Linux Developer Systems

3 Silver

XPS-13 wireless: Broadcom vs. Intel

I'm getting tired of the flaky behavior of the Broadcom wireless card in my XPS-13. Some have said replacing it with the Intel card resolves this. Could anyone confirm this is the correct card: www.amazon.com/.../B00STV5UKW

If not, could someone post a link to the correct one?

Replies (29)
2 Bronze

I have just replaced the Broadcom with Intel.

No more system hangs. 30$ well spent.

2 Bronze

hi all, i know this is an old thread but i'm having bluetooth and wifi issues on my xps13-2015 model w/Win 10 and the Broadcom 1560 card.  half the time upon boot and waking from suspend, bluetooth is disabled, cannot be turned on via toggle but eventually comes on approx 5-10 minutes after boot.  my issue with wifi is the flakely-most-of-the-time lack of support for Hotspots.  i got it working once with the MS WiFi Direct Virtual Adapter but after reboot it no longer works, and this for 3 months. does anyone have any suggested work arounds? if not, then i'm going to get the intel wifi card as well. thanks in advance to anyone that replies..

Sep 10 2015 Update:  Purchased the Intel Combo Wifi/Bluetooth card and all issues resolved. Bluetooth connects instantly (no driver errors or disabled at start up) and Hosted Networking (Hotspots) working as well.

2 Bronze

Seems a very common issue. XPS 13 (2015) horrible wifi from the moment I turned it on out of the box. Wifi fades in and out continually on numerous networks making this PC pretty much unusable for normal work. Thankfully have Pro Support and they changed motherboard, wifi card and antenna setup no fix. I have tried to insist on the Intel wifi card referenced as this is mentioned in numerous places on the web but I have to send system back in for investigation. Gotta say Dell support is still fantastic but not happy brand new system I desperately need is not working.

I suggest everyone and anyone should post here how poor the Broadcom card is and get Dell to ditch it totally.

2 Bronze

Also the same problem here: WIFI lousy, Bluetooth essentially unuable. Could anyone help please: which precise model do I need: 7265AC or 7265NGW AN, see the following link. They seem to look identical. I could not figure out whether they are identical.

http://www.amazon.de/876M-Wlan-Karte-Intel-7265/dp/B00VWKR8DO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Any help is highly appreciated.

2 Bronze

Ordered this one the other day and works perfectly.

www.amazon.com/.../B00RCZ4I6S;redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

2 Bronze

My system update.

I had to bite the bullet and expressed an Intel card which has made wifi usable immediately where it was totally unusable prior. Can't believe they use the *** Broadcom unit which on my PC was over two years old based on manufacture date. Unfortunately I have to say that overall wifi reception is still nothing as good as my Dell Latitude or my MS Surface Pro 3. So, in anything but plain view of a router it still fades in and out while other systems are stable. Interestingly this seems to be less of an issue of 5G vs 2.4G wifi.

Still can't believe pay so much money for a premium laptop and have to deal with this kind of issue.

2 Bronze

Same here. Bough the Intel card in hope that it will perform better. Well it does, but as you say, compared to my MacBook Pro, Surface Pro 3, iPad, iPhone, Samsung Galaxy S3, Kindle... I think you get the idea... it just performs poorly.

Very disappointed in this regard about the XPS 13.

3 Argentum

it just performs poorly.

What performs poorly? The wifi? In what sense? Signal?

What does the custom WIFI card you bought have to do with XPS 13? You think the poor WIFI performance is due to the motherboard or something else to do with XPS besides your custom Intel card?

2 Bronze

I have same experience. I think it have something to do with the design, choice of material and location of the antennas in XPS 13

2 Bronze

TheNitai

it just performs poorly.

What performs poorly? The wifi? In what sense? Signal?

TheNitai

What does the custom WIFI card you bought have to do with XPS 13? You think the poor WIFI performance is due to the motherboard or something else to do with XPS besides your custom Intel card?

My comment was in regards to the Broadcom card. However, even with the Intel card the Wifi performs poorly. I don't think I have to go into what poorly means, as just about everyone who owns a Xps13 says the same on this forums. It's not a secret after all that the Xps13's Wifi is the weakest part.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions