Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2015 01:00

XPS13 9350 skylake no wifi on Ubuntu 15.10

With Ubuntu 15.10 (default kernel 4.2), 9350 almost works out of box, except this DW1820A wireless card. It has been a few days, I still couldn't get the wireless card working. From what I have read on Linux Wireless, BCM4350 driver is queued to be included in kernel 4.4. That's a long wait. 

Could anyone help?

2 Posts

November 11th, 2015 05:00

I've applied patch from 4.4 kernel for Broadcom 4350 support, also got the latest firmware, and it works. check that wiki.archlinux.org/.../Dell_XPS_13_(2016)

I am on Arch Linux with 4.2.5 (4.3 is not working properly yes), looks like everything is ok, except battery live (deep sleep C-states are not available, waiting for 4.3 for the support) and random hangs. or may be I should migrate to Windows :emotion-5: 

19 Posts

November 11th, 2015 11:00

mpalmiotto and others :

Have you by any chance been able to use virtualbox with that custom kernel?

It doesn't seem to be able to compile the kernel driver against it...

cheers! :)

2 Posts

November 11th, 2015 13:00

Works fine, 

ᐅ lsmod | grep vbox
vboxpci                24576  0
vboxnetflt             28672  0
vboxnetadp             28672  0
vboxdrv               385024  4 vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt,vboxpci

installed packages virtualbox and virtualbox-host-dkms

November 12th, 2015 11:00

I've been using virtualbox and vagrant with kernel 4.3~something (have detailed in prior post). It's NOT a "custom" kernel that I compiled myself though (swapped out the broadcom for an intel so it's not needed).

17 Posts

November 12th, 2015 18:00

Yeah, between this and displaylink not working, it looks like the best solution is to just get the intel card.

20 Posts

November 13th, 2015 08:00

skyred

I can get in GRUB advanced boot options for Ubuntu. That's no problem. The problem is that under advanced options I don't see the custom kernel I compiled, following the previous instructions. 

I installed my custom kernel twice via dpkg. I don't see any error messages. But, still don't see the option to boot the custom kernel.

I had the same issue, no initrd being generated or placed in /boot.

The following worked perfectly for me and I saw dpkg generate the initrd and place it in /boot appropriately.

$ cd ~
$ wget en.community.dell.com/.../brcmfmac4350_2D00_pcie.zip
$ unzip brcmfmac4350_2D00_pcie.zip
$ sudo mv brcmfmac4350-pcie.bin /lib/firmware/brcm/
$ sudo chmod 600 /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4350-pcie.bin
$ sudo apt-get install git build-essential kernel-package fakeroot libncurses5-dev libssl-dev ccache
$ git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git
$ git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
$ cd net-next
$ git format-patch -1 e3c92cb
$ cp 0001-brcmfmac-Add-support-for-the-BCM4350-PCIE-device.patch ../linux/
$ cd ../linux
$ git fetch git://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-kernel-test/ubuntu/+source/linux/+git/mainline-crack cod/tip/drm-intel-nightly/2015-11-05
$ git checkout FETCH_HEAD
$ git am --reject 0001-brcmfmac-Add-support-for-the-BCM4350-PCIE-device.patch
$ cp /boot/config-`uname -r` .config
$ make oldconfig
$ yes '' | make oldconfig
$ make clean
$ cd ../
$ git clone git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-wily.git
$ cp -a /usr/share/kernel-package ubuntu-package
$ cp ubuntu-wily/debian/control-scripts/{postinst,postrm,preinst,prerm} ubuntu-package/pkg/image/
$ cp ubuntu-wily/debian/control-scripts/headers-postinst ubuntu-package/pkg/headers/
$ cd linux
$ CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=`getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN` fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-custom --overlay-dir=$HOME/ubuntu-package kernel_image kernel_headers
$ cd ../
$ sudo dpkg -i linux-image-4.3.0-custom-dbg_4.3.0-custom-1_amd64.deb
$ sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-4.3.0-custom_4.3.0-custom-1_amd64.deb

I followed this new instruction, but I still cannot boot into 4.3 custom kernel.

