Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2015 01:00

XPS13 9350 skylake no wifi on Ubuntu 15.10

With Ubuntu 15.10 (default kernel 4.2), 9350 almost works out of box, except this DW1820A wireless card. It has been a few days, I still couldn't get the wireless card working. From what I have read on Linux Wireless, BCM4350 driver is queued to be included in kernel 4.4. That's a long wait. 

Could anyone help?

10 Posts

December 17th, 2015 12:00

I tried this, but only got a black screen.

What finally fixed it, was this kernel parameter:
i915.enable_ips=0

Will try now if my external displays and everything still work.

17 Posts

I tried this, but only got a black screen.

What finally fixed it, was this kernel parameter:
i915.enable_ips=0

Will try now if my external displays and everything still work.

Apologies, but I don't see any posts listing the details about your machine.

Would you mind providing more information about your computer:

- FHD/QHD
- Processor
- Kernel version (uname -r). If you're not on the 4.3-custom kernel that I outlined in my post, would you mind pointing to where/how you got yours?
- Xorg/xrandr configurations
- Monitor brand/size/res

QHD i7 here too. Replaced broadcom wifi with intel. External monitor works great also with Type C to HDMI adapter. Have had SOME success with the D3100 docking station, but only on 4.4 kernels.

I've used these kernel params before:

i915
intel_agp
nvme

still getting black screen.

Will try with i915.enable_ips=0

Again, trying to get latest 4.4 kernels working.

I haven't had any trouble with suspend/resume with ANY kernel. So it should work fine for you.

17 Posts

Sorry, I thought the post I was replying to (the one just before mine) would be quoted.

I have the QHD+, i7, brcm wifi, and I was referring to kernel 4.4rc5.
With that parameter I finally got a working 4.4 kernel.

I just connected to my Dell U2515H with a Type C to HDMI Adapter, works flawlessly (both screens etc).

Awesome! How about suspend/resume?
I know this is asking a lot, but battery stats might be nice as well...

Thanks for the quick reply.

17 Posts

December 17th, 2015 13:00

I haven't had any trouble with suspend/resume with ANY kernel. So it should work fine for you.

Uh, I find that hard to believe, considering I can't suspend/resume with the stock Ubuntu 15.10 kernel. IIRC, this is a very common problem problem for Linux users.

Is there something special you've done to which you can attribute your success?

December 18th, 2015 12:00

Still having trouble with 4.4 kernels and NVME? I get dropped out from boot and says it can't find the device.

I'm adding nvme to kernel parameters and it looks like the driver is in place. This seemed to work fine the 4.3 kernel... So, why?

December 18th, 2015 12:00

When I say ANY kernel, I definitely mean any kernel I've tried on this machine. I have the i7 QHD.

Suspend/resume has worked for each. I'm on Xubuntu. In the past I've seen differences between different distros (or different flavors of the same distro) and suspend/resume working on the same machine.

11 Posts

December 19th, 2015 06:00

are you using a kernel from kernel.ubuntu.com ?

they are broken, I compiled 4.4rc5 on my own and it works

10 Posts

December 21st, 2015 10:00

are you using a kernel from kernel.ubuntu.com ?

they are broken, I compiled 4.4rc5 on my own and it works

Unfortunately looks like you're right.
My 4.4rc5 stopped working (or it's only booting every fifth time or less), 4.4rc6 won't boot at all.
So far no clues in /var/log/syslog or similar...
Will get back to 4.3 for the time being, waiting for a really working 4.4.

9 Posts

December 23rd, 2015 06:00

The following lines confuses me:
$ make oldconfig
$ yes '' | make oldconfig

The former gives me lots of prompts where the defaults often are 'no' (and take a couple of minutes to go through), while the latter answer yes to all the above. Is there any reason why this is done this way?

I ask since I installed everything as described, resulting in working wifi, but no WPA-enabled SSID are visibile or connectible. I am wondering if I disabled something I shouldn't have.

17 Posts

December 23rd, 2015 07:00

The following lines confuses me:
$ make oldconfig
$ yes '' | make oldconfig

The former gives me lots of prompts where the defaults often are 'no' (and take a couple of minutes to go through), while the latter answer yes to all the above. Is there any reason why this is done this way?

I ask since I installed everything as described, resulting in working wifi, but no WPA-enabled SSID are visibile or connectible. I am wondering if I disabled something I shouldn't have.

It's a typo. I'll fix it. The `yes` command just repeats a string, so the intent is to do `yes ""` and just default on all of the prompts in oldconfig. The first command is not necessary.

That should read `$ yes "" | make oldconfig`. Apologies for the confusion.

1 Message

December 28th, 2015 20:00

For those that are getting a blank screen during boot after installing the 4.4RC kernels, be sure to enable NVME and update your initramfs:

$ sudo vi /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
Add:
i915
nvme

$ sudo update-initramfs -u -k all

Read more from the comment I made here:

www.rossfisher.me/.../how-to-get-dell-xps-13-9350-9550-wifi-working-on-ubuntu-15-10

Also, when I do this, I've only been able to boot when selecting my kernel from the GRUB bootloader. Initially when the machine boots, it loads the default kernel (4.4), tries to boot, and fails. I hold down the power button, it reboots, then the GRUB kernel chooser comes up, I select the same 4.4 kernel, and it boots successfully.

6 Posts

January 1st, 2016 20:00

After installing 4.4rc7 and adding i915 and nvme to initramfs I continued to hit the blank screen during boot.  Adding the kernel parameter i915.enable_ips=0 had no effect.  Adding the kernel parameter nomodeset avoided the blank screen but resulted in graphical artifacts and eliminated icon scaling (difficult on QHD screen).

I mistakenly booted the low latency kernel (no added kernel params).  Everything works fine with that kernel.  No blank screen during boot, video good, wifi good, suspend and resume is working fine.  I'm sticking with the 4.4rc7 low latency kernel for now.

Any ideas why low latency would function while generic doesn't?

4 Posts

January 3rd, 2016 09:00

Hi !

Have you seen this ? http://blog.jimbasilio.me/2015/12/back-to-the-future-dell-xps-9350-4-4-rc7-kernel/

He says Rc4.7 runs wifi natively... I tried, as I tried all the solutions above, but I never get the wifi working (still using a nano wifi USB key...). However I enjoy an efficient behavior of the suspend since 4.3 kernel.

I'm finally wondering if my wifi is not recognize or if it's just disabled for another reason (bad config of my bios or whatever). Is there a way to check the status of my Broadcom Wifi ?

No Events found!