Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 10th, 2018 00:00

Dell xps 13 9370 Webcam support

I got my dell xps yesterday. It is the developers edition that come with ubuntu 16.04 preinstalled. 

I notice that cheese does not come installed, so I installed but no webcam is detected. I can see it if I do an lsusb, so I know is activated.

I was wondering, does this laptop supports the webcam or not?

Edit: Good news, a dell engineer came and replace the monitor, that has the webcam integrated and presto, it is working now.

Update: Most of the problems with the webcam is not hardware based. Looks like many of the laptops come with a firmware that the latest Linux kernel do not support at the moment. To solve the issue, Dell is replacing the whole monitor with a downgrade firmware of the webcam. If a less drastic solution is reported, I will update the post with it.

Update2: Looks like there is a software solution now. 

1 Message

May 18th, 2018 02:00

It works on KDE Neon too. Thanks!

2 Posts

May 18th, 2018 05:00

You don't need to rebuild the entire kernel but just a single module (uvcvideo), here is an example on  debian stretch :

- Get source and headers for your current kernel :

apt-get install linux-source-4.9  linux-headers-amd64

- Untar and configure :

cd /usr/src/linux-source-4.9

make oldconfig

cp -v /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)/Module.symvers .

make prepare

make modules_prepare

make scripts

- Apply patch  : https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/5/8/1117

- Build the kernel module an install it :

cd drivers/media/usb/uvc

make -C /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build M=$(pwd) modules

make -C /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build M=$(pwd) modules_install

- Load new module 

depmod 

rmmod uvcvideo

modprobe -f uvcvideo

- Extra Step

delete /lib/modules/4.9.0-6-amd64/extra/uvcvideo.ko if you want to go back to original kernel module

20 Posts

May 25th, 2018 00:00

If you are using Ubuntu 16.04 or 17.10 and want to help verifying the fix for the webcam so that it is included in the next round of updates, please follow the instructions in the following message:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/+source/linux-oem/+bug/1763748/comments/43

I already verified the patch for Ubuntu 18.04, so if you are using this version you should get an update for the kernel that includes the patch in the coming days.

2 Posts

May 29th, 2018 09:00

Hello, any news when the update will be available for 18.04 ? it was not in today's updates.

20 Posts

May 30th, 2018 01:00

The update is already in the Ubuntu "proposed" repository, and has been verified for 18.04 and 17.10. But it still has not been "released" so it is not yet in the normal updates. It is expected to be soon. For 16.04 it looks like an additional commit is needed, but it is also expected to be out soon. This is the relevant bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/+source/linux-oem/+bug/1763748

3 Posts

June 5th, 2018 08:00

Bump. Any movement on this fix?

June 6th, 2018 09:00

2 Posts

June 7th, 2018 08:00

So, I followed these instructions exactly.  When I rebooted my laptop, the webcam worked!

However, at the next update, apt wants to replace these kernels with a newer version, which again breaks the camera.  So, are there only two options: latest kernel and no webcam, or pin this older kernel and have a webcam?

1 Message

June 7th, 2018 09:00

Hi there,

I just acquired a Dell XPS 13 and I'm having some trouble with the webcam as well. The USB device is actually listed by the USB bus, but it is not detected by the uvcvideo device driver (which I think is the right one for this device). I'm using the ubuntu 16.04 preinstalled by Dell. I can see you have a solution for this, so can you please share with me the link?

Thank you

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

June 13th, 2018 14:00

Here's the Dell Official Solution:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln310695/xps-9360-9370-camera-non-functional-with-150-firmware-in-ubuntu-1604?lang=en

1. To apply the fix run the following in terminal:
    sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-16.04
    xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04
  2. Reboot the system.
  3. To test, install the cheese camera app and run it.
  4. If you do not have it installed you can install it using this command in terminal:
    sudo apt-get install cheese

Also note that there will be a factory cut in this month, so that newly shipped systems won't have this problem out-of-the-box.

13 Posts

June 13th, 2018 16:00

Do you have any hints on when this may land in Fedora, too?

1 Message

June 13th, 2018 16:00

this did not work for me. Is there anything else i need to do?

4 Posts

June 14th, 2018 11:00

I got the following error while installing. However, cheese now works fine. Is this something I should worry about?

Error!  The dkms.conf for this module includes a BUILD_EXCLUSIVE directive which does not match this kernel/arch.  This indicates that it should not be built.

5 Posts

June 16th, 2018 01:00

Hi Guys, 

I have solved this issue with pre release of Ubuntu (xenial)

Go to settings -> software and updates -> Developer Options 

check pre-released updates for (xenial-proposed)

click close

go to About this computer and do system update and reboot. It solved.

It has be released in pre releases but not on the main branch of xenial i guess

Since I am using it for devleopment purpose I don't mind using pre releases. I also noticed sound was improved with pre released. 

2 Posts

June 18th, 2018 01:00

I updated my Dell XPS 13" this morning (Ubuntu 18.04) and the latest version of the kernel includes the webcam driver. Tested with success with Cheese this morning. And I will test with Hangout this afternoon.

Thanks guys, great work !

No Events found!