10 Posts

November 18th, 2015 23:00

Wifi is working like a charm with those instructions, thanks a lot.

I then tried to get dislaylink to work as well, which I managed to compile, but then the module wont insert:

Nov 19 08:21:23 rocket systemd[1]: Starting DisplayLink Manager Service...
-- Subject: Unit displaylink.service has begun start-up
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: lists.freedesktop.org/.../systemd-devel
--
-- Unit displaylink.service has begun starting up.
Nov 19 08:21:23 rocket modprobe[12189]: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'evdi': Exec format error
Nov 19 08:21:23 rocket kernel: evdi: no symbol version for module_layout
Nov 19 08:21:23 rocket systemd[1]: displaylink.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
Nov 19 08:21:23 rocket systemd[1]: Failed to start DisplayLink Manager Service.
-- Subject: Unit displaylink.service has failed
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: lists.freedesktop.org/.../systemd-devel
--
-- Unit displaylink.service has failed.
--
-- The result is failed.
Nov 19 08:21:23 rocket systemd[1]: displaylink.service: Unit entered failed state.
Nov 19 08:21:23 rocket systemd[1]: displaylink.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

I noticed that the x64 folder in the displaylink-folder is empty, and only the x86 contains a lievdi.so etc.
Did I do anything wrong, or is that simply something that wont work? ;)

22 Posts

November 19th, 2015 00:00

Here is how I got to work:

I used the .run file and installed displaylink, then I copied the dir. "displaylink" from usr/lib to an memory stick. Uninstalled displaylink and made a reboot. Kopied the "displaylink dir. from the memory-stick to usr/lib and installed displaylink with the modified installer.sh Here you can  find the modified installer: displaylink.org/.../showthread.php

And it worked. The response by the installation in the terminal was the following:

DisplayLink Linux Software 1.0.138 install script called: install
Distribution discovered: Ubuntu 15.10
Installing
Configuring EVDI DKMS module
Registering EVDI kernel module with DKMS
Building EVDI kernel module with DKMS
Installing EVDI kernel module to kernel tree
EVDI kernel module built successfully
Installing x64/DisplayLinkManager
Installing libraries
Installing firmware packages
mv: kan ikke udføre stat() på '*.spkg': Ingen sådan fil eller filkatalog
Installing license file
mv: kan ikke udføre stat() på 'LICENSE': Ingen sådan fil eller filkatalog
Adding udev rule for DisplayLink DL-3xxx/5xxx devices
Starting DLM systemd service
gert@gert-XPS-13-9343:~/displaylink-driver-1.0.138$

10 Posts

November 19th, 2015 02:00

Also tried that, the DLM service cannot be started because the module is wrong:

Nov 19 11:12:57 rocket modprobe[2556]: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'evdi': Exec format error

Must have something to do with the custom kernel for the Wifi, I assume... Will keep trying.

22 Posts

November 19th, 2015 04:00

You may be right as I have replaced the Broadcom WIFI card with the Intel WIFI card.

20 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 09:00

I tried again. This time, I upgraded Ubuntu 15.10 kernel to 4.3 first, then followed the instruction, I was able to create and boot into 4.3-custom kernel, and WIFI works well now. Finally.

Then, I was trying to pair my Razor Orochi 2015 to my XPS13 Skylake. The bluetooth UI was able to recognize the mouse, but it couldn't pair with it. Then, I tried to pair my Nexus 5 or 6P to XPS13. XPS13 Couldn't even recognize them.

Then, in command line, I typed:

dmesg | grep -i blue

I see:

bluetooth hci0: Direct firmware load for brcm/BCM-0a5c-6412.hcd failed with error -2

hmm. Does this have something to do with the patch we did early in the wireless driver?

10 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 09:00

I got Bluetooth working perfectly by following the appropriate instructions for the 9343 from here :http://forthescience.org/blog/tag/xps13.html

Only thing left for me is the displaylink story (and I havent played with suspend/resume at all yet).

2 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 13:00

Very helpful, works for me !

Thank you.

20 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 17:00

Can you please confirm that the instructions to get Bluetooth working for 9340 will also fix the Bluetooth on 9350?

No Events found!