Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

18 Posts

August 30th, 2019 19:00

Dell XPS 15 7590 suspend not working in Linux

I purchased Dell XPS 15 (7590, GTX1650,OLED) as many people recommended the notebook as Linux friendly. Unfortunately, I don't really think the notebook is Linux friendly at all. I have a lot of issues with this notebook with Linux Debian OS installed.

The most annoying problem I am dealing with is power management, in particular suspend.

1. I don't know whether the notebook is suspended. There are no lights indicating if the notebook is running or not.
  2. When I close the lid, the screen turns off, but after few seconds the screen turns back on. I don't understand how the screen can turn on while lid is closed. Most notebooks do not allow screen to be turned on while lid closed (as far my experience goes).
  3. I often hear fans spinning after suspend. Seems like the suspend does not work, but again, not sure if the notebook is or is not suspended when the lid is closed. There is no light indication as on other notebook on Thinkpad or Aero.
  4. I have issues to start the notebook from suspend. Hitting keys as I do with Aero or Thinkpad does not seem to work. I don't know if I have to use short or long press of the power button, because the notebook does not indicate if its on or off.

Other minor problems are:

1. Killer AX1650 wifi/bluetooth does not have firmware in packages and one has to compile it. I think this will eventually be resolved over time. But I would expect Dell to put more effort to work with Linux distribution to push this trough.
  2. Dell docking WD19TB does not work well. I am not sure yet if this is related to window manager (KDE), but I experience issues like:
    • i am not able to make 2x 4K monitors to work with the docking
    • when I connect just one 4K monitor it takes about 30 seconds to reconnect and resolution jumps to basic 640x480. This happens every time I want to reconnect the docking.
    • Sometimes it completely freezes and I have to disconnect the docking and reconnect it again.

I am thinking to call Dell and ask them if they can take it back, because I am extremely frustrated with the power management and the fact that I don't know if the notebook sleeps or not. For that reason the notebook often overheats in my bag.

I can live with the other nuisances, but I expect power management to work as with other notebooks I have. I have been using Thinkpads and also Gibabyte Aero 14 with Linux for years and never experienced any power management issues.

Do you have any advise how to fix the power management issues or this is simply how Dell works.

18 Posts

August 31st, 2019 04:00

I have done some digging and here is quick summary of the problem.

The issue is attributed to the fact that XPS 15 (7590) and probably other XPS notebooks do not support S3 (suspend to mem or "sleep") system state, but using new S0ix system state, which is a new set of sub-states for the ACPI S0 active state.

According to several sources, S0ix does not play well with Linux. Many other manufactures like Lenovo added "Legacy S3" sleep/suspend bios support to deal with the issues. I guess Dell did not not.

You can read this article which includes a lot of information: https://01.org/blogs/qwang59/2018/how-achieve-s0ix-states-linux

You can also search for "S3 vs S0ix system states linux" to find out more information.

I will try to make suspend work with S0ix and report back after few days.

18 Posts

August 31st, 2019 05:00

So far it looks like that the problem is caused by bluetooth devices (I use mouse and external keyboard).

As written here: https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.15/admin-guide/pm/sleep-states.html

"Suspend-to-Idle - The system is woken up from this state by in-band interrupts, so theoretically any devices that can cause interrupts to be generated in the working state can also be set up as wakeup devices for S2Idle."

When I disable Bluetooth, I can suspend fine and it stays suspended. I can resume by pressing any key on the keyboard.

I am investigating how to turn off bluetooth before suspend and turn bluetooth back when resumed.

18 Posts

August 31st, 2019 07:00

9.4K Posts

September 4th, 2019 10:00

Hi ganomi, 

Thanks for posting and for providing your service tag information in Private Message.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

We've responded to your Private Message and will continue to work with you there to preserve the safety of your information.  Thanks.

September 5th, 2019 17:00

I can second that. The same thing is happening to my computer.

Happy to send my service tag in a private message.

Looking forward to finding a solution to it.

18 Posts

September 6th, 2019 00:00

After further testing, I believe you will have profound issues with the S0ix power state.

The worst in my case is that:

1. the laptop will wake up while the lid is closed with the screen turned on. As I have OLED, I am really concerned about burned-in, because its hard to notice the notebook and screen is on  while the lid is closed.
  2. The fact the laptop wakes up drains the battery and if I have the notebook in my bag, it gets really hot.

In summary, I think this notebook is really not suitable for any Linux. I would also argue that the new S0ix state is better than S3. It only drains your battery. I also think they do not thought about Bluetooth devices being attached to the notebook, which might wake it up without your knowledge.

