AntonioRoberts
1 Nickel

RE: XPS13 ubuntu wireless issues.

Has anyone had their Intel 62xx WiFi card replaced with a Killer 1202?  Dell have now switched from using the Intels to the Killer cards, that must be for a reason.

I originally had an Intel one that got replaced with a Killer card. The performance increase was notable but a few weeks later got worse again.

A couple of days ago I received a replacement XPS13 and it had a Killer card. I occasionally had wifi problems until today when I uninstalled network manager and installed Wicd. My issue wasn't that internet was slow, just that if I was more than a metre away from the router the signal would drop dramatically (of course resulting in speed decrease). With Wicd this doesn't happen anymore

0 Kudos
MikeH34
1 Copper

This also worked for me. Three weeks after purchase and struggling with wifi in three locations continually dropping out. This solved the problem. Wifi is now stable and usable. Still using 12.04.  Why didn't Dell sort this out at the start?

0 Kudos
ayupmeduck
1 Copper

sudo apt-get install linux-generic-lts-quantal

That worked great for me, thanks. Only issue seems to be that hibernate no longer works. Has anybody asked Dell why this is needed?

0 Kudos
Torg Smith
1 Nickel

I did an Ubuntu update on Thursday and it pulled down a Sputnik wireless enable disable tool. I do not remember exactly what it was called but it was something like that. I did not have any wireless issues on today. I will test it out next week to see if it drops any more.
0 Kudos
ayupmeduck
1 Copper

This worked great for me and fixed the wifi problems, thanks. However, the system will no longer hibernate. Also I have the feeling that power managements is much worse.

I realise that I don't know what the original kernel version was, anybody know how to get back to the linux that it was shipped with?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Torg Smith
1 Nickel

This worked great for me and fixed the wifi problems, thanks. However, the system will no longer hibernate. Also I have the feeling that power managements is much worse.

I realise that I don't know what the original kernel version was, anybody know how to get back to the linux that it was shipped with?

I would be interested in the steps to restore to factory default as well.

I am running the default installed OS with just Ubuntu updates. I just did a uname –r and got the following: 3.2.0.56-generic. I had just done an Ubuntu update last Thursday.

As far as the hibernation goes, if you are talking about it coming out of hibernation while you have it put away and getting real hot, I have that as well. I have been shutting down every time now. If the wireless is wrapped up, I was planning on making a post about the hibernation.

I believe Dell is trying to get a viable Linux desktop out, as they are pushing updates out in the updater. I am staying with version 12.04 and the default setup as much as possible. The only intrusive thing I have done so far is to disable the key logger. Now I do not consider a prompt change or setting up aliases as intrusive. I have needed to do an apt-get for several development libraries as I prefer platform development. I am using Eclipse with the CDT plugin.

EDIT: I should note that my hibernation issues were from before my updates last Thursday. I do not know the best way to test this. After I do some testing to see if the wireless drops next week, I may just leave it in hibernation next to me and see if it turns on. I think that may have happened the day it turned on when I had it put away.

0 Kudos
ayupmeduck
1 Copper

For what it's worth, after the "sudo apt-get install linux-generic-lts-quantal" I have:

$ uname -r
3.5.0-43-generic

0 Kudos
cheiff
1 Copper

Hi,

I don't know it this fits here or if I should open a new issue.

I am having problems with the wifi, too; brand new XPS13 with ubuntu preinstalled. Out of the box, bluetooth did not work. Tried many things.

I ended up installing kubuntu 13.10, no sputnik PPAs.

Everything works fine, but the wifi constantly disconnecting. I have an atheros 9462.

What is more annoying, and this my biggest concern:

my ssh connections are choppy, I get random delays, huge timeouts, etc.

I connect constantly to many different servers and I get always the same problem: you type some text, text does not come out, you wait, type a bit more, then all previous text appears, it stops again.... is really annoying.

I spend most of my time in ssh using vim, so this is killing my productivity and my nerves.

I connect to these same servers with other computers and never experienced something similar.

This happens with many different wifi spots, always the same.

On the other hand I can browse the internet without any problems, pages load normally.

I have tried the fix that appears on

https://dev.uabgrid.uab.edu/wiki/ExperiencesWithSputnik#WirelessIssues

for this card and rebooted. The wifi connection seems to be more stable now (only a few minutes now since I rebooted) but I still get this ssh annoying random-delay.

As I have no possibility of attaching an ethernet cord, I am bound to this wifi.

Any hint? Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
jhweaver
1 Copper

Hey Chieff,

To help with ssh connections, I recommend using screen.  Then if you drop or your session becomes slow, at least you wont lose your work when you re-connect.  I know it's not a solution, but thought I would mention it anyway.  https://www.gnu.org/software/screen/

0 Kudos
cheiff
1 Copper

Hi jhweaver,

thank you for your tip. I use tmux, which is more or less the same. It is not a problem of getting disconnected; it is a problem of getting long delays between keystrokes and visual confirmation on the shell.

I am still debugging if that may have nothing to do with the laptop, though.

Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos