Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 31st, 2008 15:00

DELL linux iso's

is there a dell xps-720 specific iso for ubuntu?

i run an xps 720 with 7950gx2 quad-sli,xfi which does work under linux now (wahoo finally) with the new oss drivers.

4gb ram,core 2 extreme

ubuntu doesnt seem to like my system i am running raid0 to complicate things.

fedora 8 and opensuse install fine.

i would like a 64bit version of the latest ubuntu to hack around with...

20 Posts

for those that have xfi sound cards

these drivers do work well.

http://www.opensound.com/linux.html

51 Posts

X-fi works in Linux! Coolness ... I'll have to go reinstall my sound card now.

51 Posts

Oh wait ... the licence is only valid for 6 months, then you have to go and download and install it again? Too much hassel. I'll stick with my current on-board sound until the ALSA project produces something.

20 Posts

March 31st, 2008 16:00

maybe so but like a 2 minute job hehe

11 Posts

April 1st, 2008 11:00

I would like to ask some things:

- why there aren't the drivers for Ubuntu on the Dell's website? 8of course only in the country where it's selled)

-  is it possible to download an iso of the Ubuntu distro which is designed to work on the dell pcs?

20 Posts

April 1st, 2008 12:00

that was kinda what my first question is about.i am looking for dell specific ubuntu or any other distro for that matter iso's.

4 Posts

April 3rd, 2008 15:00

I would also be interested in an offical ISO of Ubuntu or any other distro for DELL.

I've bought an inspiron 6400 with Vista just to format it the next day to install windows xp on it. 

But recently I just moved to openSUSE 10.3 and I'm very happy with it, before  SUSE my choice would be Ubuntu which has great support for this laptop but it feels like it's missing something.

If DELL sells laptops with Ubuntu installed ,it should distribute drivers and software that is installed in it in a free and open form so that users of other distros can benefit from them as well.  

11 Posts

April 3rd, 2008 16:00

Right. Is it possible to send this request to Dell?

4 Posts

April 9th, 2008 08:00

I think that we can send an email to someone at Dell and ask for an ISO.

Since Ubuntu has a GPL license or something similar than Dell should provide an option to obtain their Ubuntu version free of charge.

For example,Red hat is selling Red hat enterprise linux but also distributes source RPM's so that anyone can rebuild them and redistribute them freely or even sell them.

It would be a shame if they force me to buy a laptop with Windows vista in Israel without any option to buy a laptop with Ubuntu or get an ISO of their Ubuntu so I can install it myself later.(I already bought a laptop with vista).

Dell's version of Ubuntu is very important to all of us because I think/hope it has better hardware support or some necessary customizations  to handle power managment,special buttons and other important features.

20 Posts

April 9th, 2008 11:00

there are some iso's here   http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_7.04#Download_Dell_Ubuntu_Image                               but what i am looking for is xps-720 specific.

not a big deal as ubuntu loads fine i am always looking for something new.

also dell's linux ftp has some cool stuff also

http://linux.dell.com/monitoring.shtml  just make sure ya know what you are doing befor messing with these repo's

11 Posts

April 10th, 2008 08:00

absolutely right. In some days the new Long term release Ubuntu 8.04 will be out.

I'd like that Dell will release soon a version of this distro adapted for the dell laptops and computers.

Please support the request at IdeaStorm:

http://www.ideastorm.com/article/show/10086436/Provide_ubuntus_next_LTS_iso_100_compatible_with_Dell

Message Edited by Shaikailash on 04-10-2008 04:41 AM
No Events found!