Christophe14
2 Bronze

Re: XPS 13 9370 Ubuntu full disk encryption

Hi,

I fully agree, this is a major issue that has to be fixed.
Anyway, installing standard Ubuntu 18.04.1 is not an acceptable solution as we don't get the Dell specific updates/fixes for XPS 13 9370.

How can we progress on this ?

Shall we post a bug report in https://launchpad.net/dell-sputnik ?

Thanking you in advance.

0 Kudos
Christoph123
1 Nickel

@Christophe14 Yeah, it seems posting a bug there is a good idea, it certainly seems more likely that we'll get some feedback than here Smiley Happy If you have the time please do so, otherwise I'll try to do it over the weekend. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Christophe14
2 Bronze

Hi,

A bug report "XPS 13 9370 full disk encryption not working on Dell Recovery Media" has been created at https://bugs.launchpad.net/dell-sputnik/+bug/1801598.

Hoping Dell will support us.

Kind regards,

Christophe

0 Kudos
dell-mario l
1 Nickel

Hi all,

This was brought to my attention today and I took a few moments to try to debug what's going on.  I believe it's because of an issue in detecting LVM in dell-recovery's post ubiquity command.

This commit to dell-recovery should fix it.

https://github.com/dell/dell-recovery/commit/04cd77ca904f13bbac145366377af6c7975f9837

To test it you of course will need to modify your USB disk image.  I've tagged a new dell-recovery release and you should be able to include it in your USB disk image.

You can download the .deb file from: https://github.com/dell/dell-recovery/releases/download/1.60/dell-recovery_1.60_all.deb

And save it on your USB recovery disk in the directory debs/main.

Then perform your installation again and I believe it should fix the problem.

Longer term we'll have to respin factory images to get this type of fix included in the factory but it should help anyone in the interim.

0 Kudos
Christoph123
1 Nickel

Cool, thanks for filing the bug report @Christophe14, and thanks for fix and instructions @dell-mario l - I will try it out in the next days an will give feedback whether it worked.

0 Kudos
Christophe14
2 Bronze

Hi Mario,

Thank you for your investigations !

Did I understand correctly that we need to copy a new file "dell-recovery_1.60_all.deb" in debs/main located in USB recovery disk ? No previous version of this file is present.
If so, sorry for the basic question but how can I copy the file "dell-recovery_1.60_all.deb" into a read only USB key ?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Christophe

0 Kudos
dell-mario l
1 Nickel

@Christophe14

The previous version is built into the squashfs in the image.  Adding it into that directory will treat it like a patch and will cause it to get installed into the image.

The USB key is read only?  It was written using which tool?  The USB creator on ubuntu?

If that's the case that it's read only that will make this a little more difficult.

1. Make sure you have a copy of  the ISO image somewhere.  If not, then copy all the contents from the USB key to a folder.

2. Format the USB key FAT32 using your favorite tool.

3. Copy all the contents either from within the ISO image or from the folder you made back to the USB key.

4. Add the dell-recovery deb file into that directory debs/main on the USB key.

0 Kudos
Christophe14
2 Bronze

Hi Mario,

It is more complicated than expected (at least for me).

The USB key was written using Ubuntu Disk.
In fact, it contains two partitions:
- partition 1 is ISO 9660
- partition 2 is EFI FAT

That's why, I can't write any file on partition 1. ISO 9660 is read-only.
It seems not possible to convert ISO 9660 with write permission.

I also cannot format in FAT 32 format due to the table partition (under Ubuntu or Windows).
Anyway, the EFI partition is required to boot the USB key. So, I cannot delete also EFI partition.

As a consequence, I am not in position to write files and test the fix proposed :-(

Have you made a trial ?
Could you propose an ISO file with fix included ?

Thanks.

Kind regards

Christophe

0 Kudos
dell-mario l
1 Nickel

@Christophe14

I suppose Ubuntu's disk creator switched to writing out ISO9660 in the last version.  It used to write out FAT32.  Both work from the perspective of how it gets installed but it's much more difficult to update the image in this case.

Did you try adjusting partition table using GParted?  You should have been able to from there.

If you can't get your USB disk formatted, there is a very convoluted set of instructions I'll offer.

1. Reinstall with creation of recovery partition.

2. Go through regular setup process.

3. Download and install dell-recovery deb.

4. Re-do creation of ISO image and write to disk again.

Dell Recovery has a self patching feature where if the version installed when running dell-recovery is newer than the one on the recovery partition it will inject itself into the new ISO image.

0 Kudos
dell-mario l
1 Nickel

Forgot to answer these.

> Have you made a trial ?

Yes, i've seen that this fix will resolve the encryption issue.

> Could you propose an ISO file with fix included ?

It will take a while for recovery images from support.dell.com to be regenerated, re-promoted etc. containing this fix.

0 Kudos