mythblstr
1 Nickel

Attempting to install XP on my XPS 630i and getting the blue screen of death!

XPS 630i
Intel Core2 processor Q8200 (2.33GHz,1333FSB) w/Quad Core Technology and 4MB cache
8GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4X2GB
NVIDIA GEFORCE 9800GT,SLI
500GB NCQ SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM) w/ 16MB Data Burst Cache
X-Fi PCI Sound Card
NVIDIA Motherboard
- Don't know, haven't been able to locate model of motherboard!

I am attempting to install XP Pro on my XPS 630i. I receive the blue screen of death as soon as the files start loading. I was told earlier that it is because  my SATA drive is not recognized by the drivers on the Win XP CD. I was told I could go into the "Onboard Devices" in BIOS and modify AHCI to ATA.  In My BIOS the closest thing I have to "Onboard Devices" is "Integrated peripherals" under the Advanced tab. I wasn't able to locate anywhere I could modify the SATA defaults.

The other route I was told I could take is to slipstream the SATA drivers into the Win XP CD. I have only found 1 set of drivers associated with the SATA drive and they are called "nVidia MediaShield" . I am not sure if this is the correct driver because I believe this is a RAID Controller driver but there is not enough info to determine what the "nVidia MediaShield"  driver is actually for. Can anyone tell me what driver and where I can locate it to slipstream into the XP CD?

Can anyone help give me a clue how to get my XPS 630i to recognize my XP CD?

Help!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Davet50
6 Indium

Re: Attempting to install XP on my XPS 630i and getting the blue screen of death!

Download this file <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>. Run the file to extract it as it is a compressed .exe file. Then you will need to slipstream the file into the XP disk

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos
mythblstr
1 Nickel

Re: Attempting to install XP on my XPS 630i and getting the blue screen of death!

Thank you Davet50, I finaly got XP to install using the NVIDIA Media Shield driver with nLite to install the SATA drivers and create an XP Pro Installation disk. Now I am missing one driver for an "unknown device" in the device manager, after I find that one (if there is one for XP)  I'm all set!

I'm not much of a Vista fan.

PS I wanted to flag this post as resolved but I couldn't figure out where or how to do it!

Thank you,

John

0 Kudos