Start a Conversation

Unsolved

U

1 Message

July 31st, 2019 02:00

Dell Latitude 7370 and Potential Downgrade of OG Thunderbolt implement.

Hello

Ive been very curious about the Thunderbolt implementation in this laptop since I got it. I presumed, because I was told so and it was in a manual, that there were (2) fully implemented Thunderbolt 3 ports, one with charging as well.

Interestingly, I have a manual dated 2016 and the exact same revision number as the newest one, that says under the Specs heading that the 2 full ports is the spec.

However Dell's current manual has changed that, or at some point in the past, and the same section now reads : One full Thunderbolt 3 port, and One DC--In port for charging.

As mentioned, both manuals have the same revision codes, major and minor. The newer one says 2017 and the older 2016. The older manual I downloaded from CNET after reading some of the same complaints on reddit, claiming they altered the 2nd port for charge only.

Has anyone experienced any major changes in multi Thunderbolt 3 port functionality downgrading to DC IN only with either my model or anything close in range? I'd like to really verify is there was in fact a change or if the CNET manual perhaps slipped out pre-release or something. Although this model was released in 2015 I believe. 

It was speculated there was a firmware change that made this happen, BIOS or TB chip I don't know, and that it was in 2018 sometime before October.

Im happy to attach both manuals but don't think I can. If you're interested have a look at Dells current owners manual for a 7370 and then google for ,  or download the one on CNET. 

I spoke with a Dell Rep tonight who got a little defensive when I told him I have two manuals of different years, all else basically the same, but one altered to show a hardware modification. He said it wasn't possible and that the CNET manual was maybe put out before the laptop came out. I have a hard time believing that. I'm currently trying to find any articles or marketing material that would help confirm either way....although I've looked through Dell's many articles and I see some rather recent ones talking about the limited nature of TB ports, and what charging ports are used for, not really anywhere near the time the laptop was released. It seems a bit strange.

Cheers

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 21st, 2019 07:00

USB-C and thunderbolt use the same connector.

HOWEVER they are not the same.

You cannot have 2 thunderbolt 3 ports because there are not 2 controllers nor is there bandwidth on the bus to support that.

This is also why you cannot use 2 TB Docks and Latitude 13 7370  needs at LEAST 180W power brick to use this dock.  I grew tired of supporting users who confuse look for spec for watts and mix up adapters.  All my users are required to carry around the 330W brick so that they are sure they have one that has no issues.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

No Events found!