Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 9th, 2013 04:00

XPS13 ubuntu wireless issues.

Hi there,

We have two XPS13's delivered in the last 10 days, both are dropping wireless connections very frequently when connecting to different networks in different locations. It then trys to reconnect to the same SSID, often asking for the password.

Looking at /var/log/syslog, I'm seeing lines suggesting the laptop thinks it is roaming between networks.

Jul 8 16:54:30 mymachine NetworkManager[1088]: (wlan0): roamed from BSSID AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF (MySSID) to (none) ((none))

This is not the case. The AP is approximately 1-2m from the machine in each scenario, connecting on either 2.4 or 5ghz frequencies, the same thing happens on both. I think I've captured a complete drop/reconnect cycle here:

http://www.cfp.co.uk/syslog-export.txt

Both laptops have these specs:

XPS13 model L322X
BIOS A09

> sudo lspci -v [snipped]
01:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
Subsystem: Bigfoot Networks, Inc. Device 2003
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
Memory at d0400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
Expansion ROM at bfa00000 [disabled] [size=64K]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/4 Maskable+ 64bit+
Capabilities: [70] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
Kernel driver in use: ath9k
Kernel modules: ath9k

PPA list is as follows [both laptops up to date via update manager]:

/etc/apt/sources.list:deb http://opensource.dell.com/releases/sputnik/archive precise main
/etc/apt/sources.list:deb-src http://opensource.dell.com/releases/sputnik/archive precise main
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/canonical-hwe-sputnik-kernel-precise.list:deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/canonical-hwe-team/sputnik-kernel/ubuntu precise main
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/canonical-hwe-sputnik-kernel-precise.list:deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/canonical-hwe-team/sputnik-kernel/ubuntu precise main
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/precise-dell.list:deb http://dell.archive.canonical.com/updates/ precise-dell public
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/precise-dell.list:deb-src http://dell.archive.canonical.com/updates/ precise-dell public
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/precise-dell.list.save:deb http://dell.archive.canonical.com/updates/ precise-dell public
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/precise-dell.list.save:deb-src http://dell.archive.canonical.com/updates/ precise-dell public

The wireless AP's have these specs:

WAP Asus RT-N56U
Firmware version: 1.0.1.2

Buffalo AirStation nFiniti WZR-HP-AG300H
Firmware version: DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (03/21/11) std - build 16519

23 Posts

September 3rd, 2013 23:00

I just had time to use my new XPS 13 and found out also the disconnecting WiFi issue :(

I updated to the new kernel as mentioned previously in this topic (quantal) and hope that will help. I have not tried it yet.

The machine cost me 1200 euro's which I paid to get a full functioning device. The Wifi issue is quite old now and people are able to fix it using some sort of update.

@Barton_George what will be the solution from Dell on this? If I reinstall my system again, I just want to update it and then work.

What support is there fore 13.04 / 13.10 / 14.04 ?

5 Posts

September 18th, 2013 04:00

I also have this issue (my logs look exactly what poster #1 posts)  and am also disappointed that this product (which is marketed as an out-of-the-box functional, tested product) has such a critical problem that I think should have been spotted and addressed in QA.    I would like to have an answer from a Dell representative about the steps to address this issue.  I have seen at least:

-   have ProSupport replace Atheros network card by  Intel.

-  downgrade some server module to an older version

-  upgrade to a kernel module

Since the product is sold with Dell ProSupport,  I called them in my country (Netherlands) and asked them for an answer.  Disappointingly,  they say the only support for this product is via this Forum as they have no Linux expertise.  I told them  that this product is sold with Linux and claims to include support with no success. (They are willing to send someone to replace the network card).

Please anyone from Dell,  please tell me the recommended/support way to solve this problem without creating new/other ones !?

Also, if there is a ProSupport channel other than Netherlands local Dell that IS capable of handling and answering Ubuntu questions for XPS 13 developer edition,   please let me know.   I don't mind calling telephone numbers in other geographies and/or timezones.

Pim

5 Posts

September 18th, 2013 04:00

"upgrade to a kernel module" --> "upgrade to a newer kernel"

1 Rookie

• 

46 Posts

September 18th, 2013 08:00

Howdy Pim,

There are several solutions that seem to resolve the issue. The solutions depend on which card you have and which version of Ubuntu you are running. If you are running 12.04 LTS and have the Centrino card, it's a simple kernel upgrade:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install linux-generic-lts-quantal

My workmate and I have been documenting configuration/issues with these Sputnik laptops at the following site. The WIFI issues are here:

https://dev.uabgrid.uab.edu/wiki/ExperiencesWithSputnik#WirelessIssues

5 Posts

September 19th, 2013 08:00

Hello Mike,

Thanks a lot for your post!   My machine also has the Atheros AR9462 wifi adapter with Ubuntu 12.04,  and the solution you gave seems to work as I've not been disconnected for the past several hours. 

