Highlighted
isleofmandan
1 Copper

Re: XPS13 ubuntu wireless issues.

The above command failed on my (stock) Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition, due to unmet dependencies.

However, after some great help from the folks on the #ubuntu-uk IRC channel, here's a solution that worked from my LX322x machine (fitted with the Atheros wireless card:

Open a terminal (press CTRL+ALT+T) and type:  sudo apt-get install linux-generic-lts-quantal

Then reboot your laptop.

This command installs a newer Linux kernel, with better drivers for the wifi card. I can confirm that all the other features (hotkeys, two finger scrolling etc.) all continue to work on this kernel.

Tags (5)
LewisWatson
1 Copper

RE: XPS13 ubuntu wireless issues.

This worked for me, thank you so much! emoticon.BigSmile.title

0 Kudos
chicochaz
1 Copper

After months of attempting to fix this issue, installing this backport worked for me using the provided instructions.

Link: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1160188

Instructions:

1. Open Dash and search for Terminal and open it
  2. wget https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/backports/2013/06/18/backports-20130618.tar.xz
  3. tar xvf backports-20130618.tar.xz
  4. cd backports-20130618
  5. make defconfig-ath9k
  6. make
  7. sudo make install
  8. (insert your password when sudo asks it).
  9. Ready! Reboot the computer.

The new drivers should then be in use, but note you will need to do the steps 4-7 again if a Linux kernel update comes as a security update or otherwise.

0 Kudos
mhanby
1 Nickel

Chicochaz, what release of Ubuntu are you running? 12.04, 12.10 or 13.04?

0 Kudos
chicochaz
1 Copper

12.10 - The only reason I upgraded to 12.10 was to fix the daily freeze-ups I was receiving.

0 Kudos
albertitu
1 Copper

This has worked for me fine, thanks to 

Now the issue with wifi has been SOLVED and even the batery life is longer , i guess not be connecting all the time saves batery.

0 Kudos
boylenssen
1 Nickel

I just had time to use my new XPS 13 and found out also the disconnecting WiFi issue 😞

I updated to the new kernel as mentioned previously in this topic (quantal) and hope that will help. I have not tried it yet.

The machine cost me 1200 euro's which I paid to get a full functioning device. The Wifi issue is quite old now and people are able to fix it using some sort of update.

@Barton_George what will be the solution from Dell on this? If I reinstall my system again, I just want to update it and then work.

What support is there fore 13.04 / 13.10 / 14.04 ?

0 Kudos
PvdEijk
1 Copper

I also have this issue (my logs look exactly what poster #1 posts)  and am also disappointed that this product (which is marketed as an out-of-the-box functional, tested product) has such a critical problem that I think should have been spotted and addressed in QA.    I would like to have an answer from a Dell representative about the steps to address this issue.  I have seen at least:

-   have ProSupport replace Atheros network card by  Intel.

-  downgrade some server module to an older version

-  upgrade to a kernel module

Since the product is sold with Dell ProSupport,  I called them in my country (Netherlands) and asked them for an answer.  Disappointingly,  they say the only support for this product is via this Forum as they have no Linux expertise.  I told them  that this product is sold with Linux and claims to include support with no success. (They are willing to send someone to replace the network card).

Please anyone from Dell,  please tell me the recommended/support way to solve this problem without creating new/other ones !?

Also, if there is a ProSupport channel other than Netherlands local Dell that IS capable of handling and answering Ubuntu questions for XPS 13 developer edition,   please let me know.   I don't mind calling telephone numbers in other geographies and/or timezones.

Pim

0 Kudos
PvdEijk
1 Copper

"upgrade to a kernel module" --> "upgrade to a newer kernel"

0 Kudos
mhanby
1 Nickel

Howdy Pim,

There are several solutions that seem to resolve the issue. The solutions depend on which card you have and which version of Ubuntu you are running. If you are running 12.04 LTS and have the Centrino card, it's a simple kernel upgrade:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install linux-generic-lts-quantal

My workmate and I have been documenting configuration/issues with these Sputnik laptops at the following site. The WIFI issues are here:

https://dev.uabgrid.uab.edu/wiki/ExperiencesWithSputnik#WirelessIssues

0 Kudos