What I don't really understand is that Dell lets the notebook to turn on screen while the lid is closed. This can be especially devastating for OLED screens because the lock screen has got the same graphics and the notebook can sit there for hours. I believe most laptop manufactures do not let the screen on when you close the lid. Obviously, there is no reason to have the screen powered while the lid is closed, so why not have hardware built in feature to switch it off.

I am very disappointed that Dell is saying this is suitable laptop for Linux and not providing any fixes for these profound issues.

18 Posts

September 7th, 2019 01:00

I believe that I have found a workaround to disallow bluetooth to wake up.

List devices which can wake up the notebook from sleep:

cat /proc/acpi/wakeup | grep enable

PEG0 S4 *enabled pci:0000:00:01.0
RP01 S4 *enabled pci:0000:00:1c.0
RP05 S4 *enabled pci:0000:00:1c.4
RP09 S4 *enabled pci:0000:00:1d.0
RP17 S4 *enabled pci:0000:00:1b.0
PXSX S4 *enabled pci:0000:02:00.0
XHC S0 *enabled pci:0000:00:14.0
LID0 S3 *enabled platform:PNP0C0D:00
PBTN S3 *enabled platform:PNP0C0C:00

Look for XHC device. You can match the device by running "lspci"

Disable wakup

echo XHC > /proc/acpi/wakeup

If I send the notebook to sleep "echo freeze > /sys/power/state" it should stay in sleep even if you move BT mouse or hit key on BT keyboard.

I hope this helps a little. I still don't know how much battery drain I will experience with the above setting, but I will report back after testing.

18 Posts

September 15th, 2019 19:00

After additional testing my battery discharge rate while in sleep is about 10% per hour.

• 

25K Posts

September 16th, 2019 00:00

Hello, I’m your Dell virtual assistant. I see you've opened a thread.

In order for me to review your system configuration, Could you Private note me the Service Tag / Express Service Code?

Refer the below link to find the Service Tag:

https://dell.to/2O46AX6

3 Posts

September 24th, 2019 15:00

I have the same problems as the author. Subscribing to the thread and sent my service tag. I am running Manjaro (Arch distro) and I had Dell XPS 9570 which worked OK with Linux. With this laptop (7590) I had: 1) not working wifi/bluetooth - upgraded kernel to v5 2) not working suspend/resume (still not working) 3) laggy bluetooth (very glitch mouse behavior). 

1 Message

October 26th, 2019 17:00

I am finding to get this laptop to really be useable at all in a functional laptop use case of shutting closing the lid to put to sleep, putting it in a bag, and then taking it back out to use and even plugging it into a Thunderbolt 3 docking station I had to do a combination of installing the more experimental Ubuntu 19.10 and disable Bluetooth.  I am also trying it out with the video driver mode set to Intel only.  So it looks like improved support is on the way, but probably not going to work too well at all in a stable distro release as there you are working with older software.  It seems there is the interrelated deal of the new suspend routines and Bluetooth not working too great with this laptop.

It would be really nice if:
1. Legacy suspend mode was programmed into the BIOS so longer running Linux distros can do a better job at suspend / resume using the older command.
2. Bluetooth fixed up to suspend / resume under Linux and not wake the laptop from sleep.
3. Packaged WiFi drivers backported to popular stable Linux distros.

Overall, there are plenty enough Linux users out there to justify the relatively little bit of developer time it would take to get this properly implemented and thus Linux users happy on this laptop.

I suppose at least with just some work on the Bluetooth driver to handle suspend / resume, as stable, long term releases come out over the next year or so incorporating all of the latest software, this laptop will work a lot better with Linux.  Distros stuck on older software will still fail.

1 Message

November 7th, 2019 18:00

Regarding the WD19TB and dual 4k displays.

This doesn't seem to be documented anywhere, but the only way to get dual 4k display output is to connect at least one of the monitors using usb-c cable.

18 Posts

November 7th, 2019 21:00

Should not be the case. Dell XPS has got 4lines TB port. The docking is able to display at least 2x 4K.

I purchased Thinkpad X1 Extreme and I can run 2x 4K monitor over 1 TB port and docking.

4 Posts

January 22nd, 2020 03:00

Hi,

I tried this solution:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_XPS_15_9570#Suspend, meaning setting the mem_sleep to "deep".

That seems to do the trick

cat /sys/power/mem_sleep 
# [s2idle] deep

echo deep|sudo tee /sys/power/mem_sleep
cat /sys/power/mem_sleep 
# s2idle [deep]

Once this has been done, you can simply add a param to your GRUB

# /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="%%OTHER_OPTIONS%% mem_sleep_default=deep"

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2020 08:00

@dgoosens thanks for suggestion but I already tried that. Starting from 7590 that's not working. The laptop goes to suspend but it cannot resume. 

No Events found!