Thanks again,

Pim

1 Rookie

• 

46 Posts

September 19th, 2013 08:00

Excellent, glad it helped. That issue was driving me absolutely crazy, I was about to the point where I was going to call Dell and request that they replace the card with the Centrino Wifi until I found that it also had issues. Luckily I stumbled onto the solution(s) for the Atheros while researching the Centrino.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

September 19th, 2013 15:00

@PvdEijk

I apologize for your experience, with ProSupport.  Im working on getting you some help, Thx! 

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

September 19th, 2013 15:00

Let me know if you have any more issues, and I apologize again for your experience with ProSupport.

thx!

October 8th, 2013 12:00

I'm running 13.04 on the XPS 13 with the AR9462 card and still having slow internet. I've tried installing linux-generic-lts-quantal but it's saying it can't be found.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

4 Posts

October 18th, 2013 13:00

Thanks for the information. This really fixed the wifi issue in brand new Dell XPS 13 developer edition.

I got Windows 8 quick start guide with the box:emotion-3:

2 Posts

October 19th, 2013 13:00

Have read this thread with interest however sadly mine is still having the wifi problem despite the suggestion to install the latest sudo linux-generic-lts-quantal package.

Anyone have any further suggestions?

If I see another CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED message in the syslog i'm going to smash the thing up.  Took a risk going 'Dell' against the advice of my colleagues (software engineers for a very well known internet company) and i'm now seriously starting to regret the decision.

DELL, why oh why did you cut corners and use a cheap and nasty Wifi card in, what should be, one of your flagship laptops?

October 22nd, 2013 16:00

If I see another CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED message in the syslog i'm going to smash the thing up.  Took a risk going 'Dell' against the advice of my colleagues (software engineers for a very well known internet company) and I'm now seriously starting to regret the decision

I've upgraded to 13.10 and I'm still having wifi issues, despite having a new wireless card installed (Atheros AR9462).

I've checked my logs and I'm getting this message often:

NetworkManager[901]: nl_recvmsgs() error: (-33) Dump inconsistency detected, interrupted
whoopsie[1259]: online

I've now had Dell technicians operate on my machines five times in two months. How can I get a refund or replacement?

350 Posts

October 24th, 2013 07:00

"35017651" and Antonio,

I'm sorry about your bad experiences. If you can, it would really help if you could provide information about what APs you're connecting to since Dell Support has not been able to reproduce these errors. I would also recommend trying to remove Network Manager from the equation to see if the behavior is any better. I suspect so if NM is the one that's crashing.

I can assure you that no corners were cut with the change in wireless cards. (Actually, I notice that the Killer 1202 (a.k.a. Atheros 9462) can be bought for less than the Intel Advanced-N 6235.) You would have to talk to ProSupport if you're desiring a refund or replacement.

Also, Antonio, you mentioned difficulty with Ubuntu 13.04 and with 13.10. What behavior did you see with the 12.04 installation that comes with the system?

October 24th, 2013 18:00

If you can, it would really help if you could provide information about what APs you're connecting to since Dell Support has not been able to reproduce these errors.

What information would you need? I've connected to several connections including my home network, public library and at other locations. If you let me know what you need I'll try and provide it

I would also recommend trying to remove Network Manager from the equation to see if the behavior is any better. I suspect so if NM is the one that's crashing.

Can you recommend a replacement? I've heard ok things about wicd but haven't investigated much

I can assure you that no corners were cut with the change in wireless cards. (Actually, I notice that the Killer 1202 (a.k.a. Atheros 9462) can be bought for less than the Intel Advanced-N 6235.) You would have to talk to ProSupport if you're desiring a refund or replacement.

I'm now getting a replacement :-) I was having other issues so I'm glad I can hopefully get a system that works!

Also, Antonio, you mentioned difficulty with Ubuntu 13.04 and with 13.10. What behavior did you see with the 12.04 installation that comes with the system?

My wireless card was replaced soon after I got the system. So, the wireless wasn't that good even then. I've been consistently getting weak signal and drops in connection.

October 24th, 2013 20:00

Asking as a prospective buyer -- are these wireless issues common? Seems like a killer flaw in a laptop designed for portability...

No Events found!