Highlighted
2 Bronze

XPS 13 / Ubuntu 15.04 Freezes with Caps Lock Blnking

I have an XPS 13 (2015) Developer's Edition.  The initial Ubuntu 14.04 install from Dell suffered all kinds of issues with the trackpad and with Wifi.  Dell recommended upgrading to Ubuntu 15.04 which I did.  The trackpad and wifi function much better under 15.04 however, I started getting random system freezes where everything hangs and the caps lock continuously blinks.    

After many weeks of trial and error, I finally found kernel 3.19.0-16 works well.  Today after an upgrade to kernel version 3.19.0.18, the freezes with Caps Lock blinking.  One final data point is that even with the 3.19.0-16 kernel, the system freezes with blinking caps lock when the command "sudo reboot" is issued.

Can anyone offer any insight as to the source of the issue here.

Thank you,

BP

0 Kudos
57 Replies
Highlighted
3 Silver

RE: XPS 13 / Ubuntu 15.04 Freezes with Caps Lock Blnking

My XPS-13 does the same thing. I've had it for about 24 hours now and it's done this about 3 times. Complete system hang, with caps lock light blinking. Totally unresponsive - can't use ctrl-alt-Fn to go to a different terminal, nothing. The only thing to do is hold down the power button for several seconds to force a shutdown, then reboot it.

Dunno why it's doing this, but it is frustrating. I run Linux to get away from this kind of system crashes.

My system is  Ubuntu 14.04 with kernel 3.19. Even on this kernel the keyboard still occasionally repeats keys. The trackpad & keyboard are better than 3.13, but far from perfect.

After using this laptop extensively for the past 24 hours I suspect these hangs are related to the touchpad. These hangs happen only when I'm using the touchpad - they have not happened while I'm connected to my big monitor & external keyboard & mouse.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Is there an update on this issue or a known work around? I saw someone mention changing to hibernate on lid close instead of sleep, but was unable to figure out how to do that. Tweak tool didn't have the option, or I couldn't find it. Currently running 15.04 on a XPS13 2015 with A03 BIOS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Same problem here (XPS 13 DE, BIOS A.03). I wanted to upgrade from 14.04 to 15.04 via 14.10 and during dist-upgrade I got a message that the system couldn't install the newer Kernel version and a little bit later in the process I received the message that my system now might be in a corrupted state and that a rollback of dist-upgrade is now conducted. After that I rebooted only to get a blinking Caps-Lock key and a dark screen. After some reboots the Grub menu was shown and I could select (under 'Advanced options for Ubuntu') the hitherto 3.13.0.53 Kernel which initially came with 14.04. With this selection I was at least able to boot into Ubuntu again.

My original plan was to freshly install 15.04 via a USB pendrive (15.04 64bit ISO downloaded and installed on pendrive via startup disk creator) but shortly after booting from this pendrive I received and "Installation failed" window with the message: "The installation encountered an unrecoverable error. A desktop session will now be run so that you may investigate the problem."

However, the desktop session never showed up but instead I received a blank screen. So how do I install 15.04? I'm not getting it all. Installed Ubuntu any many machines in recent time and I never encountered these problems.

I'm feeling so disappointed right now ... 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Mine has had no problems with suspend & wake. Correction: I am seeing it with suspend.

This complete system hang happens intermittently, mainly under 2 conditions:

1. Changing / selecting wireless. Sometimes when I change from one wireless to another by selecting it on the notification bar, the entire system hangs.

2. Suspending or waking from suspend. The hang can happen in either case.

In both cases, it happens intermittently - not every time, but frequently - about 25% of the time.

Itt's a hard hang - Ctrl-Alt-F1 etc. does not bring up terminals. The only option is to force shut down with the power key.

My system is Ubuntu 14.04 with kernel 3.19.0-18

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I am seeing most of my problems associated with logging out of X and not so much wireless or trackpad.  Hangs are 100% recreated by doing a sudo reboot and can be often created by logging out of X.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Bionicman303 - Follow online instructions on how to create a bootable Ubuntu/Kubunutu/Xubuntu 15.04 USB live disk.  Boot to it and select install option and follow the process.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

BTW - Where is Dell on these issues?  Why doesn't Dell respond and resolve an issue that seems to be common to all  XPS 13 DEs sold.

The silence is disheartening!!!

Highlighted
2 Iron

Having this issue as well. It seems to happen when the laptop is asleep too. I had put it to sleep and put it in my bag, but sometime over the next hour it woke up in my bag. When I took it out it was blazing hot and had a blank screen and blinking caps lock key. 

Highlighted
1 Copper

I'm on 15.04 and kernel 3.19.0-15 after much customizing and no real problems ... except for this issue (Caps lock blinking -- kernel panic).

It occurs occasionally when waking from sleep (perhaps 10%), and more frequently when changing to a different WiFi SSID.

I usually install TLP power management on Ubuntu laptops by default.  Removing TLP made the kernel panic issue A LOT better -- I was getting it 2 or 3 times a day while it was installed. Even after removing TLP, I still have the occasional freeze with blinking caps, screen on, laptop running hot with fan.

There is a way to reboot from a kernel panic on Linux without shutting down, and it works sometimes (but not always) on my XPS 13:

Alt-PrtScr-R-E-I-S-U-B

Hold all of these keys in order, and press them slowly, and the computer should do a soft reboot.

More info here.

Hopefully Dell will address this issue soon!

JR

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I have the same Issue with Ubuntu 14.04 an Kernel 3.19

I got the Problem most time when I put the xps to sleep.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have had the same issue too, in 15.04, kernel 3.19, bios A3. 

It has happened coming back from sleep and switching wifi networks.

Would be nice to hear from dell to see that they are at least aware of the issue..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

CAPS LOCK blinking is an indicator that the Linux kernel has entered "panicked" mode.  I have read elsewhere that there seems to be a problem with the latest Intel chipset drivers that have been causing kernel panics on other people's systems as well.  I can't be sure that this is the same root cause, but it makes sense.

Also, has anyone run into a kernel panic after upgrading to the A04 BIOS that was just released?

I have not experienced a kernel panic since my BIOS upgrade, but I didn't run into them that often before either...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

<< Also, has anyone run into a kernel panic after upgrading to the A04 BIOS that was just released? >>

YES

After updating to BIOS A04 I have gotten the kernel panic when selecting a different wifi connection.

Since A04, I have not gotten it (kernel panic) on suspend or wake.

Since A04, I still get key repeats just like on A03. Not a lot, but often enough to be annoying.

Since A04, bluetooth still doesn't work after waking from suspend. I've tried turning it off and back on (from the GUI and from RFkill) doesn't fix it. Once suspended, Bluetooth doesn't work again until rebooted.

Since A04, I still get very occasional/infrequent trackpad jumping, just like on A03. Less frequent than keyboard dups, not really bad at all.

Since A04, the CPU is occasionally stuck in slow (500 MHz) mode after waking from sleep, but not every time. Easy to fix - plug in power for a moment.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

<< Since A04, I still get key repeats just like on A03. Not a lot, but often enough to be annoying. >>

Interesting, I don't get key repeats at all on A04..and if I recall correctly, your set up and mine are pretty close.

<< Since A04, bluetooth still doesn't work after waking from suspend. I've tried turning it off and back on (from the GUI and from RFkill) doesn't fix it. Once suspended, Bluetooth doesn't work again until rebooted. >>

I haven't been using bluetooth at all, so I don't know what the relative working state is.  I will have to keep an eye out for this in the future.

<< Since A04, I still get very occasional/infrequent trackpad jumping, just like on A03. Less frequent than keyboard dups, not really bad at all. >>

I had this after upgrading the BIOS as well.  If you download and apply the .deb backports that dell released for the 3.13 kernel (stickied at the top of this forum), it resolved the trackpad issues for me again.

<< Since A04, the CPU is occasionally stuck in slow (500 MHz) mode after waking from sleep, but not every time. Easy to fix - plug in power for a moment. >>

I haven't run into this myself yet, but I have heard that if you plug into power, it locks the CPU into max clock rate rather than restoring Intel Speed Step functionality.  Is this the case for you?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Still having kernel panics here. I am starting to think its related to some X applications. If I close everything, and put the XPS to sleep, it does not panic. It can be asleep for hours and wake up perfectly. If I suspend the XPS with applications running, it very often kernel panics (blinking CAPS) immediately after I close the lid.I initially thought it was Chrome, but its panicing with other applications open as well (FireFox, Evolution)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

CAPS LOCK blinking is an indicator that the Linux kernel has entered "panicked" mode.  I have read elsewhere that there seems to be a problem with the latest Intel chipset drivers that have been causing kernel panics on other people's systems as well.  I can't be sure that this is the same root cause, but it makes sense.

Do you have a source for this? I don't doubt it.

I just saw my first kernel panic running ubuntu with 3.19.0-18 and A04. I'm thinking about compiling 3.19.0-18 with the USB serial console enabled as per wiki.ubuntu.com/.../KernelDebuggingTricks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I wanted to give a positive followup to my own experiences with multiple daily kernel panics on this machine.

I took the plunge and went from kernel 3.19.0-15 on 15.04 to kernel 4.1-rc5.

I had to recompile the kernel with a patched broadcom wifi driver in order to get wifi to work.  I used links found here to get this working: forthescience.org/.../installing_ubuntu_14_04_on_the_new_dell_xps_13

Everything else functions correctly (touchpad, sound, keyboard, etc).

I have not had a single kernel panic in the 3 days that I've been on 4.1-rc5.  I wish I could provide more technical information to support why this is working, but these are my experiences so far.

JR

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Per this post

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/os-applications/f/4613/t/19634054

I blacklisted kernel modules mei and mei_me and added the suggested kernel option by modifying this line in /etc/default/grub (then ran update-grub)

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.enable_ips=0"

and I am 99.9% sure my kernel panics are fixed.

It used to panic maybe 1/3 of the time I would put it to sleep, and today I put it to sleep many times to test and it never panicked once. It also fixed the flickering video during startup and shutdown.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

I blacklisted kernel modules mei and mei_me

Thanks! I have suspended/resumed a least a dozen times today and I haven't seen a kernel panic since blacklisting mei and mei_me. I will report back if I do.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I had a kernel panic going into sleep (suspend) mode earlier today even though I have mei and mei_me blacklisted. However, it only happens ~5% of the time which makes it hard to reproduce for debugging.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Were you by chance changing anything with regards to your wireless card? I went for a couple of days without a panic, and yesterday had 3 in a row. I was setting a manual IP address on my wireless interface and also changing SSID's. Once I stopped messing with the wireless card settings, the panics stopped.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Good point - I was pondering the same thing. It's hard to tell whether crashes on wake from suspend are due to waking from suspend, or from wireless (perhaps the  Broadcom driver) because when it wakes, it immediately re-connects to wireless.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I have exactly the same issue, but running Kubuntu 15.04, kernel 3.19.0-18-generic.  I notice it in the exact same scenarios.  It seems to me that the changing wireless problem is even worse than for suspend.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

+1 same problem with Ubuntu 15.04 (3.19.0-18-generic kernel) here. Still A03 bios.

And the screen goes completely blank randomly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have the same problem, and there seems to be a fix here :

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=192287&p=4
bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=523326#c24

I'll try it and  give feedbacks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Great info - thanks. Looks like a C pointer bug with a 2-line fix.

Two questions:

1. When will this fix be applied to the PPA so we all get it in the next update?

2. How to apply this fix (build & install the broadcom driver locally)?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

(Disclaimer, I'm no expert, not sure this is right)

So I kind of followed the instructions here:

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php;p=5

I added the patch (http://pastebin.com/pATazP6K) to /usr/src/bcmwl-6.30.223.248+bdcom/patches/1234-crash.patch -- careful not to convert the tabs to spaces.

Then I edited /usr/src/bcmwl-6.30.223.248+bdcom/dkms.conf by adding the line:

PATCH[9]="1234-crash.patch"    

And I removed/build/installed (using dkms) and I assume I got the patched module.

$ sudo dkms remove bcmwl/"6.30.223.248+bdcom" --all

$ sudo dkms build -m bcmwl -v "6.30.223.248+bdcom"

$ sudo dkms install -m bcmwl -v "6.30.223.248+bdcom"

But no luck ... I did that yesterday, and today I already got a kernel panic (which with me often comes together with a sudden blank screen, so it may be something different?).

$ uname -a

Linux bit 3.19.0-18-generic #18-Ubuntu SMP Tue May 19 18:31:35 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Quite frustrating ... I wish I could return the laptop, I've lost too much time on it already to get these things running (both on windows and on ubuntu, neither works quite right), and I still got a laptop that occasionally crashes 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

<< Quite frustrating ... I wish I could return the laptop, I've lost too much time on it already to get these things running (both on windows and on ubuntu, neither works quite right), and I still got a laptop that occasionally crashes >>

My Intel wireless card is on its way. From what I read, this may be the solution. Everything else on my XPS-13 is working fine and I do like this machine. So if I can fix the occasional wireless glitches it would be great. I'll report back after it's installed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Agreed with you, other than the crashes I like the machine.

