Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2015 19:00

Bootable USB hard disk- Ubuntu boot failed on E7450

Hi,   

I have created a bootable USB hard disk for Ubuntu 12.04 TLS (Seagate BUP Slim SL USB 2TB, ext4 file system), it can boot from Latitude Dell E6420 BIOS. When Dell E6420 boot (Legacy boot), just press F12 and switch to USB storage device boot, the Ubuntu grub shows out and system runs fine.

Now I upgrade my laptop to Dell Latitude E7450, with the same steps (Legacy boot) as E6420, it is failed to boot. There is an error message say “Select boot device failed, Press any key to reboot the system”. I have tried this case on another E7450 Laptop, got the same failure.

Looks like the E7450 BIOS is not compatible as E6420's. How to fix this problem? Any configuration on E7450 BIOS side?

Best Regards.

Marvin

2.3K Posts

December 8th, 2015 12:00

So i'm not good with Linux at all but two things popped into my head when reading your post.  First off when you boot does it get anywhere or is it immediately stating that the boot device failed?  If so, does the E7450 have secure boot enabled in the bios/uefi?  I have heard a ton of people state that if secure boot is enabled, nothing but windows will work.  Second if it does start to boot but then fails, maybe its a configuration problem with the linux distro, sort of like how you can't transfer an installed copy of windows from one computer to another because the drivers don't match.  If that is the case you may have to install linux fresh on this new machine.  

14 Posts

January 27th, 2016 18:00

As beamermt79 stated, UEFI could be the problem. If you can't turn if off, try searching for ubuntu UEFI install; many, many pages talking about this, and how to install.

Another issue is trying to install 12.04 on a newer system. You might try using 14.04, as it has updated drivers for newer hardware, that 12.04 lacks.

No Events found!