference. I can not get any wifi connections with this laptop, before or after installing all of the updates.

One thing I noticed when the system running update-initramfs is warns:

W: Possible missing firmware /lib/fimware/iwlwifi-3160-IWL3160_UCOD_API_OK.ucode for module iwlwifi

W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-8000-12.ucode for module iwlwifi.

I realize this may be a harmless warning, but since this is the driver in question it makes me wonder.

Also here is a section of the syslog file during a failed connection attempt.

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/4613/syslog_5F00_wifi_5F00_session.txt:550:0]

26 Posts

March 17th, 2016 15:00

When the wireless network connection failure happens, can you try connecting a second time to the network?

Also, can you post the versions of:

wifi-intel8260-fimware

linux-firmware

bt-intel8260-firmware

btus-iwlwifi-intel8260

That combination of packages provides all the wifi / bt drivers on 14.04 for the 8260.  The latest versions should have come with the repositories preloaded on the machine for you but we can double check the versions are correct then.

19 Posts

March 17th, 2016 16:00

I did not have any success by trying multiple times.  

I did finally get it to connect by running:

sudo rmmod iwlmvm iwlwifi && sudo modprobe iwlmvm iwlwifi

I've pasted the version information for the drivers you requested, however the last one is the dkms version of the package,

Driver

version source

wifi-intel8260-fimware:

1.2 /var/lib/dpkg/status (factory install)

linux-firmware

1.127.20 us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu trusty-updates/main

bt-intel8260-firmware

1.1 dell.archive.canonical.com/updates trusty-dell-biz-vivid-skl/public 
btusb-iwlwifi-intel8260-dkms 1.6 /var/lib/dpkg/status (factory install)

1 Message

March 22nd, 2016 17:00

If this helps at all, I had the exact same problem with my XPS 13, although while it could not connect to my home wifi, it could connect to my Nexus 6 running a hotspot. After doing the above rmmod and modprobe, my wifi worked for my home router. Versions/Model of everything:

Phone: Nexus 6

Phone OS: Android 6.0.1

Laptop: XPS 13 9350 developer edition (1550ish dollar version)

Router: Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2

Router OS: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/25/13) std - build 21061

wifi-intel8260-firmware: 1.2

linux-firmware: 1.127.15somerville1

bt-intel8260-firmware: 1.1

btusb-iwlwifi-intel8260-dkms: 1.6

I used "apt-cache show -v " to get the above info if it matters

Also, while writing this post, the wifi cut out again. I ran (to experiement):

sudo rmmod iwlmvm && sudo modprobe iwlmvm

and that allowed my wifi to work again.

No Events found!