The problem is that I'm also having occasional video breaks:

en.community.dell.com/.../20772290

and

https://bugs.launchpad.net/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/1432194

And bluetooth doesn't work ... 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

I got BT working by downloading the Windows driver, extracting firmware from it, and installing it. I found the instructions here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/533043/bluetooth-not-working-on-ubuntu-14-04-with-dell-inspiron-15-35...

After I replace the Broadcom card with the Intel, I won't need this hack, nor the Broadcom driver patch, and it should work better. The Intel is the card Dell should have installed in all the Ubuntu versions of the XPS-13.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I seem to have fixed these issues on my setup.  From reading the thread, and from my own experience, I think it is hard to resolve as the kernel panics are due to two issues, not just one.  First, there is the suspend issue, and second there is the wireless issue (a faulty pointer). The combination of solutions that seems to work (and both need to be used) is as follows:

For the suspend issue, blacklist mei and mei_me.  Do this by adding the following lines:

blacklist mei
blacklist mei_me

to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf.  

For the wifi issue, apply the patch to the kernel as descibed here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bcmwl/+bug/1415880.  Just follow the instructions in the first post and you should be good to go.

For reference, I am running Kubuntu 15.04, with kernel 3.19.0-18-generic.  I have been suspending for two days with no issues, and have switched wireless networks many times on purpose to insure no hangups.  If I see any problems I will report back, but I hope this helps others in the meantime.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Same issue here. Ubuntu 15.04, A04, kernel 3.19.0-21, with BCM4352 wireless card. Daily kernel panics are almost always preceded by periods of very unstable wireless connectivity. I am not actively changing wireless settings / access points when this happens.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Same here, 

I'm using the latest BIOS A04 on my Dell XPS 13 with Full HD and without touch screen. So far (last two weeks) I got five times a Kernel panic with blinking caps lock key: 

- When searching for another wifi network

- When entering suspend mode

Additionally, the wifi connection does not seem very reliable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Same here, 

I'm using the latest BIOS A04 with Ubuntu 15.04 on my Dell XPS 13 with Full HD and without touch screen. So far (last two weeks) I got five times a Kernel panic with blinking caps lock key: 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Have you blacklisted the "mei" and "mei_me" packages in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf?

Blacklisting those should resolve kernel panics when entering suspend. There is a post above with details for how to do this.

The majority of my kernel panics were from resuming from suspend so the above blacklisting resolved the majority of my kernel panics.  Now I get 1-2 kernel panics a month it seems, although I am not frequently changing wireless networks.

There is a bug in the Broadcom drivers for Ubuntu which creates a null pointer when changing wireless networks.  Since most of my kernel panics are resolved, I have not taken the time to apply the patch to fix this, but in theory others have documented how to patch the issue in code yourself.

Regarding reliability, I have not had any issues with my wireless (even without the null pointer patch).  In fact, most issues I have are with my wireless routers and when they act up I tether my Sputnik to my iPhone using WiFi.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

After blacklisting mei and mei_me and replacing the wifi card to the 7265 one I have not seen a kernel panick (in about 2 weeks). The wifi with the 7265 card works much better.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

You manually replaced the hardware yourself?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Yes, I did. The link to a discussion is below. There is also a pictured tutorial by ifixit.

en.community.dell.com/.../19638741

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

If it's any comfort I am seeing exactly the same behaviour with exactly the same kernel/ubuntu (gnome). Very frustrating. 

Did you solve it? 

Linux toni-XPS-13-9343 3.19.0-22-generic #22-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 16 17:15:15 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I am on bios 04 but I still get kernel panics once in a while (almost every day, but I close the lid, 3/4 times a day) 

Key repeats: YES still there, annoyingly, mostly with the space, so all my emails these days have two random spaces here and there. 

I don't use bluetooth much. 

Definitely some random trackpad jumping, when I am in gmail the email just disappear and I end up with a draft (at least it didn't send an email for me yet). 

I haven't seen the clock mode stuck, but it might have happened as well as sometimes the system feels slower.

So all of these posts are old and no solution from dell yet? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Just to confirm, you have:

1. Upgraded to kernel 3.19+
  2. Applied the patches from Dell (important to appy them AFTER upgrading kernel even though it says they are targeted for 3.13)
  3. Blacklisted mei and mei_me packages
  4. Replaced the wireless card or self-patched the Broadcom drivers to resolve null pointer issue

After these steps (in this order) you're system should no longer have key repeats or frequent kernel panics.  The wireless card will still not support channels 12 and 13 and bluetooth still isn't working (apparently).

I have done steps 1-3 and I don't have key repeats or kernel panics.  Since I haven't patched or replaced the wireless yet, I don't have channels 12/13, bluetooth, and I can get kernel panics once every month or two due to the null pointer issue...but I live in the US so the 12/13 channel issue is not usually an issue and the kernel panics aren't enough of a problem to demand immediate attention.

To the best of my knowledge, Dell Pro Support still haven't figured out how they want to handle these issues...so no, there is no ironclad solution from Dell yet.  Most of the fixes, workarounds and troubleshooting is still being done largely by the community (at least from my perspective).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

For me, those steps fixed the kernel panics but not the keyboard. Nothing fixed the keyboard for me, and even the replacement laptop that Dell sent me also had the same keyboard problems.

BTW, replacing the Broadcom card with the Intel 7265 is the best solution to wireless & BT issues. Patching the Broadcom driver fixes the kernel panics, but doesn't make it work properly. Even after being patched, Bluetooth still didn't work after waking from suspend. The Intel 7265 works seamlessly with no need for driver installs or patches.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Nice to see you're still monitoring this forum MRC01!

Hmmm...I am a bit puzzled by the fact you are still getting keyboard repeats and I haven't had key repeat issues since I patched in the 3.19 kernel with the LTS testing repository back in February (before 3.19 kernel was available for 14.04 LTS).  In fact, I think you and I were going back and forth troubleshooting back then.

I have come a similar conclusion about replacing the Broadcom card.  I just haven't gotten around to it yet and I am waiting on Pro Support to approve the replacement so it won't void my warranty/Pro Support contract.

At the end of the day, I think I will just buy a Mac and install Linux onto it when I want to upgrade from this laptop.  The amount of troubleshooting and pain I have had to endure with this generation of the Sputnik has probably turned me off of Dell for a good while.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I can confirm that blacklisting the modules works as part of the solution.  Before that, closing the lid and opening it would send the laptop into a kernel panic (XPS 13 9394 A04 Ubuntu 15.04).  After putting in the blacklist and rebooting, I've tried closing the lid a few times and it seems to resume just fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I have this problem too, and also suspect it's a combo of suspend and wifi issues.

It's a total pain in the ***, causing me freezes ~10 times each day, and resulting in data loss all the while.

The problem only appeared recently for me,  probably within weeks. I've blacklisted the modules, have not patched the wifi drivers, and the issue still persists. Running Fedora 22.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi,

You seem to be saying that you have not patched the wifi driver. This was key for me. These kernel panics stopped for me when I patched the Broadcom wifi driver (as described here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bcmwl/+bug/1415880 )

I went from having one or two kernel panics a day to none since I did the patch (about one week). I also have the usually recommended modules blacklisted (i.e. adding blacklist mei, blacklist mei_me to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf.)

I have also set the XPS13 to do nothing on closing of the lid -- I just suspend via a press of the power button. However, I set this up before I patched the wife drivers (as I was mostly getting the panics when I closed the lid to suspend), and have not tried setting the lid close back to its normal suspend function...everything might be fine t now but I just have got into the habit of suspending via the power switch.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

What worked the best for me to get rid of kernel panics was to swap out the Broadcom card with an Intel 7260NGW. I've only had two kernel panics since I got the machine, both times happened in the short window where I had the Broadcom card installed. I haven't had a single panic with Intel wireless cards installed. Plus, my Bluetooth now works.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have patched the broadcom driver as described above, I have blacklisted mei and mei_me, I still suspend by closing the lid, and I have had no more kernel panics since patching the driver.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I also ended up replacing the Broadcom card with the Intel 7265, zero kernel panics since. I understand I could have patched the driver, but now I have a stable machine from the get go no matter which distro I choose to run..

0 Kudos