Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

May 2nd, 2007 13:00

BIOS Update

Hi! In the dell support center I found a new BIOS for my laptop (dell latitude d820) but the only way to update the current bios is: #1 With a boot floppy (i do not have one) #2 With windows None of them is suitable to me, because I use Linux. My question is: Is there any way of updating the bios from Linux? Best regards, LL

20 Posts

May 2nd, 2007 13:00

Sorry, don't have time to research the details (two hours until final exam!!), but here is possible route for you to check into, or for someone else to comment on. What about using FreeDos? I would look into adding a grub menu entry to boot a premade freedos image in which I had copied the bios executable onto. However, I don't know at this point if this is possible. I would be leary about using one of the DOS/Windows emulators under linux without hearing some first hand experience with it first. Or if you can burn CDROM's, look into making a FreeDos bootable CDROM with an image that has the executable copied to it. You could find a premade image, mount it via loopback under linux, copy the executable to it, unmount it and then burn it.

Message Edited by metalsailer on 05-02-2007 10:57 AM

May 2nd, 2007 19:00

You could boot from a bootable USB memory key and run the BIOS upgrade from there. Do some research, it would appear that this is the safest method. http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm
No Events found!