Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 8th, 2009 18:00

Bad experience for Dell with Microsoft windows vista home 64bit combination

Recently I purchased dell windows vista home premium 64 bit laptop.. I had very bad experience with Microsoft windows vista specially for 64 bit.Can anybody let me know how to downgrade to windows XP professional.

14.4K Posts

May 10th, 2009 08:00

I have had nothing but good experiences with X64 vista. I would not go back to XP if you paid me. Sure if you have older equipment or proprietary software then you might have issues, but most of the bad about Vista is highly blown out of proportion.

Vista 64 is far more stable and robust then XP every though of being. Sure you have to learn the OS a bit but it is not as bad as it is made out to be.

And Win 7 which is Vista on steroids  will be the final death nail in the XP coffin.

37 Posts

May 10th, 2009 08:00

Has ANYBODY had a GOOD experience with Vista?  Not me!  I can't believe Dell stopped shipping XP when I ordered a new laptop for my wife for Christmas.  Geez.  

I saw an Old Version of XP on Amazon.com today for $49.  

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Professional-Old-Version/dp/B00005MOTH/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1241964017&sr=1-12

Legitimate versions of XP are getting pricey and they are disappearing fast.  If you really want XP you should buy it soon.  This one says it's the Old Version.  That means you'll have to download XP SP1, SP2 and SP3 as well has a hundred patches after you install it.  If you want a newer version that includes SP3, it will cost over 3 times as much.  Ouch!

You might also consider switching to Linux.  Linux is FREE Open Source.  Dell recommends Ubuntu Linux 8.04 LTS.  You can download the ISO file for free here, burn it to a CD, then boot from the CD to install it:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

The only problem with Linux is that you can't run Microsoft Office.  If you don't like Linux, you can always reinstall Vista.  Another option would be to install Windows 7 Release Candidate 1.  It's a 1 year trial of Microsoft's latest OS Windows 7.  It fixes some of Vista's bugs.  I tried it and YES, it is better than Vista.  Download it here for free:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

6 Posts

May 16th, 2009 18:00

I'm happy that VISTA 64 is working for you - for me on my Studio 1535 -  I have slow, intermittant internet connections on wireless and direct connect to cable broadband, simple games like Spider Solitaire continually blue screen, and too much of the open source code available on the internet doesn't work with VISTA 64 - not too mention the limited hardware certified by Microsoft. 

I've spent five months fighting VISTA 64 and then downgrading to XP.  I don't know if it's DELL or Microsoft - I don't care.   I don't care if the support for hardware goes away, I don't care if the support for software goes away,  I just want my sister-in-law's Christmas present to work.  XP does, VISTA 64 does not

37 Posts

May 17th, 2009 07:00

Thanks for your post.  After reading that, I probably won't be buying a 64 bit version of Windows 7.  The only real advantage I see with a 64 bit OS is to address more than 3gb of RAM.  For me, 2gb of RAM is plenty, even for virtualization.  Having 2 identical dual channel 1gb memory modules is plenty for home use.  It even works great with VMWare and 1 or 2 virtual clients.  Heck, Ubuntu Linux runs great with only 1gb of memory and no swap file.  

No Events found!