Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

March 2nd, 2018 16:00

XPS 13 9370 no bluetooth after suspend

I got a new XPS 13 a couple of days ago. Everything works great with Ubuntu *except* for bluetooth. After a suspend, the bluetooth is lost and doesn't come back. I tried to remove and install the bluetooth driver with `modprobe -r btusb; modprobe btusb` and to restart the bluetooth service but neither things worked. I also reinstalled from factory defaults (just in case) and the problem persists.

12 Posts

September 9th, 2018 13:00

It doesn't fix it. I've upgraded and it's still there. I got an update from Dell early last week saying the firmware patch was still being tested. No ETA.

1 Message

September 19th, 2018 01:00

Hey guys,

I'm on Fedora 28, Kernel 4.18.7 on a XPS 9370, and I got the latest BIOS version 1.5.1.

Sadly I'm also able to confirm that the bug still exists, it is extremely annoying since everytime I want to use bluetooth after waking my  XPS it does not work :(

12 Posts

October 1st, 2018 11:00

Okay - I have good news and bad news. The good news is I have a working fix. The bad news is that it requires upgrading to at least a 4.16 kernel - so if you're on a stock bionic or earlier kernel then it's no joy.

Steps to fix:

1. Create a kernel module configuration file - I've used:

/etc/modprobe.d/disable_autosuspend.conf

2. Populate the file with:

options btusb enable_autosuspend=n

3. Reboot.

Problem fixed (for me anyway). Sadly the enable_autosuspend feature requires a 4.16 or later kernel. Hope that helps someone else.

If anyone's curious - I followed along with this bug report - https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=199351

October 1st, 2018 22:00

Hi All, This is a seemingly intractable problem that has been around for months if not years, across several platforms. While I believe the driver/firmware package that was tested and ships with the Dell Developer Edition systems works, as soon as an update to the kernel, the distro or the driver/firmware package occurs, it screws up the resume behavior of the BT driver on this chipset. This seems to be a multifactorial issue, which is why it's been so difficult to track down to a single cause. We're working on it, and we have been for some time. I'll update this thread as soon as we have any solid information regarding a fix. In the meantime, I'm asking help from the community to submit as much information as possible via the normal open-source bug-reporting channels. Particularly, what revisions experience the bug, and from where the update originated. Many Thanks, GeoffD #iworkatdell

8 Posts

October 2nd, 2018 06:00

@jamtur01 wrote:

Okay - I have good news and bad news. The good news is I have a working fix. The bad news is that it requires upgrading to at least a 4.16 kernel - so if you're on a stock bionic or earlier kernel then it's no joy.

Steps to fix:

1. Create a kernel module configuration file - I've used:

/etc/modprobe.d/disable_autosuspend.conf

2. Populate the file with:

options btusb enable_autosuspend=n

3. Reboot.

Problem fixed (for me anyway). Sadly the enable_autosuspend feature requires a 4.16 or later kernel. Hope that helps someone else.

If anyone's curious - I followed along with this bug report - https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=199351

Running ubuntu 18.04 with Kernel 4.18.1. It does not work for me, it still gets disabled after suspending.

39 Posts

October 5th, 2018 06:00

@Thomas0 wrote:

I recently bought a 9370 developer edition. My bluetooth has been experiencing the same issues as reported here. How can I work with dell to help them fix this issue?

As pointed out by a Dell employee 3 posts above there is no fix, yet but they are apparently aware of the issue. You have to wait I'm afraid and follow this thread. Also have a look at the this bugreport at launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/dell-sputnik/+bug/1766825

1 Message

October 5th, 2018 06:00

I recently bought a 9370 developer edition. My bluetooth has been experiencing the same issues as reported here. How can I work with dell to help them fix this issue?

6 Posts

October 5th, 2018 07:00

If you disable bluetooth before suspending, the problem does not happen. I'm looking into a script to automatically disable bluetooth before suspending and re-enabling it at resume. This should cover the problem if we can get it to work.

39 Posts

October 5th, 2018 08:00

https://github.com/hyphone/xps-9370-linux

have a look at the files etc/systemd/system/bluetooth* and usr/sbin/bluetooth*

those should be enough for disabling on suspend and re-enabling it afterwards.

copy them to the corresponding folders in your root directory, make the usr/sbin ones executable and enable the corresponding systemd services.

6 Posts

October 5th, 2018 08:00

I love you

39 Posts

October 5th, 2018 09:00

but with no guaranty. If it doesn't work I'll post it here and update the git repo accordingly.

39 Posts

October 5th, 2018 11:00

Nope disabling bluetooth before suspending does also not work. I wait for a real fix before I focus my attention on false assumptions again.

33 Posts

October 9th, 2018 04:00

I generally have pretty good luck with BT following suspend/resume. Yesterday BT simply did not come up following a reboot. I performed a complete power cycle and BT worked again.

I'm running Debian Stretch with WiFi firmware downloaded from the Killer github account a couple weeks ago. It works most of the time but is not 100% reliable. 

10 Posts

October 16th, 2018 22:00

Same with my xps (ubuntu 18.10).  Pretty annoying thing.

I disabled autosuspend in tlp. Will watch how it helps

39 Posts

October 16th, 2018 23:00

@kao_kz wrote:

Same with my xps (ubuntu 18.10).  Pretty annoying thing.

I disabled autosuspend in tlp. Will watch how it helps

Don't hold your breath and wait for a fix confirmation. Every possible switch / hack / fiddle was done already and nothing helps.

No Events found!